Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2021, 09:17 AM

486 posts, read 519,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes. I know for a fact that I would be better off financially in northeastern states like New York and Connecticut. I did the math and would net an additional $5,000+ in annual savings if I sold my house in FL and moved to NY or CT. The main driver is the wages, which are WAY higher in the northeast. And houses are virtually the same prices as Florida now (outside of NYC or Boston of course).

I'm worth $77K in Florida, but worth $91K in Connecticut, my home state.

Imagine that. If I want a lower cost of living and to save more money, I should move from Florida to Connecticut.
Or just cheat like I do and take you New England job + pay with you.... and I did this pre-covid(over 4 years now).

CT is not lower cost of living over many areas of Florida. Their taxes are through the roof, and generally its a losing proposition long term as houses have been stagnant forever. To not have that issue, you need to be near NYC, and then your prices are just as bad as Florida, with a huge tax bill. Retirees have been leaving forever from CT because they are being taxed to death. I knew many who left because their pensions would no longer cover the annual increases.

Knowing the state very well also, I just looked at a place like Simsbury, at houses matching mine with great schools in the low to mid $300k's. Some have lost value in the past 3-5 years, their tax assessments have not changed, yet their tax bill has gone up. Its also almost double what I pay in property taxes. Then add in the 6% income tax plus car taxes. Even with an additional $15k a year, we would be lucky to see much of any additional money. On top of that you have to live in one of the most depressing states in the union... with failure of government and development everywhere... your kids will flee the state as fast as they can for NYC or Boston.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:25 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,979,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
Or just cheat like I do and take you New England job + pay with you.... and I did this pre-covid(over 4 years now).

CT is not lower cost of living over many areas of Florida. Their taxes are through the roof, and generally its a losing proposition long term as houses have been stagnant forever. To not have that issue, you need to be near NYC, and then your prices are just as bad as Florida, with a huge tax bill. Retirees have been leaving forever from CT because they are being taxed to death. I knew many who left because their pensions would no longer cover the annual increases.

Knowing the state very well also, I just looked at a place like Simsbury, at houses matching mine with great schools in the low to mid $300k's. Some have lost value in the past 3-5 years, their tax assessments have not changed, yet their tax bill has gone up. Its also almost double what I pay in property taxes. Then add in the 6% income tax plus car taxes. Even with an additional $15k a year, we would be lucky to see much of any additional money. On top of that you have to live in one of the most depressing states in the union... with failure of government and development everywhere... your kids will flee the state as fast as they can for NYC or Boston.
This is nonsensical. I said, even WITH the higher taxes, I would still be better off by $5K per year in CT. CT is very affordable outside of Fairfield County. I could live in CT with a similar house that I have here in FL and actually save more money all due to the much higher wages.

Connecticut is a beautiful state to live in with wonderful towns, low crime and beautiful scenery. It's not depressing. I lived there for 30 years. And it's not a failed state by any means. They consistently rank as one of the best states for healthcare, education and well being. Florida falls short in this regard.

You are also absolutely wrong about home values being stagnant. The data clearly shows that homes in CT have been appreciating at a very healthy rate over the past two years, partially driven by New Yorkers who chose to relocate to CT during the pandemic. The CT housing market is HOT now, just as it is everywhere else. My real estate friends in CT can also attest to this.

6% income tax is only on the upper layers of income over like $80K or something. For the typical CT worker, their effective income tax rate is around 4%. Very average.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:47 AM

I just can't wait until my 1800 sq ft 70s ranch is worth $742K in three years. I can't wait until Florida is prohibitively expensive due to the influx of people from other states. I'm loving every second of it.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:47 AM

486 posts, read 519,041 times
Quote:
This is nonsensical. I said, even WITH the higher taxes, I would still be better off by $5K per year in CT. CT is very affordable outside of Fairfield County. I could live in CT with a similar house that I have here in FL and actually save more money all due to the much higher wages.

Connecticut is a beautiful state to live in with wonderful towns, low crime and beautiful scenery. It's not depressing. I lived there for 30 years. And it's not a failed state by any means. They consistently rank as one of the best states for healthcare, education and well being. Florida falls short in this regard.

You are also absolutely wrong about home values being stagnant. The data clearly shows that homes in CT have been appreciating at a very healthy rate over the past two years, partially driven by New Yorkers who chose to relocate to CT during the pandemic. The CT housing market is HOT now, just as it is everywhere else. My real estate friends in CT can also attest to this.

6% income tax is only on the upper layers of income over like $80K or something. For the typical CT worker, their effective income tax rate is around 4%. Very average.
Well to each their own... I would never live in CT. Lived in Mass, have worked in CT... its depressing to me. Was depressing when I was younger. Spend a couple years working in Hartford if you don't think its a failed state. My expenses went way down in the move to Florida. Dollar for dollar, CT has higher taxes than MA... I would see even less money in a move back up there and going to CT.

For my family, we could move to Texas, see little increase in our monthly expenses by going to the Houston area, and see a lot more pay. Unfortunately our relatives up north hate Texas, so its a factor when it comes to the kids seeing their grandparents and cousins.

I personally may just make the move for my family for the security of it. I have always been terrified of a job loss here in Florida. $275 for unemployment over 12 weeks only is a recipe for draining your reserves rapidly here... I am sure this was a factor in the huge house value losses in the last recession. TX is $535 for 26 weeks in comparison. This good economy will not last forever.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
Well to each their own... I would never live in CT. Lived in Mass, have worked in CT... its depressing to me. Was depressing when I was younger. Spend a couple years working in Hartford if you don't think its a failed state. My expenses went way down in the move to Florida. Dollar for dollar, CT has higher taxes than MA... I would see even less money in a move back up there and going to CT.

For my family, we could move to Texas, see little increase in our monthly expenses by going to the Houston area, and see a lot more pay. Unfortunately our relatives up north hate Texas, so its a factor when it comes to the kids seeing their grandparents and cousins.

I personally may just make the move for my family for the security of it. I have always been terrified of a job loss here in Florida. $275 for unemployment over 12 weeks only is a recipe for draining your reserves rapidly here... TX is $535 for 26 weeks in comparison. This good economy will not last forever.
Hartford is indeed riddled with problems, but so are many equivalent Florida cities.

Yes, Florida literally has the WORST unemployment insurance of any state. Another reason this state is a joke. It maxes out at $275 a week and only lasts for 12 weeks. That's only $3K in total benefits. Connecticut was so much better and paid a max of $616 a week for 26 weeks for a total of $16K. It was a life saver for me when I've been unemployed.

Florida is a socially undeveloped state with bare minimum safety nets, healthcare programs and education. It's a joke. Florida's economy, quite frankly, is mostly propped up by tourism and retirees. Much of the actual everyday resident society is struggling and in poverty, with limited educational opportunities.

All because they want lower taxes and more guns. Disgusting.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:52 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,714 times
Quote:
Hartford is indeed riddled with problems, but so are many equivalent Florida cities.

Yes, Florida literally has the WORST unemployment insurance of any state. Another reason this state is a joke. It maxes out at $275 a week and only lasts for 12 weeks. That's only $3K in total benefits. Connecticut was so much better and paid a max of $616 a week for 26 weeks for a total of $16K. It was a life saver for me when I've been unemployed.

Florida is a socially undeveloped state with bare minimum safety nets, healthcare programs and education. It's a joke. Florida's economy, quite frankly, is mostly propped up by tourism and retirees. Much of the actual everyday resident society is struggling and in poverty, with limited educational opportunities.

All because they want lower taxes and more guns. Disgusting.
After working a lifetime in a blue state, with higher wages, and putting up with the crap that goes on in a blue state, we moved to Florida to retire! Lower taxes in Florida are great! Most people don't want to have to pay too much in taxes, only to have the tax money wasted by the government. The more restrictions there are on guns, the higher the crime rates. People in Florida also want Law and Order. They don't want looting in the stores, which happens in the blue states or blue cities. They don't want to be followed home and robbed in a home invasion. They don't want no cash bail. They don't want criminals to be released back on the streets immediately, to victimize more of their "marks", which happens more often in the blue states.

There are tons of educational opportunities on the Internet, that you can watch and learn for free! About 90% of what is taught in most colleges has no tangible economic benefit in the real world workplace. What counts are job skills that translate to a high income job in the workplace. Employers are hungry for workers, just look at all the "help wanted" or "hiring" signs everywhere! The employers want reliable workers that have job skills or are trainable.

Self reliance and working in encouraged in Florida. If you don't want to work, don't mind the higher crime rates where criminals have a get out of jail free card, then all you have to do is move to a blue state. There will be plenty of people in the mass exodus of the blue states to take your place in Florida, after you leave Florida!

Old 12-14-2021, 01:01 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,710,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
After working a lifetime in a blue state, with higher wages, and putting up with the crap that goes on in a blue state, we moved to Florida to retire! Lower taxes in Florida are great! Most people don't want to have to pay too much in taxes, only to have the tax money wasted by the government. The more restrictions there are on guns, the higher the crime rates. People in Florida also want Law and Order. They don't want looting in the stores, which happens in the blue states or blue cities. They don't want to be followed home and robbed in a home invasion. They don't want no cash bail. They don't want criminals to be released back on the streets immediately, to victimize more of their "marks", which happens more often in the blue states.

There are tons of educational opportunities on the Internet, that you can watch and learn for free! About 90% of what is taught in most colleges has no tangible economic benefit in the real world workplace. What counts are job skills that translate to a high income job in the workplace. Employers are hungry for workers, just look at all the "help wanted" or "hiring" signs everywhere! The employers want reliable workers that have job skills or are trainable.

Self reliance and working in encouraged in Florida. If you don't want to work, don't mind the higher crime rates where criminals have a get out of jail free card, then all you have to do is move to a blue state. There will be plenty of people in the mass exodus of the blue states to take your place in Florida, after you leave Florida!
hey earth to space cadet--- "help wanted" and "hiring" signs are posted at low-income jobs lol.
I doubt Goldman Sachs/Google/Apple, any high paying corporate job has a "help wanted sign" in their window lol just goes to show us all how out of touch you really are.... Yeah, try paying rent, insurance, utility bills, raising a family on a minimum wage fast food job or being a bellboy at the local hotel.

"Tons of educational opportunities" on the internet... lol. ok, but no one's gonna care you watched YouTube videos and put that on your resume... Again, you're not based in reality. You're living in some weird fantasy world that you have just made up all by yourself. Population: you.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:16 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
hey earth to space cadet--- "help wanted" and "hiring" signs are posted at low-income jobs lol.
I doubt Goldman Sachs/Google/Apple, any high paying corporate job has a "help wanted sign" in their window lol just goes to show us all how out of touch you really are.... Yeah, try paying rent, insurance, utility bills, raising a family on a minimum wage fast food job or being a bellboy at the local hotel.

"Tons of educational opportunities" on the internet... lol. ok, but no one's gonna care you watched YouTube videos and put that on your resume... Again, you're not based in reality. You're living in some weird fantasy world that you have just made up all by yourself. Population: you.
The help wanted signs are everywhere, no just for low wage jobs. Some of the trades have decent wages. The labor shortages extends into the tech industry too, which has high wages. Those aren’t signs in a physical storefront, but they are equivalent help wanted signs in a virtual environment on the Internet. A lot of head hunters keep trying to contact me to fill jobs. But I’m a retired IT worker, and I’m financially independent, so I don’t need to work.

There’s a tremendous amount of IT training videos on the Internet, plus free college courseware on the Internet. There’s more to cats playing the piano on the Internet, if you’d simply search for the free training. It’s possible to land high income jobs without a college degree, if you possess the job skills that are in demand.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 12,926,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The help wanted signs are everywhere, no just for low wage jobs. Some of the trades have decent wages. The labor shortages extends into the tech industry too, which has high wages. Those aren’t signs in a physical storefront, but they are equivalent help wanted signs in a virtual environment on the Internet. A lot of head hunters keep trying to contact me to fill jobs. But I’m a retired IT worker, and I’m financially independent, so I don’t need to work.

There’s a tremendous amount of IT training videos on the Internet, plus free college courseware on the Internet. There’s more to cats playing the piano on the Internet, if you’d simply search for the free training. It’s possible to land high income jobs without a college degree, if you possess the job skills that are in demand.
A family friend, who hated school, & refused to attend college, just got hired by Delta as a mechanic for $70k/yr. He had the offer in hand w/in 1 week of passing his certification test. He just turned 21.

Yesterday, I took my Porsche to the dealer for a routine maintenance, & they offered me a loaner saying it could take 3 days! He said they can't hire mechanics fast enough, and they average $120k/yr.

I own a B2B company, & a supplier has been taking forever to fulfill my orders. 3x as long as normal. They said they had 3 key people out temporarily, & that was why. They've been trying to hire people to prevent this kind of thing from occurring for 2 years. Starting pay w/o college degree is $60k.

If you want a pool, or pool screen, installed in SW Florida, be prepared to wait 4+ months for start of work. Most of that is labor related, and they are now offering $16/hr to start, & after 1 yr most go to $20/hr., plus they have overtime opportunities.

Anecdotal, but if I know of these 3, theremust be Hundreds or Thousands more examples.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:51 PM

34,094 posts, read 17,157,211 times
Quote:
Yes. I know for a fact that I would be better off financially in northeastern states like New York and Connecticut. I did the math and would net an additional $5,000+ in annual savings if I sold my house in FL and moved to NY or CT. The main driver is the wages, which are WAY higher in the northeast. And houses are virtually the same prices as Florida now (outside of NYC or Boston of course).

I'm worth $77K in Florida, but worth $91K in Connecticut, my home state.

Imagine that. If I want a lower cost of living and to save more money, I should move from Florida to Connecticut.
Of course, the hard step is getting an equivalent job in Ct or NY. Both have unemployment well above the national average, even for professional jobs.

Ct was one of a few states with less total job postings than unemployed during the Labor Shortage Covid year of 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida