Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranatha44 View Post
I am a very analytical peson so I thoroughly examined every aspect of the move from CT. After several trips to Fl. we narrowed our area to central inland, ruling out hurricane prone and high priced sea coasts. Then I picked several towns and wrote to the chambers of commerce inquiring about their employers and their crime statistics. I subscribed to a couple of newspapers for several months to get an idea of town politics, crime and education, etc. (You can go online to Public Library and get many newspapers online for free) I kept talking to people in CT about moving to Florida. I always questioned the ones who said they used to live there but they hated it and moved back. The two most common answers I got were "we missed our family" and "there was nothing to do." One fella who complained about nothing to do sat in his tiny trailer all winter and never got out to meet anyone! So we prepared to miss our family and to get involved. We joined a church, make friends wherever we go, and plan annual trips to family in New England. We invite family and friends down and believe me, winters in N.E. have a way of sending folks to Florida!
I've seen questions about bugs! I hate bugs and would move if we had them. I went online to "DoYourOwnPestControl" and for about $100 I spray around the outside of our home for THREE years. No bugs! Gators are not predatory towards humans unless you live near northerners who feed them! Pay scale is very low here. I started making a list of things we would not need to buy in Florida: boots,winter coats, ice melt, snow tires, etc. We saved on state income taxes, property taxes, and insurance as well! Yes, it's hot here in the summer. So we adapted to the weather. You wouldn't go out at midnight in a January blizzard up north. You don't go out at noon in August in a heat wave! But I go out all summer at 7 am and work in my flower gardens until about 9 am. Then I work inside the house or go from A/C car to A/C store. Then I can go out in the gardens in the cool of the evening. Don't move into communities where you have to pay a monthly fee for the club house! The fees go up every year and then you can't sell the house. My only regret is bringing furniture down. The move was expensive ($5000) and the style didn't fit. I'd bring just personal belongings and then hit the yard sales, estate sales and Walmart. My annual elelctric bill averages $150 month & includes heat/cooling and cooking in my 3 bed/2 bath ranch.
seen questions about bugs! I hate bugs and would move if we had them. I went online to "DoYourOwnPestControl" and for about $100 I spray around the outside of our home for THREE years. No bugs! Gators are not predatory towards humans unless you live near northerners who feed them! Pay scale is very low here. I started making a list of things we would not need to buy in Florida: boots,winter coats, ice melt, snow tires, etc. We saved on state income taxes, property taxes, and insurance as well! Yes, it's hot here in the summer. So we adapted to the weather. You wouldn't go out at midnight in a January blizzard up north. You don't go out at noon in August in a heat wave! But I go out all summer at 7 am and work in my flower gardens until about 9 am. Then I work inside the house or go from A/C car to A/C store. Then I can go out in the gardens in the cool of the evening. Don't move into communities where you have to pay a monthly fee for the club house! The fees go up every year and then you can't sell the house. My only regret is bringing furniture down. The move was expensive ($5000) and the style didn't fit. I'd bring just personal belongings and then hit the yard sales, estate sales and Walmart. My annual elelctric bill averages $150 month & includes heat/cooling and cooking in my 3 bed/2 bath ranch.

Anyone want to tell me the upside of living like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:22 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Anyone want to tell me the upside of living like this?
What kind of question is that? Are you just trying to "stir the pot", or do you have something specific you are questioning.

Last time I checked, Florida was populated with people who enjoy the Florida lifestyle. What specifically do you find objectionable??

Frank D.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 AM

Read the other post from Florida. I for one don't want to watch every penny and live like a hermit running from AC to AC 7-8 months of the year. Nor do I want to handle dangerous chemical to keep the bug population under control just so I can weed my garden at 7-9 am. or after 7pm. Is that really living? or just fooling yourselves.

What is there is central Florida anyway?

Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Again, jojan, what's your point?

People are SERIOUS drama queens about the "heat". Yeah, it gets hot and humid. It's a subtropical climate. If you don't like it, don't live here.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 AM

I'm the drama queen? You all seem pretty defensive about your "subtropical climate". I am only asking the upside of living there. Who enjoys running from AC to AC, driving a car with pot-holders on the hot steering wheel, wearing sweat-soaked clothes, and fending off the bugs with poisenous chemicals throughout your home and yard. Oh, and don't forget "mandotory evacuation" from hurricanes.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:03 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I think jojans point is that living indoors for 7-8 months a year in Florida (just like the northerners do in the winter months) isn't a way of life and that moving to a place with a milder climate that isn't freezing nor sweltering is a better option. Florida isn't what it is all cracked up to be. But when its 30F outside in January and you see ad campaigns for Florida on the TV, Florida looks perfect to you.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 AM

190 posts, read 764,398 times
hdzup3.... I feel for you, having a dream and not being able to realize it because your home isn't selling. Have you tried all the "tips" for helping to sell a house, like making sure it is very clean and uncluttered are probably the most important, less is more when it comes to selling, meaning less furniture in a room help it to look larger. Take a look at your home from a buyers perspective, is there anything that needs fixing, painting or just a good scrubbing? Paint your rooms in neutral colors, pack all of the nicknack's, photos and personal items away. Ask your real estate agent what can help.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I'm the drama queen? You all seem pretty defensive about your "subtropical climate". I am only asking the upside of living there. Who enjoys running from AC to AC, driving a car with pot-holders on the hot steering wheel, wearing sweat-soaked clothes, and fending off the bugs with poisenous chemicals throughout your home and yard. Oh, and don't forget "mandotory evacuation" from hurricanes.

Yes. Drama queen. Maybe the out of shape, old, and sick run from A/C to A/C, but the rest of us, while appreciating air conditioning, can appreciate a sea breeze on a warm day, or going swimming in the middle of December.

And as far as "hurricanes" are concerned, more people are killed by blizzards and tornadoes each year than hurricanes, and the people dropping like flies from "heat" in the summer tend to be in Northern cities.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 PM

Why then is it the state of Florida that wants a National Catastrophic Insurance bill? You complain of high home owner's insurance and want the government to cover the catastrophic cost of your hurricanes yet you seem to indicate that this is really not a problem.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:53 PM

Also, TriMT7, where do you swim in the middle of December? The ocean? How are the water temps. at that time of year? Can you appreciate that sea breeze in central Florida where the member of this original post lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida