Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the weather in FL pleasant to you in the time of year? (Late July-Sept)
No 39 58.21%
Yes 28 41.79%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:08 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,680,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The majority of the population of the world live in a climate that averages above 75 degrees. That is about the same as Miami and about 3 degrees higher than Orlando.

How can you sat that " Temps in the 90's with humidity close to 90 is not supposed to feel comfortable to the human body."?

That 90 degrees is going to feel drastically different to someone that weighs 300 lbs and someone that weighs 190. Let alone a myriad of other factors.
at 105 lbs., and OLD ("old people cannot take the cold), I should be freezing all the time, instead of sweating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,673,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
By that logic at 105 lbs., and OLD ("old people cannot take the cold), I should be freezing all the time, instead of sweating.
Let's look at what I said.

Quote:
That 90 degrees is going to feel drastically different to someone that weighs 300 lbs and someone that weighs 190. Let alone a myriad of other factors
I bolded it it, underlined it, italicized it and put it in red so you wouldn't miss it this time.

I also didn't say whether the myriad of other factors would make someone feel warmer or cooler.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:55 PM

18,135 posts, read 11,776,714 times
We are all made up differently regardless of our weight to in compare with the climax.

I hear so much talk about Florida summers, yet none of it bothers me because I accept it as Floridian tropical weather. The alternative would be to go back to my home state - Long Island - no thanks!

Old 12-28-2009, 04:28 PM

749 posts, read 2,442,227 times
Look at it this way.........your average body temp is 98.6, so what's the big deal if it's 94 out with a heat index of 106? It's more natural than if it's 22 and there is no hair on a non-cro magnon arse.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,868,271 times
If any of you Floridians can't stand the heat any more I would be willing to trade places with you, Oh you'll love it up here in the great northern tundra of Maine.

bill

Old 12-28-2009, 05:18 PM

776 posts, read 1,675,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Look at it this way.........your average body temp is 98.6, so what's the big deal if it's 94 out with a heat index of 106? It's more natural than if it's 22 and there is no hair on a non-cro magnon arse.

Now just speaking for myself today was the perfect 10.. dry low 70's during the day and into the 50's at night. Well I guess I need to move to a place like Santa Barbara where I really could live without an A/C. Southern Florida would have remained as nothing but a couple of remote seaside villages catering to snowbirds if A/C had never been invented.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:29 PM

776 posts, read 1,675,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The majority of the population of the world live in a climate that averages above 75 degrees. That is about the same as Miami and about 3 degrees higher than Orlando.

How can you sat that " Temps in the 90's with humidity close to 90 is not supposed to feel comfortable to the human body."?

That 90 degrees is going to feel drastically different to someone that weighs 300 lbs and someone that weighs 190. Let alone a myriad of other factors.
Yes, we want to live in backward third world countries. Well Miami is well on the way there already in some respects. Do you really think people in an advanced society can be productive, creative and energetic when it is so hot and humid? Ever notice that so few of our great cities in this world are in the tropics?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,776,427 times
NYC is definitely not tropical but it is really hot here in the summer REALLY HOT and I think NYC would probably be considered THE CITY - that is what summers are hot!! I understand that a lot of people find Florida temps uncomfortable but they are easier to adjust to than -20 - that is just a fact!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,440,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Yes, we want to live in backward third world countries. Well Miami is well on the way there already in some respects. Do you really think people in an advanced society can be productive, creative and energetic when it is so hot and humid? Ever notice that so few of our great cities in this world are in the tropics?

May I suggest you study topics of geography and history a bit more? Start somewhere easy like Jared Diamond's "Guns Germs and Steele." There's a Wikipedia synopsis on it if you'd rather take a shortcut.

Environment can affect development, but it's not "Heat and humidity" or tropical weather that is the cause. The development and agricultural patterns of old effect the location of the "great" cities of today.

However, the great pre-Columbian Aztecs, Maya, etc., all existed in hot and humid areas, and were very advanced. Iraq is a hot hellish hole for half the year, with temperatures approaching 120F in the summer, has much more severe and erratic weather than Miami, and was the cradle of civilization.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,440,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla
Southern Florida would have remained as nothing but a couple of remote seaside villages catering to snowbirds if A/C had never been invented.
Yeah? Well we'd all be living at the equator if someone didn't harness the power of fire thousands of years ago.

What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida