Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 03:36 PM

2,548 posts, read 1,889,716 times

Advertisements

If you'd prefer cooler weather and less humidity, then probably TX.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:48 AM

2,270 posts, read 7,349,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
That's what I don't get. You can go all over the country, even New York and see Republican stuff all over yet Biden still won. MI has Trump stuff all over yet he still lost that state and you see hardly any Biden stuff.

Same with Florida. Hardly any Biden stuff yet Trump barely wins both elections here in Florida.

My county for example was about 64 percent Trump last election. Not a HUGE blowout like North FL or somewhere in Idaho for example. Still a decent size minority Democrat vote. Yet I very rarely run into anyone that likes Biden despite about 35 percent voting for Biden. Must be some fraud going on.
Just because you see more Trump flags doesn't mean there is fraud. Some of us don't need to fly flags and plaster bumper stickers all over our cars. President Biden is my president, not my savior. I don't need or want to fly a flag to show adoration for a stranger. He is my president and I voted for him. I don't need to attend pep rallies or truck parades to show support. Just because you're louder doesn't mean you still didn't lose.

For the OP, I have lived in both Florida and Texas and wouldn't live in either one again, but for your situation and your wants I would definitely recommend Florida. Weather is going to be difficult to get used to but it would be easier in Jax than Orlando. You will at least get some winter in Jax. Personally, I would explore other areas of the Pacific NW. Not every place is Seattle, nor is every place liberal. There are plenty of conservative areas to be found and it would not be such a big change for your family. I wish you luck wherever you end up.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:14 PM

3,836 posts, read 3,386,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Just because you see more Trump flags doesn't mean there is fraud. Some of us don't need to fly flags and plaster bumper stickers all over our cars. President Biden is my president, not my savior. I don't need or want to fly a flag to show adoration for a stranger. He is my president and I voted for him. I don't need to attend pep rallies or truck parades to show support. Just because you're louder doesn't mean you still didn't lose.

For the OP, I have lived in both Florida and Texas and wouldn't live in either one again, but for your situation and your wants I would definitely recommend Florida. Weather is going to be difficult to get used to but it would be easier in Jax than Orlando. You will at least get some winter in Jax. Personally, I would explore other areas of the Pacific NW. Not every place is Seattle, nor is every place liberal. There are plenty of conservative areas to be found and it would not be such a big change for your family. I wish you luck wherever you end up.
WA and OR used to be conservative states! WA was at one time one of the most pro gun states in the union and one of the first to have concealed carry.

California was conservative up until the 1980s. 60 years ago a very conservative state.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:02 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,015,747 times
Florida is significant more expensive for houses than Texas. The typical single family home value in Florida is now $345K versus $268K in Texas. Florida is now the 18th higher home values in the country, right up there with northeastern states, and has just surpassed New York state for the first time in history last month. Unbelievable.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
WA and OR used to be conservative states! WA was at one time one of the most pro gun states in the union and one of the first to have concealed carry.

California was conservative up until the 1980s. 60 years ago a very conservative state.
I'm glad these western states have shifted left. And I'm glad the same is now happening with Arizona and even Utah. Colorado has also solidified as a blue state now. But Utah is rapidly changing and is actually on track to turn blue by 2028. Same with Texas, Alaska and North Carolina!

Old 12-12-2021, 07:07 PM

2,381 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Florida is significant more expensive for houses than Texas. The typical single family home value in Florida is now $345K versus $268K in Texas. Florida is now the 18th higher home values in the country, right up there with northeastern states, and has just surpassed New York state for the first time in history last month. Unbelievable.
Upstate New York is ridiculously cheap so I’m actually not surprised.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Upstate New York is ridiculously cheap so I’m actually not surprised.
The median house value in New York state is $341K, which is inclusive of the NYC metro area as well as upstate. It's the median value for the WHOLE state. Florida is now more expensive than New York.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:21 PM

225 posts, read 181,474 times
Keep Florida, FLORIDA ! also, er,

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( P U B L I X )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Old 12-13-2021, 07:12 AM

486 posts, read 521,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
There is a significant difference in Property Taxes however... it makes those closer in real mortgage numbers.

If you are looking at new builds in both states, you would see usually a 1.25-1.5% tax rate, plus a $250 a month CDD fee here in Florida. In Texas you will often times see a 3-4% Property Tax rate, plus a $50-100 HOA a month. When all is said and done, mortgage wise they come out very close.

The big difference comes into play with your job... my wife is a Teacher. She makes $45k here in Florida... same level of school district would pay her $58k in Texas, with much higher annual increases usually. This difference is typical across many industries.

If you are looking to retire, Florida wins... if you have a couple decades to go, Texas wins financially.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
There is a significant difference in Property Taxes however... it makes those closer in real mortgage numbers.

If you are looking at new builds in both states, you would see usually a 1.25-1.5% tax rate, plus a $250 a month CDD fee here in Florida. In Texas you will often times see a 3-4% Property Tax rate, plus a $50-100 HOA a month. When all is said and done, mortgage wise they come out very close.

The big difference comes into play with your job... my wife is a Teacher. She makes $45k here in Florida... same level of school district would pay her $58k in Texas, with much higher annual increases usually. This difference is typical across many industries.

If you are looking to retire, Florida wins... if you have a couple decades to go, Texas wins financially.
Yes. I know for a fact that I would be better off financially in northeastern states like New York and Connecticut. I did the math and would net an additional $5,000+ in annual savings if I sold my house in FL and moved to NY or CT. The main driver is the wages, which are WAY higher in the northeast. And houses are virtually the same prices as Florida now (outside of NYC or Boston of course).

I'm worth $77K in Florida, but worth $91K in Connecticut, my home state.

Imagine that. If I want a lower cost of living and to save more money, I should move from Florida to Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida