Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 PM

324 posts, read 655,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, I go to some place like T.J. Maxx and buy a good leather purse. It will last a few years, maybe more but if I get sick of it I'll just go to T.J. Maxx and buy another one. I am fussy about purses but not in a snobby way.

I want something practical with pockets and compartments where I want them and I want something that is well made. I have never paid over $100 in my life for just a purse. I do believe that at some point all you're buying is a name. Not that I want a vinyl purse that is going to fall apart but just simple good quality. Just forget about impressing other people with..........your purse. It does get tacky.

Sh*t Fashion Girls Say Part Two - YouTube

this one is for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:32 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,275 times
I have more Dooney & Bourke on my closet shelf than any other brand. Hubby gifted me with them over the years. Cannot wear these things out! One Coach hobo type bag. Found it in a thrift store, but it is too heavy to be practical. Others are Sak, Land & a Ettienne Aigner. When I am making the purchase, I try to go to Marshall's, T.J. Maxx, Burkes or go to outlets when travelling.I just require something roomy, leather, preferably in navy, red or black and with the extra handle that makes it convertible to over-arm or over-the-shoulder. Also needs to close {zip or snap}. At lot of the folks in my neck of the woods who are seen with Vuitton, Coach & Burberry products are getting them at flea markets...they are knock offs. Happy handbag hunting!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Oh, because I can remember when my ex use to visit me from D.C she always wanted to go to the outlet and buy a Coach bag because of the quality. When did they start copying them in China?
Coach started manufacturing their bags in China, Turkey and the DR in the late 90s-early 2000s....flooded the market and watered down the brand's "status".

Old 10-18-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
I have more Dooney & Bourke on my closet shelf than any other brand. Hubby gifted me with them over the years. Cannot wear these things out! One Coach hobo type bag. Found it in a thrift store, but it is too heavy to be practical. Others are Sak, Land & a Ettienne Aigner. When I am making the purchase, I try to go to Marshall's, T.J. Maxx, Burkes or go to outlets when travelling.I just require something roomy, leather, preferably in navy, red or black and with the extra handle that makes it convertible to over-arm or over-the-shoulder. Also needs to close {zip or snap}. At lot of the folks in my neck of the woods who are seen with Vuitton, Coach & Burberry products are getting them at flea markets...they are knock offs. Happy handbag hunting!

yes there are a lot of knock offs, people who buy the real thing can spot them.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:50 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
... is a state of mind, not a handbag.
+1,000. Money can't buy it.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
+1,000. Money can't buy it.

1000 is not a lot to some people.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:04 PM

137 posts, read 272,951 times
I used to be very anti-label. Turn I fell in love with my first Dooney&bourje at a high end consignment store. I paid $40. It was in very good condition, just like new. I didn't know it was very pricey until I was with a client at debt collections court, and another person complimented me on it.

Some of the dooneys are quite ugly, though.

Still, it's my stand by but I look only at consignment places or outlets.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
1000 is not a lot to some people.
I meant "+1,000" as in the "+1" you say when in agreement... but in extra agreement.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:18 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Class can not be bought; you either have it or you don't. If you worry that low class people might have the same bag as you, you haven't learned this fact yet. It is low class to judge others based on their income, background, looks, clothing, handbag, or anything really. Buy what you want, and don't worry about what others are carrying.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You have too much money

My bags cost between $20-$40. No need to spend more.
Actually, the OP is an example of someone who doesn't have too much money. Too much money would be a scenario where you would run out of things to spend it on.

There's nothing wrong with working smart and spending money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty