Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:53 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times

Advertisements

This happened this past Monday in Orlando, but who knows what this guy was planning. The two young women live in the same building as he does.
Cops: Sex offender with ladder tried to break into apartment where women live - Orlando Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 AM

Earlier in the month:
Quote:
Lee deputies continue search for attempted abduction suspect
March 5, 2010 - The Lee County Sheriff’s Office is still searching for a man who tried to grab a woman while she was walking her dog Thursday morning.
The 43-year-old woman called 911 after the man grabbed her by her waist and attempted to pull her towards him.
The attempted abduction occurred while the woman was near Winkler Road and Edgemere Drive in Fort Myers, according to Sgt. Stephanie Eller, spokeswoman for the Lee County Sheriff’s Office.
The victim was able to fight off her attacker and observed him flee the area in a white Suzuki.
Lee deputies continue search for attempted abduction suspect | news-press.com | The News-Press

Old 03-12-2010, 05:09 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Looks like 911 issues are happening in every city regardless of any budget cuts:
Punta Gorda 911 dispatcher investigated in ambulance delay | HeraldTribune.com

And unfortunately, there are the sex offender stories in every city in the country on a regular basis.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 03-12-2010 at 05:21 AM..

Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 AM

384 posts, read 990,317 times
Although sex offenders are everywhere... there is a vast difference in the density of sex offenders n differnent cities and states.

www.familywatchdog.us is a free service to locate registered sex offenders in your area, or to compare areas. Just enter an address and they willl show you a map. You can click on the squares that appear and see photos (where available) addresses, convictions and other information about the offender. The difference between two area's can be stunning when you see it visually on a map. A great feature of this site is that you can sign up to be notified when a sex offender moves near you.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:05 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
Although sex offenders are everywhere... there is a vast difference in the density of sex offenders n differnent cities and states.
^^^^^This is true, Florida seems to lead the pack, its transient nature, the warm ambient and the many seedy areas make this a haven for criminals..

Florida is also one of the most dangerous and violents states to live in the US according to the FBI justice website, in 2008 it was 9th, in 2009 it went from 9th to 5th position in 2009 as the most violent. The prime reason most people live in gated communities here is for safety purposes, not that they are immune to crime, but it is a deterrence to some extent. These are facts and the reality. I would not live here unless it was a gated community with good security and of course packin'.

http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/m...ngerous-states

Last edited by chaotix; 03-12-2010 at 06:19 AM..

Old 03-12-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Looks like 911 issues are happening in every city regardless of any budget cuts:
Punta Gorda 911 dispatcher investigated in ambulance delay | HeraldTribune.com

And unfortunately, there are the sex offender stories in every city in the country on a regular basis.
Here's a statement from a city-data member from Ohio who wants to believe that crime isn't too bad here: "Hang around with the wrong people and you are likely to get in trouble and that is anywhere." The woman in my last post was out walking her dog!
I have no idea how bad crime is elsewhere these days. However, when I see comments like his, I'm led to believe that some people might not have a realistic expectation of what they're going to find when they get here.

Due to the variables in how sex crimes are classified, it's hard to compare one state to another. If I post incendents reported in the local news for a couple of weeks, I think people can make up their own minds whether or not this will be an issue for them.

Will I be posting one more story or ten more? I don't know.
I do think such posts will be highly relevant to the original question asked by sg928.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:27 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
The distressingly high amount of sex offenders was a huge factor in our decision not to live full time (and school our children) in Sarasota.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:23 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
How many regular posters here have a first hand account of a Florida sex crime?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post

Well this one time on spring break in FLL 1985 I saw a, aw nevermind and then last year in Sarasota on the beach we saw this old guy in a thong and this old girl wearing a cowboy hat under a cabana and they were standing and she was, aw just forget it. This is probably not what this thread is really meant for. I apologize for bringing a lighter moment here. Whhoosh I'm gone.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Actually I do have a story.
I was walking to my car in Bradenton many many years ago when I was in my 20s. The car was parked far away from the entrance to the mall because when I had entered there was nowhere else to park. Anyway...long story short...White van, Mexican driver, circled and circled watching me as I was walking alone in the parking lot. I got terribly frightened. I ran back as fast as I could to the mall entrance, pointed him out to bystandards and then he high tailed it out of there. Was he up to no good? You betcha he was...

Do I know of victims of sexual assault in Sarasota? Yes, unfortunately, I do. One victim was 14 years old. None of these women were out looking for trouble and in each case it was in broad daylight.

BTW, mrcool...I doubt any victim of a sex crime is going to answer your question. And besides, by posing your question, for you, is this one of those cases where unless you see it, it doesn't exist?

Last edited by Col.W.Deering; 03-12-2010 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida