Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 04:05 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Having lived in both CT and FL, I would not say FL is a great state by any means. Sure, the weather is overall much better throughout the year. But other than that honestly, CT is better in every single aspect imaginable.

CT had an income tax and nice high property taxes, to properly fund state government and public schools Florida is severely underfunded, with underdeveloped social safety nets, underfunded public schools and less healthcare access for the poor. UI here maxes out at $275 a week for up to 12 weeks. A major slap in the face to the unemployed. That's a total of only $3K versus $16K in CT and 26 weeks.

CT just feels like a league above FL in terms of societal advancement and having an educated populace. I feel WAY too smart and educated here in FL compared to most people.

Florida's governor is also among the worst in the nation and the worst in Florida history. He is a right wing autocrat and doing practically nothing to promote COVID safety for the public. As a result, a staggering 62,000 Floridians have died of COVID. He has done nothing but bash scientists, Dr. Fauci and stick it to Joe Biden for no reason other than to "own the libs." He is joke and embarrassment and just like Trump, has severely divided the state. I'll take Ned Lamont ANY DAY over this guy. And he doesn't believe in climate change. Pathetic.

CT is also more naturally scenic overall. Florida is nice, too, but it's less interesting and flat for the most part.

FL just has a more backward vibe in general. Maybe it's because I'm in north FL...idk. But yeah, compared to CT, it's backwards minded. I can only imagine that Texas is even more backwards.

However, I have no plans to move, since I am settled, doing well regardless. Every place has its pros and cons.
If you love paying more taxes, why don’t you donate your extra unneeded money to the Florida treasury? Or, you could move back to CT, or elsewhere in the NE. It would probably be very easy to sell your Florida home if you are a homeowner. If you need to keep your Florida job, and work for lower wages, then maybe you could telecommute your Florida job and live in the NE full time. Then you could enjoy paying the state income taxes again, if you think that would improve your life! There no point in staying in Florida, if you hate Florida so much!

Old 12-18-2021, 04:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
If you love paying more taxes, why don’t you donate your extra unneeded money to the Florida treasury? Or, you could move back to CT, or elsewhere in the NE. It would probably be very easy to sell your Florida home if you are a homeowner. If you need to keep your Florida job, and work for lower wages, then maybe you could telecommute your Florida job and live in the NE full time. Then you could enjoy paying the state income taxes again, if you think that would improve your life! There no point in staying in Florida, if you hate Florida so much!
I do love paying taxes for the betterment of society. Florida just doesn't get it. Donations are not going to cut it. We need mandatory contributions, i.e. taxes. It's like they want the public schools to continue to be severely underfunded.

I have to stay in Florida because now I am settled here with a good house and a good job. I've had too much movement in my life with jobs and relocation and need to stay put here now. I've only been here in Jacksonville for 4 years and in my house for only 2 years. Ask anyone on these forums who knows me and they'll tell you about my unstable history.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:08 AM

25,745 posts, read 12,832,402 times
I never even considered Texas. I've been there, but didn't like it. I love Florida.

Our beaches are amazing. Padre Island in Texas is a C- at best. Siesta Key beach is an "A".

I prefer the weather in FLA to TX too, but for some, Florida's too hot and humid in the Summer time. Both are vulnerable to tropical storms, but Texas also has lots of Tornado's that FLA doesn't have as much of. FLA has lots of lightning though.

You can find low cost of living in both states so long as you are okay being 30+ minutes away from the beach. Costs drop a lot the further inland you go.

I like how the state gov't of Florida runs the state, keeps its costs low, & doesn't overspend. FLA ranks 16th in that regard, Texas is 33rd. In contrast, Connecticut, with all its high taxes, is #50, & essentially bankrupt due to pension & bond debt. You won't find that level of gov't irresponsibility in FLA:

https://yankeeinstitute.org/2021/09/...ing-to-report/

With all the natural resources Texas has (oil & natural gas), they should be better off as a state financially.

Florida is also ranked higher than Texas for having better colleges and unversities. Florida's are very good and affordable. FLA ranks #3 nationally, TX is 34th. Even though FLA has not state income tax, it beats highly taxes places like CT and MA in higher education.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Florida has an older population than Texas, & some places in FLA that are saturated with retirees, are much older than Texas.

If I were a 20 or 30 year old striver, might choose Texas over Florida, to raise a family and earn more money, but for 50+'ers likeme, Florida is #1 by far.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:32 AM

I'm sure Texas has it's strengths but I would prefer Florida still. I could be wrong, but most of Texas scenery seems uninteresting, dry and drab. I know there are amazing areas like Big Bend national park, some areas near Austin and in west TX. I've driven all over TX. I didn't care much for the major metro areas. They just seem bland, boring and massive suburbia more than anything. But I'm sure if I explored more I would find a lot to like as well.

I have been to all 67 counties in FL. It is truly eye opening and changes your perspective. There is SO much more to FL than beaches, Disney and the major cities. And there's still a ton of undeveloped land, believe it or not. And plenty of hills and even a waterfall that's 70 feet high!

Old 12-20-2021, 11:10 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I never even considered Texas. I've been there, but didn't like it. I love Florida.

Our beaches are amazing. Padre Island in Texas is a C- at best. Siesta Key beach is an "A".

I prefer the weather in FLA to TX too, but for some, Florida's too hot and humid in the Summer time. Both are vulnerable to tropical storms, but Texas also has lots of Tornado's that FLA doesn't have as much of. FLA has lots of lightning though.

You can find low cost of living in both states so long as you are okay being 30+ minutes away from the beach. Costs drop a lot the further inland you go.

I like how the state gov't of Florida runs the state, keeps its costs low, & doesn't overspend. FLA ranks 16th in that regard, Texas is 33rd. In contrast, Connecticut, with all its high taxes, is #50, & essentially bankrupt due to pension & bond debt. You won't find that level of gov't irresponsibility in FLA:

https://yankeeinstitute.org/2021/09/...ing-to-report/

With all the natural resources Texas has (oil & natural gas), they should be better off as a state financially.

Florida is also ranked higher than Texas for having better colleges and unversities. Florida's are very good and affordable. FLA ranks #3 nationally, TX is 34th. Even though FLA has not state income tax, it beats highly taxes places like CT and MA in higher education.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Florida has an older population than Texas, & some places in FLA that are saturated with retirees, are much older than Texas.

If I were a 20 or 30 year old striver, might choose Texas over Florida, to raise a family and earn more money, but for 50+'ers likeme, Florida is #1 by far.
Texas is a very diverse state. You can go from winter weather and snow in the TX Panhandle to 80 degrees in Brownsville in the same day!

South TX Like Corpus Cristi on South the weather is similar to Tampa. Winter weather averages a bit cooler than Tampa because they can get stronger cold fronts, however you also get days in the mid 80s. Even in winter places like South Padre island get pretty warm. Brownsville weather in winter is the same as Tampa. Sometimes gets even hotter.

I wouldn't mind living by South Padre Island because of all the hot college girls during spring break!

Old 12-20-2021, 01:29 PM

4,549 posts, read 2,273,716 times
Quote:
Having lived in both CT and FL, I would not say FL is a great state by any means. Sure, the weather is overall much better throughout the year. But other than that honestly, CT is better in every single aspect imaginable.

CT had an income tax and nice high property taxes, to properly fund state government and public schools Florida is severely underfunded, with underdeveloped social safety nets, underfunded public schools and less healthcare access for the poor. UI here maxes out at $275 a week for up to 12 weeks. A major slap in the face to the unemployed. That's a total of only $3K versus $16K in CT and 26 weeks.

CT just feels like a league above FL in terms of societal advancement and having an educated populace. I feel WAY too smart and educated here in FL compared to most people.

Florida's governor is also among the worst in the nation and the worst in Florida history. He is a right wing autocrat and doing practically nothing to promote COVID safety for the public. As a result, a staggering 62,000 Floridians have died of COVID. He has done nothing but bash scientists, Dr. Fauci and stick it to Joe Biden for no reason other than to "own the libs." He is joke and embarrassment and just like Trump, has severely divided the state. I'll take Ned Lamont ANY DAY over this guy. And he doesn't believe in climate change. Pathetic.

CT is also more naturally scenic overall. Florida is nice, too, but it's less interesting and flat for the most part.

FL just has a more backward vibe in general. Maybe it's because I'm in north FL...idk. But yeah, compared to CT, it's backwards minded. I can only imagine that Texas is even more backwards.

However, I have no plans to move, since I am settled, doing well regardless. Every place has its pros and cons.

I think you should move to CT. In fact, I will help you pack.

If you think that DeSantis is the worst in the nation, you obviously don't belong here. We love our governor and can't wait to vote for him again next year.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I think you should move to CT. In fact, I will help you pack.

If you think that DeSantis is the worst in the nation, you obviously don't belong here. We love our governor and can't wait to vote for him again next year.
Nope. I'm staying in FL and voting BLUE in 2022. We are staunchly opposed to this lunatic running our state into the ground.

I hope more transplants keep moving here since 2018 to finally end the 24 year reign of Republican control in this state. It has been a catastrophe for Florida. The public schools the environment, handling of COVID...all an epic disaster. And Ron's treatment of the media and journalists is a total disgrace.

Last edited by nep321; 12-20-2021 at 08:10 PM..

Old 12-20-2021, 09:02 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times
Quote:
Nope. I'm staying in FL and voting BLUE in 2022. We are staunchly opposed to this lunatic running our state into the ground.

I hope more transplants keep moving here since 2018 to finally end the 24 year reign of Republican control in this state. It has been a catastrophe for Florida. The public schools the environment, handling of COVID...all an epic disaster. And Ron's treatment of the media and journalists is a total disgrace.

Many FL Republicans are RINOS. I'm from Missouri and like their politics up there more due to being much more to the right.

If FL elected its governors in the president election years we'd have democrat governors. Scott wouldn't have won those two elections that were razer thin running against the Obama machine and Jeb if running in 2000 possibly wouldn't win since the state was a toss up that year who won.

Fl Republicans are fiscal conservatives on some issues but socially are pretty moderate. They're not like Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Or Texas Republicans. The stuff that passes in Missouri or Oklahoma wouldn't fly here in FL with the wealthy country club Republicans.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Many FL Republicans are RINOS. I'm from Missouri and like their politics up there more due to being much more to the right.

If FL elected its governors in the president election years we'd have democrat governors. Scott wouldn't have won those two elections that were razer thin running against the Obama machine and Jeb if running in 2000 possibly wouldn't win since the state was a toss up that year who won.

Fl Republicans are fiscal conservatives on some issues but socially are pretty moderate. They're not like Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Or Texas Republicans. The stuff that passes in Missouri or Oklahoma wouldn't fly here in FL with the wealthy country club Republicans.
I am fiscally liberal, so that's not going to work for me. I believe in heavy taxation, heavy public investment and robust social programs and safety nets. Florida is abysmal on all of these. Florida doesn't even have a department of labor, which is absurd.

This state really sticks it to unemployed people by limiting the unemployment collection period to just 12 weeks and a max benefit of only $275 a week. That's a total of $3K. That won't even cover one month of my living expenses. I am terrified of the possibility of losing my job because of the pathetic unemployment laws here.

In my view, Florida's government is extremely right wing.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:51 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,217,132 times
Quote:

Pretty sure most the transplants we have been getting lately are people from blue states who have had enough of the useless lockdowns and mandates! You think it’s just for the warm weather?? Two weeks to flatten the curve. Two weeks…

If the blue states handling of Covid is so great then why are thousands of people fleeing these states and cities and moving to red states like Texas and Florida???

Two weeks to flatten the curve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida