Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 01:50 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So if you want to do a tube skirt, add width at the top, and you can conceal with a hip length sweater/blazer to help create balance.
Yes, that's true. I do that on the rare occasion I wear a narrow skirt, or even for jeans, to hide a big rear but show an hourglass form in the front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 03:16 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I dress for attention (male and female) and feel disappointed if I don't get it! Having said that, I do NOT dress skanky or like a hooker. I like feminine sundresses or clothing that emphasizes my assets without going overboard. I don't think women mind getting attention per se, they just don't like lewd leering or comments, etc. But a look, smile or nice compliment is always appreciated, at least by me!
Getting Attention or a "look" is great. Having someone verbally abuse you...ah no. That's the worst. Looking someone up and down while you are licking your lips and pumping your hips...gross.

Most men are fine and know how to admire a woman. Some men just want to impose their will or feel dominate over them.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
I am wearing a dress quite similar in shape (and drape) to this today- mine is blue and white polka dots! If I recall jerseygal you are a pear shape, so it would work well on you. The neckline makes your top half look a little wider! And your bust bigger.

http://resources.shopstyle.com/sim/7...neck-dress.jpg

That is too "mommy like".

I love the Bodycon dresses.
My fav store is Gitionline.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In my experience, pear shapes need a flared or A-line skirt. Those narrow-skirt styles make the bottom look huge. You know what would look great on her? Those retro styles that Jet Jockey was into. I don't remember the website, but there was some amazing stuff there, and reasonably-priced for all the tailoring that went into it.

When they recommend clothing for certain shapes,i usually dress for the opposite.
I wear what the clothing experts recommend for apple shapes,even though i am pear shaped.
Showing small waists and large hips are in,thanks to Nikki Minaj,Beyonce,J Lo.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That is too "mommy like".

I love the Bodycon dresses.
My fav store is Gitionline.
I get the impression anything that doesn't show a lot of skin is mommy-like/matronly/hideous to you.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:09 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I get the impression anything that doesn't show a lot of skin is mommy-like/matronly/hideous to you.
I agree - I did not see anything "mommy like" about the dress jade posted.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:55 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
I am wearing a dress quite similar in shape (and drape) to this today- mine is blue and white polka dots! If I recall jerseygal you are a pear shape, so it would work well on you. The neckline makes your top half look a little wider! And your bust bigger.

http://resources.shopstyle.com/sim/7...neck-dress.jpg
i find that dress a little too low cut and a tad on the too short side.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:03 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times
I dress very conservatively and still get attention. I'd actually prefer not to get any attention while heading to work, etc.

But if I'm at a social event dressed up..then that's the right time and the right type of attention I'd prefer.

Not a club or bar though!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:12 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,779 times
The black dress posted above isn't matronly to me. It's longer than I prefer, though. For someone of average height like me, that length of dress makes me look short.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
Everyone's tastes are different, including their bodies so it's a matter of preference. I'd wear that dress if it were in a different color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty