Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 06:45 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

Depends on the glass. My Ray Bans are heavy and don't stay up. But yeah, that's the perenial problem. Where to put your sunglasses, or any galsses. For a long time I would let them hang off my shirt but that would stretch the shirt. Then I started hanging them off my belt loop. That works. I also slip it in my pocket. But it doesn't end there. I don't have a place to put them away in my car. The cupholders are usually taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 07:36 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Well, I will only say that I must be the top dorky poster here. I have worn glasses since I was a teenager and there is hardly anything convenient about them...except that they allow me to see the world far better than I can without them.

In years past, whenever my prescription changed I would also purchase prescription sunglasses and it finally occurred to me that it was too expensive to continue that practice. The solution is not necessarily glamorous but it works for me and I am past the age where I worry about the 'fashion police".

These work for me because I can wear my glasses while my sunglasses go on top of my head when I'm shopping. Admittedly I buy the most attractive ones I can find and I have them in various sizes to accommodate a change in the frame size of my eyeglasses.

Yes, I am a dork and have lived long enough to qualify for that.

Fit over Sunglasses

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/fit-over-sunglasses

https://www.amazon.com/sunglasses-fi...over%20glasses

Old 10-18-2018, 07:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Spice View Post
So, I still remember the 80s. Everyone used to wear their glasses not so much on their eyes, but on top of their head......

Curious, when you see someone wear glasses that way, does it REALLY look dorky, or am I just paranoid from what other's have been saying on the issue?

Thanks in advance. And BTW, I'll still wear them on my head at work regardless of the results, it's just a curiosity thing...
Don't recall that glasses on the head/in the hair was a big 80s thing in NYC, but maybe.

As for who does it now and is it "dorky"? I see it done frequently, but then I live in Europe, so perhaps it is not so much "dorky" as un-American.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:00 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
Quote:
So, I still remember the 80s. Everyone used to wear their glasses not so much on their eyes, but on top of their head...

Lately, I've been told that's a definite no-no these days, and looks dorky. Especially since it just gets oils from your hair (no matter how well washed) into the lenses.

That said, I have to make many trips into the back-room at work (the stocking room), and it is a requirement to wear safety glasses there. It's ok, they give us these fancy ones that you can not even tell at a glance if they are dorky safety glasses or not.

However, I do not store them in my apron when I walk out on the floor again, because they will get scratched up too easily that way. So instead I hold/wear them on the top of my head.

Curious, when you see someone wear glasses that way, does it REALLY look dorky, or am I just paranoid from what other's have been saying on the issue?

Thanks in advance. And BTW, I'll still wear them on my head at work regardless of the results, it's just a curiosity thing...
Sunglasses, all the time. Not dorky at all. No sun, you flip them up.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:48 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
I've seen my friend wear glasses on the back of her head.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Some people don't like wearing them on top of their head because it messes up their hair. Maybe if you have straight hair that is fine and flat it's okay but it you have curly full hair or an elaborate hairdo then you start seeing people wear them on their chin (REALLY weird!) or tuck them into the neckline of their shirt, etc.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
I ALWAYS have a pair of readers on top of my head...... or on my nose if using them.....

I keep a good cleaning cloth in my car and next to my computer on my desk for cleanup.....

Old 10-18-2018, 03:58 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
So, I still remember the 80s. Everyone used to wear their glasses not so much on their eyes, but on top of their head...

Lately, I've been told that's a definite no-no these days, and looks dorky. Especially since it just gets oils from your hair (no matter how well washed) into the lenses.

That said, I have to make many trips into the back-room at work (the stocking room), and it is a requirement to wear safety glasses there. It's ok, they give us these fancy ones that you can not even tell at a glance if they are dorky safety glasses or not.

However, I do not store them in my apron when I walk out on the floor again, because they will get scratched up too easily that way. So instead I hold/wear them on the top of my head.

"cool", "dorky" or not..if it works, it works.....

Old 10-18-2018, 07:16 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,005,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
What is dorky is wearing them on the back of your head like this.
Ahahaha. So true. Truth be told, I've never seen anyone but him do that... is that a "style" anywhere?

I don't care if people wear their glasses on their heads, but the OP is right... I haven't seen it since W Magazine used to follow around Jackie O & her posse of zillionaire socialites, who sometimes held back their teased & sprayed locks with their giant Invasion of the Bee Girl sunglasses. As someone who wears them each moment I'm awake & have since 9, if I put them on top of my head, it would stretch out the frames & I'd need to readjust them, again. To that end, I also feel utter rage when someone picks up my glasses (I remove them to eat, only) & puts them on by bending them onto one ear, with one hand & then hooking onto the other... thanks a lot... you just stretched out the frame & they'll be uncomfortable 'til I get them professionally adjusted.

I've always disliked wearing glasses (the feel of something on my face all day is annoying, but something I've learned to tolerate), but as someone who needs them, I need the fit to be secure. So, top of the head, nope. Sometimes I hook them into my shirt, like if trying on a hat, putting my hair into a ponytail or switching from progressives to sunglasses, only so I don't drop them... I'm a huge butterfingers.

Oh, didn't the Poison singer (or another one from an old hair band) wear them over his baseball cap/cowboy hat? Can't find a pic, but that's a bit unusual & not for comfort, but style only.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Amateurs!

I have been known to wear a pair, have a pair on my head and have a third pair tucked into my blouse, similar to this:

https://cloudfront.dappered.com/wp-c...-em-header.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty