Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:21 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Curvy is fat.
Would you call Scarlett Johanssen, Christina Hendricks, Beyonce and Kim Kardashian fat?

These are some curvy girls. As I think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:13 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I've noticed men are fairly liberal with their body type description as well.

You get a lot of "tall, athletic" types who are actually 5'5 and the closest they come to being athletic is watching football on tv.
Hey, now, easy. Some of those guys are the best football players ever. They can complete every pass and lead their team to a perfect season...On their latest edition of Madden NFL, that is!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:28 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I've noticed men are fairly liberal with their body type description as well.

You get a lot of "tall, athletic" types who are actually 5'5 and the closest they come to being athletic is watching football on tv.
Yep, lots of blatant lying. I actually got in an argument with a guy I met online because he said he was 6'3. I met up with him and I was at least 4" taller than he was. He then proceeded to tell me I was a liar and that it was rude of me to lie about being shorter than I was because I was OBVIOUSLY 6'5 or taller.

It wouldn't have bothered me one bit that he was shorter than I was.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Yes the word 'curvy' is getting hi-jacked. Also the word 'large' seems to mean just fat instead of what I think of as large, meaning just large physical size, height/a large frame etc. Even a pudgy 5'1" woman is called 'large'. This sugar-coating PC bullcrap is getting ridiculous. In the old days no one got offended to call people fat because they ARE fat. What are we going to do, redefine the word 'fat' just so some fat people won't cry over it? People call me skinny, which isn't flattering for a guy, and I don't care, because I AM skinny. Calling me 'thin', 'slim' or 'svelte' won't change that fact, but at least they're more accurate than using 'large' or 'curvy' as euphemisms for 'fat'. Maybe yes, fat women tend to be curvier on average but some women can be fat and not have curves, and some women can be somewhat slim and curvy, it means the fat tends to be in the 'right' places. Although very skinny or anorexic women are almost never curvy, since breasts, hip padding, bum is fat.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes the word 'curvy' is getting hi-jacked. Also the word 'large' seems to mean just fat instead of what I think of as large, meaning just large physical size, height/a large frame etc. Even a pudgy 5'1" woman is called 'large'. This sugar-coating PC bullcrap is getting ridiculous. In the old days no one got offended to call people fat because they ARE fat. What are we going to do, redefine the word 'fat' just so some fat people won't cry over it? People call me skinny, which isn't flattering for a guy, and I don't care, because I AM skinny. Calling me 'thin', 'slim' or 'svelte' won't change that fact, but at least they're more accurate than using 'large' or 'curvy' as euphemisms for 'fat'. Maybe yes, fat women tend to be curvier on average but some women can be fat and not have curves, and some women can be somewhat slim and curvy, it means the fat tends to be in the 'right' places. Although very skinny or anorexic women are almost never curvy, since breasts, hip padding, bum is fat.
Yeah and in the past it was once socially acceptable to call black people by a word that started with the letter "N." Our society is better off for rendering that (and other racial slurs) socially unacceptable. Why is it so unreasonable to find a polite and dignified way to describe overweight people? Why is it so important to call them "fat?" Why is it so important to be hurtful and disrespectful to someone because of a physical characteristic?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yeah and in the past it was once socially acceptable to call black people by a word that started with the letter "N." Our society is better off for rendering that (and other racial slurs) socially unacceptable. Why is it so unreasonable to find a polite and dignified way to describe overweight people? Why is it so important to call them "fat?" Why is it so important to be hurtful and disrespectful to someone because of a physical characteristic?
Well fat isn't meant to be an offensive word. It's just like 'black' it's a descriptive term. The fact is our society is so AFRAID of fat that it's become a dirty word. Watch a black and white movie from the 1930s. There were fat girls who were laughing about being fat, because it was just a word they used. 'I'm fat, I need to lose weight.' So what? Now you have friggin' twig annorexic girls saying 'I'm fat' as if it's the worse thing in the world. Being fat is not ideal but people act like someone who is fat has leprosy. Jeepers.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,733 times
In the online dating world, "curvy" usually just means "overweight" or "fat."

Old 07-16-2012, 04:58 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well fat isn't meant to be an offensive word. It's just like 'black' it's a descriptive term. The fact is our society is so AFRAID of fat that it's become a dirty word. Watch a black and white movie from the 1930s. There were fat girls who were laughing about being fat, because it was just a word they used. 'I'm fat, I need to lose weight.' So what? Now you have friggin' twig annorexic girls saying 'I'm fat' as if it's the worse thing in the world. Being fat is not ideal but people act like someone who is fat has leprosy. Jeepers.
I think a lot of it is because of public ridicule. Since you're a man I'm not quite sure you'll understand the female psyche on this topic... like it's been mentioned in a lot of threads a woman is primarily judged on her appearance first and foremost. Fat is unattractive to many, and to be ridiculed for being fat is to basically be called less of a person. Most fat people KNOW they're fat, they don't need it pushed in their face constantly, they aren't stupid. Oddly, if a woman says she's alright with her body (and let's face it, it's a rarity) even though she's overweight all of a sudden everyone needs to come out of the woodwork and tell her she's fat because she OBVIOUSLY couldn't be happy with how she looks!

Let people describe themselves however they want. I don't flip out about obese guys listing themselves as 'athletic', so let fat women describe themselves as curvy.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
people read the descriptions?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm curvy and slightly overweight. You can be both ya know.

Curvy is hourglass (to me at least). I have an hourglass shape...and 10lbs ago, even though I was slightly overweight I was still curvy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty