Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 09:20 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Some people have said that speedos might be perceived as girly because they show off a man's thighs when normally men cover their thighs and women show off their thighs when swimming.

Why is that? Why are people repulsed by the male thigh? Why are straight women ok with other women showing off their legs in a bikini or one-piece but not with a man in a speedo?

Of course, some might say women hardly care about a man's looks; if so, then why would a man wearing a speedo be a big deal? Women who don't care about a man's looks would not care at all.
It’s not repulsive....but it’s like a bikini for us. Some will look good & some won’t. The guy who wears one at a public pool is kinda disgusting....just like I wouldn’t wear a microkini at a public pool. Save it for the beach or a resort...or your own pool......unless you are an Olympic quality swimmer in training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:34 AM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
It all comes down to this:

There's nothing wrong with speedos. Speedos don't make you "gay" and they don't mean you're "gay". The only people who have "issues" with them are American prudes who can't deal with their own lifestyles so they feel they need to judge and ridicule other people about theirs.

If you want to wear a speedo, wear one. If you don't, don't. If a cheeky two-piece string bikini is your thing, then why not indulge yourself. Real men wear whatever the hell they want and don't give a crap what a bunch of neo-victorian Amerikkkan strangers on bulletin boards think.

End of thread.

Last edited by Ttark; 09-16-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 12:49 PM

285 posts, read 927,673 times
what i think is now the new acceptable norm is that people don't give a flip what the fashion police or anyone's opinions are, they are going to wear or be how they are and live how they want. so speedo's, personal choice, wear what you want and be happy.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I don't know if they're acceptable or not but I hate them.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:06 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2225 View Post
what i think is now the new acceptable norm is that people don't give a flip what the fashion police or anyone's opinions are, they are going to wear or be how they are and live how they want. so speedo's, personal choice, wear what you want and be happy.

I agree. I just assume any guy wearing a speedo is trying to attract other men. That is fine with me, let them be happy.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
See my post above.

Why/how is this even still an "issue"?

Old 12-18-2020, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,041 times
I'm one of those older guys who wears speedos. Thing is, I'm NOT fat and out of shape. I'm 5'8", 148 pounds. But that's not why I like wearing Speedos. I grew-up wearing those swim suits. They are very comfortable, I simply cannot swim wearing any sort of shorts - too much drag. As far as showing off - I really don't care about that. I guess you could say that I have average endowment. I get my speedos a size or two, larger; I don't like them skin tight. A size or two larger than normal, makes them super comfortable. They just feel good to have on. If people look or turn away - I don't care. I don't know why they seem to care what other people are wearing; maybe it them who have the hang-ups over speedos.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:13 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph144 View Post
I'm one of those older guys who wears speedos. Thing is, I'm NOT fat and out of shape. I'm 5'8", 148 pounds. But that's not why I like wearing Speedos. I grew-up wearing those swim suits. They are very comfortable, I simply cannot swim wearing any sort of shorts - too much drag. As far as showing off - I really don't care about that. I guess you could say that I have average endowment. I get my speedos a size or two, larger; I don't like them skin tight. A size or two larger than normal, makes them super comfortable. They just feel good to have on. If people look or turn away - I don't care. I don't know why they seem to care what other people are wearing; maybe it them who have the hang-ups over speedos.
Thanks for stopping in.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:21 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,469,281 times
I have never heard of board shorts before reading this thread. I've just heard them referred to as shorts.

I don't get the America shaming though. Sure some of our fashions are more conservative than Europe's fashions but that's no reason for anger. Heck in some middle eastern countries they force the women to wear burkas. I bet most of those doing the America shaming would not dare to criticize people from the middle east for their hyper conservative fashion expectations. Why is it wrong for Americans to expect genitalia to be covered but not wrong for some other cultures to expect their women to cover their heads and sometimes even their faces? Seems to me America has found a happy medium between the extremes on both ends of the spectrum.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:29 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I have never heard of board shorts before reading this thread. I've just heard them referred to as shorts.

I don't get the America shaming though. Sure some of our fashions are more conservative than Europe's fashions but that's no reason for anger. Heck in some middle eastern countries they force the women to wear burkas. I bet most of those doing the America shaming would not dare to criticize people from the middle east for their hyper conservative fashion expectations. Why is it wrong for Americans to expect genitalia to be covered but not wrong for some other cultures to expect their women to cover their heads and sometimes even their faces? Seems to me America has found a happy medium between the extremes on both ends of the spectrum.
Europeans use it to mock Americans, because they perceive the US as being prude. In America, there is an aversion to nudity that isn’t nearly as widespread across various European countries, though in many ways it’s also a case by case study. It’s just one of those things that they find outright bizarre about America, but there are plenty of other things as well, like the minimum drinking age, labor laws...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty