Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 12:48 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Here is the thing: I never mentioned trying to snag a wealthy spouse. I always said middle class at least.
But I have problems snagging a car mechanic
Just FYI, my Dad is an auto mechanic and makes well over 6 figures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Just FYI, my Dad is an auto mechanic and makes well over 6 figures
I was thinking the same. I think the average in my region is $60k. Not too shabby.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:46 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
A nurse and a car mechanic are the perfect middle class couple.
I can't even snag a working class man. I actually would prefer those types,but alas, even they want beautiful women regardless of the woman's education.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
A nurse and a car mechanic are the perfect middle class couple.
I can't even snag a working class man. I actually would prefer those types,but alas, even they want beautiful women regardless of the woman's education.
I definitely wouldn't recommend most 'blue collar' men, especially if they work in a shop. In general though, you're right that they don't give two hoots about a womans education (there are exceptions of course) and tend to be more traditional. Plus, being surrounded by Makita/Snap On posters of ridiculously proportioned and photoshopped women doesn't really help the average woman out.

That's one of the things I hated about working in shops with men...tons of posters of half naked, or even fully naked women plastered all over the place. Doesn't exactly make your self esteem go up

Old 08-01-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't recommend most 'blue collar' men, especially if they work in a shop. In general though, you're right that they don't give two hoots about a womans education (there are exceptions of course) and tend to be more traditional. Plus, being surrounded by Makita/Snap On posters of ridiculously proportioned and photoshopped women doesn't really help the average woman out.

That's one of the things I hated about working in shops with men...tons of posters of half naked, or even fully naked women plastered all over the place. Doesn't exactly make your self esteem go up
Isn't having full naked pics of women on the walls considered sexual harrassment?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Isn't having full naked pics of women on the walls considered sexual harrassment?
Not in a shop full of guys, especially the two 'old school' shops I worked in. If I complained I'm sure they would have been forced to take them down. They also would have made my life a living hell and it would have been nearly impossible for me to get another job since I live in a small town.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:11 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
My boyfriend and I were just talking about this. Some dumb "bro" will find words in a thesaurus and use them together that are just so ridiculous in common speech but the "bro" will think they sound intelligent and be proud about it.

There is a 50% chance the bro will either use the new word wrong on completely mispronounce it.

Compare where I went to undergrad compared to where you went to undergrad. 'Nuff said. Wherever you went guaranteed was lesser ranked than where I went to school, and likely by far. No way you could compare your level of education to mine.

I took calculus in 10th grade and scored 99th percentile on the verbal SAT's (770/800, I missed two questions), needless to say I got into a very good school.

Where I went to school, it is common for people to speak like this, nothing I said was misplaced contextually or overwrought. It just sounds that way to people who have never heard these words in ordinary parlance, i.e., you.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
In the post below you say you are average yet you mention an hourglass type figure,and then you mention a larger chest?
By you mentioning a larger chest,that must have attracted your husband to you in the first place?
He's male. Maybe he likes larger chests? I know plenty of men who could care less about a larger chest.

Truth is, my husband and I were casual work friends for many months before we started dating. He got to know me pretty well. He knew I came with baggage (kids and a crazy ex). He's hung around all this time. I do think there's far more to a decent relationship than looks.

Have you considered that you're using your looks as a scapegoat here to explain why you've not landed a man who can pay your way?

Maybe your looks have very little to do with it.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Not in a shop full of guys, especially the two 'old school' shops I worked in. If I complained I'm sure they would have been forced to take them down. They also would have made my life a living hell and it would have been nearly impossible for me to get another job since I live in a small town.
This is a good example why I get mad when I hear some female workers say its easier to work around men than women.
I always hear nurses say that,but I remember when I worked around a lot of men.
It wasn't any easier. Maybe the men did gossip less,but I found men just as jealous as women are.
The men at my last job were extremely jealous of me,all because I was the head nurse(and their boss).

Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
This is a good example why I get mad when I hear some female workers say its easier to work around men than women.
I always hear nurses say that,but I remember when I worked around a lot of men.
It wasn't any easier. Maybe the men did gossip less,but I found men just as jealous as women are.
The men at my last job were extremely jealous of me,all because I was the head nurse(and their boss).
I think many men simply aren't used to listening to a female. Especially in the 'blue collar trades' which are VERY male dominated. My Dad's been a mechanic since he was 15 and he's 51 now and he's only worked with one female mechanic in his life, and it was back in the late 80s. I was an assistant manager at a quick lube place and had a promotion to General manager denied the first time because 'it wouldn't look good for a young woman to tell a man what's wrong with his car'. Sadly, he was right. It's really difficult to get taken seriously as a female mechanic and we really do have to try twice as hard, and our mistakes are highlighted much more than the men's are.

On top of all that, if we dress casually, don't do our hair/makeup we get called 'dykes', but if we do take some time and do our hair/makeup we don't take the job seriously. It's really lose/lose...but I still love the industry so you take the good with the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty