Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times

Advertisements

I think there is a major divide between the people who chose Florida and its lifestyle and those who only came here due to circumstances.

You will never convince that latter that they are living in "paradise". Add me to that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:23 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I think there is a major divide between the people who chose Florida and its lifestyle and those who only came here due to circumstances.

You will never convince that latter that they are living in "paradise". Add me to that list.
I think part of the problem with some are, they think it IS paradise, not a place were people actually work and live. They are surprised and disappointed when they find out we have the same problems that every other state has. We're really no different from the other states...it's just warmer....ok ok HOTTER lol
I for one am happy with my home here but I understand that it's not for everybody. I just get tired of the constant barrage of pointless negative posts.
I truly hope you find the place you love.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
I believe I'm living in paradise, at least it is too me.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I believe I'm living in paradise, at least it is too me.
You are and we are hoping to join you some day.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:

One man's paradise is another man's hell.

I moved here originally for a job but found it was my paradise. I hope you can in the future find a place you are happier with.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
One man's paradise is another man's hell.

I moved here originally for a job but found it was my paradise. I hope you can in the future find a place you are happier with.
Paradise doesn't exist, but I don't want to turn this in a religious discussion.

As for me, I can only quote Dorothy, "There's no place like home", especially one that was yours for over half a century.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Paradise doesn't exist, but I don't want to turn this in a religious discussion.

As for me, I can only quote Dorothy, "There's no place like home", especially one that was yours for over half a century.
I'm not a religious person so no worries there. I have an old family friend who would NOT be at home if he didn't have the winter. He was born and raised in Maine. That kind of weather is his paradise.

FOR ME, being able to be close enough to the beach so I can hop in the car and go hang out, not having cold weather to speak of, not having to wear long pants, wearing sandals everyday, Florida is as close to paradise as I can afford. If I had the money, I would live on an island even further south then I am right now.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Default Can't sell to leave Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
I have to say is was a refreshing thread to read. If you read most of the threads you'd wonder why Florida has as big of population it does.
Some people just aren't happy unless they are unhappy.
To all the recent transplants....a warm Florida welcome to you all!
Please enjoy your new State.
I have a friend who recently retired. He loved FL from vacations taken in winter months. After retirement, he picked up and enthusiastically moved to Florida leaving his college age sons behind in the midwest. He bought a home in early spring 2007. After the first summer, he wanted to leave but found he couldn't. The value of his property has dropped significantly since he bought it and there are countless other properties for sale and foreclosed on in his area. He simply cannot sell his house. He is depressed and lonely.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I have a friend who recently retired. He loved FL from vacations taken in winter months. After retirement, he picked up and enthusiastically moved to Florida leaving his college age sons behind in the midwest. He bought a home in early spring 2007. After the first summer, he wanted to leave but found he couldn't. The value of his property has dropped significantly since he bought it and there are countless other properties for sale and foreclosed on in his area. He simply cannot sell his house. He is depressed and lonely.
When I came down last year, most of the houses we looked at were owned by retirees from the mid-west who wanted to move back because they missed their families.

I don't think people realize how much you miss your kids when you are thousands of miles away. My husband came here for a job and I followed 3 years later when my daughter graduated college. We never intended to retire here. It was only for 5 or 6 years until we can retire. Yet, it is still very rough. My daughter is getting married next year. We cannot be involved in any of that. We cannot be involved in helping them purchase their first home. It may even happen that I will not see my first grandchild when it is born. Is retirement in the Sunshine State worth all of that? I think a lot of those retirees, whose homes we looked at, didn't think so either.

As far as prices dropping, I guess it just depends. As they say, location, location, location. We are in a golf and country club development. Our section was built in 2001 and the average price then brand new was $255,000. My home was listed in 2006 for $460,000 (estate sale). The owner lowered it in 2007 to $375,000. We bought last December for $285,000. We low balled the owner and she took it because she wanted to be rid of it after all that time.

Yet, my neighbor had his home (same as ours) listed for almost two years at $520,000. He closed two days ago at $460,000. He sold to snowbirds from Pa. who have friends in this development and have been coming here for years.

I guess it just depends. Being in the right place at the right time? Just plain luck? I suppose ours too can go down, but how much less than the original price in 2001? Or maybe some people are just willing to pay more for the views (on lake/golf course)?

One can never know what will happen.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:15 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Paradise is more than warm winters. Anyone moving, or retiring, to a location far from family should rethink. The price of fuel, airline tickets, etc... make the distance a whole lot farther especially for someone on a fixed income. Warm winter weather cannot replace a heart warmed by friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida