Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 03:19 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,498,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I certainly hope the OP isn't going to base their move on a grocery store....

Some of you here really, really need to get over the Publix ranting... The Publix stores I shop have anything I could ever need and more. No other store in this area comes close.

As to the OP, I have never lived in Texas, only briefly visited, but did not like what I saw. I am thinking the only place in Texas I would like would be San Antonio. But I was born here in Florida and I absolutely LOVE it here and will never leave. Born in Tampa, I have lived in Sarasota, Bradenton, Dade City and Lakeland, currently in Lakeland and we plan to never ever leave this area. Home of Publix Grocery by the way.
haha I wasn't going to say a thing but there hasn't been an "I hate Publix" thread in a few months.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:21 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
I actually prefer the FL gun laws over TX. I WANT people trained in the proper and safe use of firearms & FL requires that training in order to get your CCL. If you are current/former law enforcement or military, you do not have to take the safety course to get your CCL. I also like the 3 day waiting period before you can purchase a firearm. I've carried and purchased firearms in both states, neither are really all that restrictive but I do prefer that folks have to prove they're understanding of gun safety and the state/federal laws surrounding gun ownership. JMHO

Fl laws are silly regarding carry though. How can I go to MO where open carry and permit less carry is legal, yet the same thing in Florida is a 3rd degree felony?

Like here in FL I carry a Sig P938 because it's small.

In Missouri I carried my Browning Hi Power or a full size 1911 under my shirt even in the summer. because it's open carry state they can't touch me if it shows in the open.

Missouri voters in 2014 also passed the strongest state worded constitution in the Country regarding the right to bear arms.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:10 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
YES, FL Walmart's are far more inferior than TX Walmarts. That's a nice list of Publix competitors but the problem is that none of them that I've shopped carries everything I need, to include Publix. My TX based HEB was the only place I needed to go to for everything. No having to drive from store to store to get everything I needed. One of the HEB's in San Antonio is so big, they handed maps out at the door to better help shoppers navigate. Publix's way of stocking their shelves makes no sense either. You can't find tortillas in the bread isle even though tortillas are a bread product. You have to go to the "International" isle to find tortillas. That's just one example of how screwy their shelves are stocked. Makes no sense at all to me.
How is Walmart inferior in Florida than TX? I've been to Walmarts all over the South and they're all the same. Differences, which are mostly minute, are basically a reflection of the surrounding neighborhood. There's the "good" one and the "bad" one everywhere.

As far as the international vs. actual food category issue, that's not a Publix-specific thing. That's a conundrum in American grocery period.

This article is a really good read about that issue.

"Why Do American Grocery Stores Still Have an Ethnic Aisle?
This international hodgepodge strikes many shoppers and food purveyors as antiquated. But doing away with it isn’t as easy as it might sound."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/10/d...nic-aisle.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I certainly hope the OP isn't going to base their move on a grocery store....

Some of you here really, really need to get over the Publix ranting... The Publix stores I shop have anything I could ever need and more. No other store in this area comes close.
I think I opened that can of worms by posting that list of all the stores Publix feels it competes against as a counter to the oft-cited claim that they don't have any competition. I planned to cross post that list to the recently active grocery thread and ask to shift grocery talk to there so as to not hijack this thread. But I didn't have time this morning. My bad. Haha

Last edited by boy3365; 12-09-2021 at 07:51 PM..

Old 12-09-2021, 07:46 PM

Texas is a great state and has many things to offer. One can appreciate it without bringing up its politics. Economically, it tears Florida to shreds.

But I think the "hatred" or "dislike" of Texas some mentioned may have to do with the arrogance of some of its residents. It matches or exceeds the "Well, back up North..." crowd. Even with local advertising, it's "Texas this" "Texas that" and these "we're the best" vibes everywhere. In Florida media advertising, you might here "Florida blah blah" in commercials about roof and window replacement contractors due to the hurricane thing, and that's about it.

It's okay to be proud of where you came from, but constantly telling everyone you meet how everything in the new place is inferior to the old place gets old and annoying. If I ever move to another state or region, of course I'll miss some things that I've grown to love here, but I'll be too busy exploring what the new place has to offer because every place has its perks.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:22 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Texas is a great state and has many things to offer. One can appreciate it without bringing up its politics. Economically, it tears Florida to shreds.

But I think the "hatred" or "dislike" of Texas some mentioned may have to do with the arrogance of some of its residents. It matches or exceeds the "Well, back up North..." crowd. Even with local advertising, it's "Texas this" "Texas that" and these "we're the best" vibes everywhere. In Florida media advertising, you might here "Florida blah blah" in commercials about roof and window replacement contractors due to the hurricane thing, and that's about it.

It's okay to be proud of where you came from, but constantly telling everyone you meet how everything in the new place is inferior to the old place gets old and annoying. If I ever move to another state or region, of course I'll miss some things that I've grown to love here, but I'll be too busy exploring what the new place has to offer because every place has its perks.
Strange, I lived in TX for a few years and never heard that. Friendliest people I ever met were there and no pushing of anything.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Strange, I lived in TX for a few years and never heard that. Friendliest people I ever met were there and no pushing of anything.
It may be more of a thing with a group of people who move from Texas than people who are currently there. I've certainly seen it with some Texas transplants here along with the "back up North" people. But then again, regardless of where one is from, there's always that crowd putting down everything in their new locale. I'm sure some southerners do it when they move to other regions.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:02 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Quote:
It may be more of a thing with a group of people who move from Texas than people who are currently there. I've certainly seen it with some Texas transplants here along with the "back up North" people. But then again, regardless of where one is from, there's always that crowd putting down everything in their new locale. I'm sure some southerners do it when they move to other regions.
TX people are much friendlier than the likes of NY, NJ, MA, CT, etc.

Then again I don't run into a ton of people from Texas who live here. Unless you live in a cold area like the TX Panhandle I don't see any reason moving to FL. Especially from a place like Houston where the climate is similar. Basically a lateral move except the jobs are not nearly as good.

I ran into more TX people living in Missouri. Then again Missouri is closer to TX, especially SWMO which has a lot similar culturally.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:33 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,923 times
Quote:
This is true. For many it is hard to speak of what they feel is a mistake; i.e. moving to a different State.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:26 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,342,162 times
Quote:
How is Walmart inferior in Florida than TX? I've been to Walmarts all over the South and they're all the same. Differences, which are mostly minute, are basically a reflection of the surrounding neighborhood. There's the "good" one and the "bad" one everywhere.

As far as the international vs. actual food category issue, that's not a Publix-specific thing. That's a conundrum in American grocery period.

This article is a really good read about that issue.

"Why Do American Grocery Stores Still Have an Ethnic Aisle?
This international hodgepodge strikes many shoppers and food purveyors as antiquated. But doing away with it isn’t as easy as it might sound."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/10/d...nic-aisle.html

I think I opened that can of worms by posting that list of all the stores Publix feels it competes against as a counter to the oft-cited claim that they don't have any competition. I planned to cross post that list to the recently active grocery thread and ask to shift grocery talk to there so as to not hijack this thread. But I didn't have time this morning. My bad. Haha
The Walmart's I've been to in FL do not carry much in name brand products and their selection on the spice isle is terrible, but so is Publix. The Walmart's I've been to in TX had both brand name and off brand name products to choose from. There are some things that I will not buy if it's an off brand, my preference.

HEB has a HUGE selection on the spice isle. My DH and I are gourmet chefs and many of the things we cook require spices or other ingredients that aren't often used by your average cook. But even something as basic as saffron is almost impossible to find in Publix & never at Walmart and when you do find it, it's a very low quality brand. Good saffron is super expensive but well worth it. As far as the international isle, I have no issue with those and actually appreciate them since I do a lot of international cooking. But tortilla's do NOT belong on the international isle. It's bread so put it on the bread isle like normal grocery stores do. Publix is the only store that I've found that does this.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:39 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,342,162 times
Quote:

I think the last part of what you wrote is spot on. Folks need to get out and explore their new state. I've lived in FL (from TX) for less than 2 years. Unfortunately, because of Covid, I've not been able to explore much yet so I've been stuck at home with nothing to do but miss what I left in TX because I still don't "know" FL yet.

As far as TX arrogance, I don't necessarily consider it arrogance. It's more about pride. Additionally, folks from all over disrespect the state & Texans in general so much for absolutely no reason, Texans feel the need to defend the state. I've heard so much disinformation about Texas my whole life and it just gets old i.e. Texans are inbreds, uneducated, toothless, gun nuts, blah, blah, blah. Then there's the TX is flat, has no mountains, boring, ugly, blah, blah, blah. I am looking forward to getting more acquainted with my new state as I'm sure there is so much to love about it. The beaches & year round mild weather are what drew us to decide to retire in FL. TX beaches are just gross unless you go all the way down to South Padre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida