Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 10:45 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Lollll.... So your source is a criminologist that has no respect among his peers and can only find a job on a morning show that is just sad sad sad... That show is all about "dirty laundry" nothing else.... ? That morning show is all about scoundrel and nothing else. That and taking about actors and actresses...

Might as well add to your sources a criminologia of É! Channel
That's nonsense. How do you know the guy has no respect among his peers when you don't even know who it was?
It is a light morning program, yes, but the crime section is dead serious, so to speak. And the people they invite are police investigators, lawyers and other experts of good reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 11:56 AM

560 posts, read 599,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's nonsense. How do you know the guy has no respect among his peers when you don't even know who it was?
It is a light morning program, yes, but the crime section is dead serious, so to speak. And the people they invite are police investigators, lawyers and other experts of good reputation.
I can assure you I know what programs you are talking about. So yes, these investigators that go to those programs are just plain disrespected.

No, the invited lawyers, criminalists and such are not respected. No respected lawyer would go to those shows in the morning. They are just a circle of snakes talking crap about each other.

As for the criminalist you are talking about is probably either this guy

Or the one from the other channel. Which one is worse I can't even say.

These morning shows are all about controversy and nothing more. Alas what the Daily Mirror is known for in the UK. Just a tabloid to raise and stir the pot, so to speak. They are targeted as an "entertainment" for the eldery population and preys on the innocent and ignorant.

And I think I know a bit about portuguese culture since I am one. Born and raised in Lisbon and Cascais.

As others have said in this thread, it;s laughable to say that it was normal/common for father's to have relations with their daughters. As if that's something part of the culture. I don't know what kind of people you hang out with, but no, I am sorry that is not the case. Sure there are disgusting people. That is true in Portugal, Spain or anywhere in the world. You can find a rapist anywhere in the world.

However, I find that your experience is not what is perceived by the majority of people. I have friends from all countries and continents and they all say the same - they love portuguese for the friendliness and genuity. Many times I was told by travelers and acquaintaces that it was the place where they felt more at home and only in Portugal you could be in the middle of nowhere and end up in a modest family house where an older lady is giving you food because you look too skinny and need to eat - true story here.

All the experiences from friends and fellow Erasmus students is the same. There has to be a reason why Portugal is so popular amongst Erasmus students - most of whom end up returning back to Portugal to live or continue their professional careers, sometimes with a negative financial outcome (since wages are not as high).

I have learnt this from Americans, Italians, Germans, British, Swedish and many other cultures alike.

Last edited by Lusitano_; 02-08-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 12:17 PM

No, that is not the guy I meant. It was on TVI. I don't watch those morning programs often, but when I do, I avoid SIC as I just can't stand Cristina Ferreira

And again, your claim is wrong. The invitees are usually respected people. The only guy I don't take seriously is a fat psychologist, don't know his name, who seems to be the station's default psychologist for any topic. Some of his views for instance on gypsies are polemic.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 PM

560 posts, read 599,733 times
Quote:
I am not so sure the Portuguese really are that friendly. I am afraid much of the perceived friendliness is pretty superficial, you know, sucking up to tourists. If people here were so nice, why does the country have such a huge problem of domestic and other violence? There is a latent aggression in this society that scares me at times. Some of it due to an outdated Latino macho mentality, some of it due to the permanent state of tipsiness. Not to mention the widespread availability of illegal weapons. It is also a society that likes to torture animals, which is also telling.
The data tells otherwise. 2nd safest place to live in the world, trumped only by Denmark. Sorry that you have such a miserable life in a country you hate so much.

As for illegal weapons... seriously? Gun ownership in Portugal is probably very low. Anyhow, it's safer to be traveling anywhere in Portugal than in the US for example.

As for the invitees being respected people. No they are not. But thats fine

Old 02-08-2019, 02:07 PM

It is safe for foreigners like me, but there is rampant domestic and other violence among natives. If you live here, you should know, it is in the news all the time these days.
Yes, there are way too many guns around, and too many drugs.

Tourists/foreigners are usually unaware of the problems in this country.

Yes, they are.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
It is safe for foreigners like me, but there is rampant domestic and other violence among natives. If you live here, you should know, it is in the news all the time these days.

Yes, they are.
There's no place in the world where you cannot easily get drugs.

I seriously doubt Portugal has anywhere near the gun violence of the United States or Brazil.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
True that. It's hard to find a rude Portuguese person. Heck, I have met more friendlier Germans abroad than Spaniards (Andalusians excepted). I even found people in Paris more accommodating than Madrileños. I tried to speak both languages with locals but Parisians were more understanding believe it or not. Now as with everything YMMV. I just stated my experience, that I personally get on well better with the Portuguese. NyWriterdude's so rude and doesn't accept differing opinions. I base my opinion on the behavior of Portuguese out of Portugal mostly, they didn't profit from any tourist money by me. We were all working abroad for co's like IBM, Microsoft etc.

Portuguese are As friendly as Latin and North Americans. I guess being surrounded by a hostile country and the ocean made them unique as most European societies are dour and unfriendly, hostile even. Czechs are the worst.
I questioned you making your assessment on just 5 people. On whether people in Portugal are more friendly or not, I have no opinion as I've only spent a week in Lisbon and it was certainly not enough time to make a sound assessment.

After a year in Catalonia and four months in Andalusia, I do like people in Andalucia better.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:06 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I questioned you making your assessment on just 5 people. On whether people in Portugal are more friendly or not, I have no opinion as I've only spent a week in Lisbon and it was certainly not enough time to make a sound assessment.

After a year in Catalonia and four months in Andalusia, I do like people in Andalucia better.
Yeah! No kidding!

Old 02-10-2019, 09:24 AM

630 posts, read 526,413 times
Quote:

Yes, they are.
Are you sure you didn't mean to post in the Mexico forum?

Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's no place in the world where you cannot easily get drugs.

I seriously doubt Portugal has anywhere near the gun violence of the United States or Brazil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Are you sure you didn't mean to post in the Mexico forum?

Of course it is not as bad as in those three countries, but still, there are a lot of illegal weapons around, there is arms smuggling and everything. Portugal has become a hub for smuggling of all sorts (including humans), probably due to the long coastline.

And where firearms are not available, the knife seems to do the trick, lots of stabbing going on in domestic violence cases.

https://www.newsdeeply.com/womenandg...olence-problem

Despite the efforts mentioned in the article, January 2019 already set a new record for such murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe