Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 AM

403 posts, read 221,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The Sherpa. Russian off road vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srgi1OZff2o

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!
How many miles per gallon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 11:28 AM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
The Sherpa. Russian off road vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srgi1OZff2o

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

As one Russian guy referred once to this type of vehicles - "and anything else we can invent and come up with, in order to not to fix our roads."

Old 12-19-2018, 12:37 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
As one Russian guy referred once to this type of vehicles - "and anything else we can invent and come up with, in order to not to fix our roads."
Russia's roads are part of the national defense system. German Panzers beat themselves to death on them, sunk into them and we're used as pothole fillers by T-34s.

Look into the wear and tear stats on German equipment. Astounding.

There's the saying In Russia we don't have roads, we have directions too.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Russia's roads are part of the national defense system. German Panzers beat themselves to death on them, sunk into them and we're used as pothole fillers by T-34s.

Look into the wear and tear stats on German equipment. Astounding.

There's the saying In Russia we don't have roads, we have directions too.

So, were Russian railroads in WWII - I do not remember exactly, but, I think they were designed 10 or 12 cm wider than Western European. So, Germans wasted their time adjusting to them. And, then, of course, try to unload them. It was not France for sure.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post

So, were Russian railroads in WWII - I do not remember exactly, but, I think they were designed 10 or 12 cm wider than Western European. So, Germans wasted their time adjusting to them. And, then, of course, try to unload them. It was not France for sure.
Not only were the rails about 10cm wider all rail stations docks were lower than European rolling stock, this lead to problems when loading/unloading heavy equipment. I think that in 1943 the Germans had only converted 2 lines to Euro gauge rails. Warsaw to Smolensk (maybe further east but not much) and Warsaw to Dneiprepetrovsk/Mius River area in the Ukraine. The Germans fought hard for those railheads in the Ukraine (winter 1943) and losses were horrible for them but they gained nothing. This is where the Russians captured some of their first Tiger tanks in a surprise night attack. 12 factory fresh Tigers at a rail station waiting to be unloaded. This is where an atrocity occured also, The Russians found a train filled with wounded and destroyed it. Sparing no one.

Partisans played a major role in distrupting German rail logistics also.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
How many miles per gallon?
It would depend on how roughly you used it. Supposedly this thing has very long legs or so the advertisers say. One test says it went through Yamalia on what they had on board (spare tanks). I'll see what I can find.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
It would depend on how roughly you used it. Supposedly this thing has very long legs or so the advertisers say. One test says it went through Yamalia on what they had on board (spare tanks). I'll see what I can find.
Must have been huge tanks.
I remember our first camper - Tioga Arrow (we were pulling a boat) had 6 or 7 miles per gallon. We went to Key West with it, thought we were saving money on hotels. We had a good time, but gas bill nearly killed us on return.
So, this monstrosity has probably 1 mile per gallon? The design does not look efficient or ergonomic? (the huge wheels and all). It will need a tremendous torque just to get started. In addition the weight (it's own plus gas tanks). Bigger is not always better. I think.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Not only were the rails about 10cm wider all rail stations docks were lower than European rolling stock, this lead to problems when loading/unloading heavy equipment. I think that in 1943 the Germans had only converted 2 lines to Euro gauge rails. Warsaw to Smolensk (maybe further east but not much) and Warsaw to Dneiprepetrovsk/Mius River area in the Ukraine. The Germans fought hard for those railheads in the Ukraine (winter 1943) and losses were horrible for them but they gained nothing. This is where the Russians captured some of their first Tiger tanks in a surprise night attack. 12 factory fresh Tigers at a rail station waiting to be unloaded. This is where an atrocity occured also, The Russians found a train filled with wounded and destroyed it. Sparing no one.

Partisans played a major role in distrupting German rail logistics also.
Can you blame them?
That was 1943. Where do you think they should carry them - back to the forest and feed them and nurture to health?
Besides, look what they did to Stalingrad. Siege of Leningrad was in a progress. At about the same time Luftwaffe was bombing all ships with red crosses crossing Volga.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Can you blame them?
That was 1943. Where do you think they should carry them - back to the forest and feed them and nurture to health?
Besides, look what they did to Stalingrad. Siege of Leningrad was in a progress. At about the same time Luftwaffe was bombing all ships with red crosses crossing Volga.
Sadly, no. The troops were on the move and moving fast, they knew strong German forces were in the area so they could not stop to care for them. Many also witnessed the people's suffering and we're not in the mood to be kind.

I call it an atrocity because that is what it was. Unfortunately a necessary and inevitable evil.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I stopped watching video after I saw gauges on a left side - on top of driver's window. Driver will need a third eye - on a left side, above his ear to drive that thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe