Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 09:46 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,230,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDude View Post
After you wear 2-3 masks so we don't need you whine and complain over nothing. How about this....go outside. I'm doing that in a bit since having 1,215 posts since 2017 is pretty sad.
Okay! Have fun riding your bike with your friends and remember curfew is at 7pm don’t be late again or you’ll be grounded!

Old 12-16-2021, 10:03 AM

5,492 posts, read 3,578,891 times
Dave and JP, please take it offline. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2021, 01:49 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,811,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Dave and JP, please take it offline. Thanks!
Yes.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:53 PM

5,492 posts, read 3,578,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Yes.
I should have said Dave, JP and JaxDude.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:38 PM

24,166 posts, read 32,732,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyperTyper View Post
Keep Florida, FLORIDA ! also, er,

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( P U B L I X )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Florida is and always was and will be, a place of many transplants. You should get used to that. That is what make Florida - FLORIDA. It is different from other Southern states. If you want more Scotch-Irish conservative Evangelicals, there is always ALABAMA - which is a better choice if you are looking for a purely Southern, Bible Belt state.

Florida has not been that for over 120 years. You can find that, but there are many other types of people from different parts of the country.

I am not a Catholic, but if I were, and religion was extremely important to me, I think that unless they are a Spanish speaking family, have Latino heritage, or do not mind being in the minority, Florida has more diverse Catholic churches with non-Latino congregants.

In Texas, there are many more Southern Baptists and other Evangelical Protestant denominations. Fl even has an Island for only Conservative Catholics.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:34 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,401,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Florida is and always was and will be, a place of many transplants. You should get used to that. That is what make Florida - FLORIDA. It is different from other Southern states. If you want more Scotch-Irish conservative Evangelicals, there is always ALABAMA - which is a better choice if you are looking for a purely Southern, Bible Belt state.

Florida has not been that for over 120 years. You can find that, but there are many other types of people from different parts of the country.

I am not a Catholic, but if I were, and religion was extremely important to me, I think that unless they are a Spanish speaking family, have Latino heritage, or do not mind being in the minority, Florida has more diverse Catholic churches with non-Latino congregants.

In Texas, there are many more Southern Baptists and other Evangelical Protestant denominations. Fl even has an Island for only Conservative Catholics.
Yea, even in the 1930s Florida had a lot of New England influence, it even had a Jewish governor from the NE. That is unheard of in any other Southern State. Even during the Civil rights era you didn't hear about FL much unless it was the rural areas of FL putting up resistance. Presidential elections always differed a bit from the South as well.

Texas has Catholic influence as well due to German settlers in the Hill country and the larger cities. It's similar to Missouri. Missouri for example overall is a Southern Baptist, Evangelical bible belt state except for the KC, Stl area and the wine country areas around Ste Gen. Southern Baptist make up the largest percentage of religion but Catholics come in a close second, like Texas. Hence why Missouri has much more bible belt influence to their politics than Florida does.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:08 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,946,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Texas has Catholic influence as well due to German settlers in the Hill country and the larger cities.
Oh Texas has a huge Catholic population, being part of Mexico and the Spanish settlements on this continent. Plus the German influence. The Latinos I know are all Catholic, but at the same time my German great-aunt who was 98 until her death this month and her whole family of German descendants were just as Catholic. They live in San Antonio.

Remember the Alamo? One of many Catholic missions in Texas.

Maybe not so Catholic as Louisiana, but still very Catholic.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:39 AM

11,669 posts, read 18,037,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Family in several spots, plus many business trips. Great state on the rise.
Having lived in both CT and FL, I would not say FL is a great state by any means. Sure, the weather is overall much better throughout the year. But other than that honestly, CT is better in every single aspect imaginable.

CT had an income tax and nice high property taxes, to properly fund state government and public schools Florida is severely underfunded, with underdeveloped social safety nets, underfunded public schools and less healthcare access for the poor. UI here maxes out at $275 a week for up to 12 weeks. A major slap in the face to the unemployed. That's a total of only $3K versus $16K in CT and 26 weeks.

CT just feels like a league above FL in terms of societal advancement and having an educated populace. I feel WAY too smart and educated here in FL compared to most people.

Florida's governor is also among the worst in the nation and the worst in Florida history. He is a right wing autocrat and doing practically nothing to promote COVID safety for the public. As a result, a staggering 62,000 Floridians have died of COVID. He has done nothing but bash scientists, Dr. Fauci and stick it to Joe Biden for no reason other than to "own the libs." He is joke and embarrassment and just like Trump, has severely divided the state. I'll take Ned Lamont ANY DAY over this guy. And he doesn't believe in climate change. Pathetic.

CT is also more naturally scenic overall. Florida is nice, too, but it's less interesting and flat for the most part.

FL just has a more backward vibe in general. Maybe it's because I'm in north FL...idk. But yeah, compared to CT, it's backwards minded. I can only imagine that Texas is even more backwards.

However, I have no plans to move, since I am settled, doing well regardless. Every place has its pros and cons.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:00 AM

11,669 posts, read 18,037,043 times
One of the reasons Florida is doing well in terms of economic and job growth is because employers can get away with paying lower wages and lower taxes. Employers typically have no interest in tax contributions to society, to fund education, healthcare or other societal initiatives. Ironically, they have to look in other states to attract better talent, which is how I ended up here. Since the talent pool is lacking in Florida, employers relocate educated people from northeastern states in many cases. They want to pay as little taxes as possible and at the same time take advantage of the best talent available and willing to work.

America seems to only operate on paying low wages.

The good news is that this will eventually backfire. Florida is getting expensive and is now the 16th most expensive houses in the nation. Look what happened in Austin, TX. It is now very EXPENSIVE.

As home values increase in Florida upon sale to new homeowners, property taxes will also increase dollar wise.

Much of these problems can be mitigated if Florida simply had higher property taxes or an income tax. Nothing crazy, but even 3% will do, if phased in starting at 1% per year for people to adjust, while simultaneously increasing the minimum wage to $15 an hour, which is happening as we speak.

People are realizing that they can move to northeastern states for a lower COL now, which offers much better wages and similar or lower cost of housing now. Absolutely hilarious.

Last edited by nep321; 12-18-2021 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-18-2021, 03:50 PM

417 posts, read 270,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Having lived in both CT and FL, I would not say FL is a great state by any means. Sure, the weather is overall much better throughout the year. But other than that honestly, CT is better in every single aspect imaginable.

CT had an income tax and nice high property taxes, to properly fund state government and public schools Florida is severely underfunded, with underdeveloped social safety nets, underfunded public schools and less healthcare access for the poor. UI here maxes out at $275 a week for up to 12 weeks. A major slap in the face to the unemployed. That's a total of only $3K versus $16K in CT and 26 weeks.

CT just feels like a league above FL in terms of societal advancement and having an educated populace. I feel WAY too smart and educated here in FL compared to most people.

Florida's governor is also among the worst in the nation and the worst in Florida history. He is a right wing autocrat and doing practically nothing to promote COVID safety for the public. As a result, a staggering 62,000 Floridians have died of COVID. He has done nothing but bash scientists, Dr. Fauci and stick it to Joe Biden for no reason other than to "own the libs." He is joke and embarrassment and just like Trump, has severely divided the state. I'll take Ned Lamont ANY DAY over this guy. And he doesn't believe in climate change. Pathetic.

CT is also more naturally scenic overall. Florida is nice, too, but it's less interesting and flat for the most part.

FL just has a more backward vibe in general. Maybe it's because I'm in north FL...idk. But yeah, compared to CT, it's backwards minded. I can only imagine that Texas is even more backwards.

However, I have no plans to move, since I am settled, doing well regardless. Every place has its pros and cons.
Sounds more like a partisan snob that would not be happy anywhere anyway. So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida