Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:47 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I'm not surprised to hear that they came from often super-strict households or from families of religious elders. Their poor behavior doesn't nullify the entire faith, though.

I didn't grow up in the Christian faith yet believe modesty in behavior and dress is more enhancing than showing off cleavage and being "freaky."
True! I just think it was amusing that the OP found this type of *Dress* appalling for Christians. I get why he felt that way, but it just honestly made me bust out laughing because it really *spoke* to my own experiences with some of the Christian women and men that I know.

I wasn't raised in the Christian faith either and I've always been a modest conservative dresser as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
I just don't get why people give so much attention to poor behavior that way. I find Muslim, Hindu, and Jewish women dress more conservatively yet they don't get so up in arms about modesty the way Christians do.

I'm still interested to see if anyone responds to the arguments in my previous post. I have seen SO MANY Christian guys drool over the women who dressed provocatively and were hot compared to the modest pretty girls. Has the OP paid attention to how the other guys react to those women? He might be surprised.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:01 PM

439 posts, read 426,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
True! I just think it was amusing that the OP found this type of *Dress* appalling for Christians. I get why he felt that way, but it just honestly made me bust out laughing because it really *spoke* to my own experiences with some of the Christian women and men that I know.

I wasn't raised in the Christian faith either and I've always been a modest conservative dresser as well.
I totally understand where you're coming from. I was raised in church, I don't know any different. Being a daughter of a minister/evangelist, I saw a lot of judgment coming from others. Always watching and waiting for the "fall" or a "slip-up". It got a little overwhelming. Regardless of someones religion, strict or not, and whether or not they are in church, we are all flesh. Comparing Christians to the non-Christians can be a little exaggerated because we were flesh long before our "title". We all have flaws and we all sin. All we can do is strive to be better and help our society, especially the younger generation, to love true beauty instead of lusting after the world and dressing inappropriate for the entire world to see =) I applaud you for being a modest conservative even though you were raised in the Christian faith. That speaks volumes about your character!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:40 PM

571 posts, read 1,201,074 times
Time to simply thank God for making the female form so beautiful.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:40 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leco18 View Post
As a guy now in my college frshman year, I'm going to a school that's in the opposite part of the contry as I'm from. My parents suggested that I try to meet people by doing some volunteer things, especially with some church people. So I have. I grew up on the conservative side, and didn't know any religious people growing up. I always thought that Christian girls were sort of the same. But I notice that most of the girls my age at this church, even when representing their church by volunteering, wear these sexy, revealing type clothes like these black yoga pants with uggs and such. I've tried to just not notice or feed their ego, but dressed in those, I turn and I'm always like O...O...O! And then sometimes they give me this poker face that's unreadable. It's really frustrating! I don't think dressing in those like that is right, for doing church stuff, is it? Christian girls dressing like this? Is that Christian-like? I don't think it is!

Yeah, because yoga pants and uggs are soooo revealing. Genuine harlots.

Do I think it's appropriate attire for church? No, I think it's too casual. If I went to church would it scandalize me? Hardly.

Never though those items of clothing could be considered "un-Christian."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I've trolled about at born again events in Christian churches. I did this during my middle 30s when I put a lot of effort into getting women. Despite being Catholic and loathing the way born agains treated me, I always held a special attachment to the born again Christian scene because these devout Christian women were always the easiest to bed, and it mattered little if they were married or had boyfriends. What percentage of them were like this? I have no clue, but the few places I went, one was Hispanic and the others were suburban white, had the largest concentration of "sinners" I've ever met during my entire life.

I don't find it at all shocking that the topic starter found questionable Christians. The ones I've seen were almost always an overzealous lot full of hypocrites. Since I had no exposure to them until I was in my 30s, I too was quite surprised at first when my Puerto Rican roommate suggested we go to the born again Hispanic center to pick up girls. If you think being Catholic and born again or "Christian" are the same, it's not in my local. Christians and born agains often attacked me for being a sinning Catholic because of how we "worship Mary, and saints."

While it's only my opinion, it seems to be the curse of oppressive religion, rules, and laws. It seems to cause backlash as people rebel against it. Since sexuality is natural and many religious institutions teach it as being bad, their denouncing of it seems to cause more promiscuous behavior than it stops. Look at though on crime laws in 'Merika and how strict the drinking laws are in 'Merika. We as a nation have far more problems with the two latter points I brought up when compared to other nations equally as developed as we are.

Those were my experiences.

cheers,
bolillo
The SBC (Southern Baptist Convention) is in New Orleans every year, and it is claimed that is among the wildest times in the city. They go there for a reason. They could pick a less "sinful" city, but they love "exchanging beads" there. You wouldn't believe how wild those SBC women get when they're drunk!

Old 02-02-2014, 01:47 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Sounds like you're clueless about the Bible. That being the case, you are not qualified to respond to the OP. OP, please do ignore this post.

Evidently, what would be attractive to this young man (the OP) is a woman who dresses modestly and isn't showing her female parts to the rest of the world. There's a reason why women in Islam are required to dress modestly - it's so that they aren't tantalizing other men, and tempting them to sin, by revealing their erotic parts / form for all mankind to see. The fact that Muslims reproduce means that there is obviously a good bit of sex going on between married Muslims. Within a marriage, a man and woman can turn each other on as much as they darn well please.

I think Christians could learn much from the Muslims on this one... or, perhaps, to make it a bit closer to home, from the Amish and Mennonites. Modest dress is meant to reduce sexual temptation, which is one of the strongest temptations known to man. (Doubt that? Check the percentage of people who have had sex with someone to whom they weren't married... or even who fooled around sexually with someone to whom they weren't married even if it didn't go as far as intercourse. Compare that to the percentage of people who have done anything else of a tempting nature - such as drugs, drinking, smoking, etc. I'd bet that the only temptation that comes anywhere near the "immoral sexuality" percentage is drinking.)

The truth is that Christian women should not dress in a way that is provocative. This is determined by their own minds, not by the reaction other people have to them. Let's face it... there are probably men who are turned on the most by seeing a woman dressed conservatively... perhaps because "conquering" such a woman would be a much greater "manly" accomplishment compared to conquering a woman who dresses like a prostitute. That is not the fault of the woman. If she is attempting to dress plainly (and restrain her actions) so as to be minimally provocative to males, she's doing her Christian duty as stated in the Bible.

All of you who are attacking the OP for being varying degrees of non-realistic need to open your Bibles before you open your mouths. You have to play by his rules. He's a Christian man, seeking to live by the Word of God. If you cannot explain how nor why the Word of God actually permits women to wear provocative clothing, then you have no relevant rebuttal to what the OP said and this is one instance where you'd serve best being seen and not heard.

Also, don't forget the verses wherein the Word of God says that if what you do causes a Christian to sin, or even be tempted to sin, then you yourself are sinning at that point even if what you're doing, in a vacuum, would not be a sin. So, if these ladies are wearing clothing which tempts the OP to lust, and aren't doing everything possible to minimize such temptation, then they are sinning even if American society wouldn't consider their attire indecent.
" For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut "

I guess all women should have long hair and should cover it? If they aren't then they are sinning, right? Then 99% of all American women are sinners using this logic.

Does your wife have long hair and is it covered? What about your mother? If not then they are sinning.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:41 PM

439 posts, read 426,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
" For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut "

I guess all women should have long hair and should cover it? If they aren't then they are sinning, right? Then 99% of all American women are sinners using this logic.

Does your wife have long hair and is it covered? What about your mother? If not then they are sinning.
Ok, can I clarify the scripture you just slaughtered? I really hate looking at these posts and seeing how the scriptures get taken way out of context.

Here's what the scripture actually says, then I'll translate it for you...

Let me start with the last scripture because that's the KEY to all this!

1 Cor 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

See there? Our long hair is our glory. You may ask, why long hair? That's because it's a shame for a woman to cut it, therefore, by not cutting it her hair will grow long.

Now look...

1 Cor 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. 5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

For a man to have long hair it dishonoureth (= to dishonour, disgrace, to put to shame, make ashamed)
For a woman to have her head uncovered (= hair) is it also a disgrace and a shame. If her head was not covered by her long hair then it should also be cut off or shaven.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance - Shorn = "to have one's hair cut off, shaven".

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man. 9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

I hope that helps.

Conclusion: A man must keep his hair cut and a woman must not cut hers. If neither do what is spoken in the scriptures they are have disgraced and shamed God.

Note: Trimming is the same as cutting. I've had several people ask me since I don't cut my hair why don't I just trim it?! The process is the same...cutting off the hair and removing it's length. If I'm going to trim it the Bible says to go ahead and be shorn and shaven. My hair is my glory, my covering. I will not shame myself and dishonor my Creator. For all the things God has done for me and given to me, the least I can do is honor him and live according to the word.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default Yes, revealing is the word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, because yoga pants and uggs are soooo revealing. Genuine harlots.

Do I think it's appropriate attire for church? No, I think it's too casual..."
Yoga pants are not "flesh" revealing (showing skin) but "form" revealing and that's just as bad as showing too much skin. Yoga pants and leggings are equivalent to wearing ankle-length black panties in public. It shows the outline and shape of the crotch, the separation of butt cheeks, every lump, bump, and jiggle. Outside of the home, gym, or yoga studio, IMO Yoga pants should not be worn in public and certainly not in church unless underneath a long blouse or tunic length top.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:06 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
Ok, can I clarify the scripture you just slaughtered? I really hate looking at these posts and seeing how the scriptures get taken way out of context.

Here's what the scripture actually says, then I'll translate it for you...

Let me start with the last scripture because that's the KEY to all this!

1 Cor 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

See there? Our long hair is our glory. You may ask, why long hair? That's because it's a shame for a woman to cut it, therefore, by not cutting it her hair will grow long.

Now look...

1 Cor 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. 5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

For a man to have long hair it dishonoureth (= to dishonour, disgrace, to put to shame, make ashamed)
For a woman to have her head uncovered (= hair) is it also a disgrace and a shame. If her head was not covered by her long hair then it should also be cut off or shaven.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance - Shorn = "to have one's hair cut off, shaven".

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man. 9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

I hope that helps.

Conclusion: A man must keep his hair cut and a woman must not cut hers. If neither do what is spoken in the scriptures they are have disgraced and shamed God.

Note: Trimming is the same as cutting. I've had several people ask me since I don't cut my hair why don't I just trim it?! The process is the same...cutting off the hair and removing it's length. If I'm going to trim it the Bible says to go ahead and be shorn and shaven. My hair is my glory, my covering. I will not shame myself and dishonor my Creator. For all the things God has done for me and given to me, the least I can do is honor him and live according to the word.
Wow.... What about split ends? Split ends can cause your hair to break anyway. Is this why some very religious woman have super super long hair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty