Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
B4U B4U started this thread

3,612 posts, read 8,295,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Stuffed full of sushi and other good things........this is where I went tonight, what a gorgeous place!
Drunken Fish
I just checked out the site you posted. Yes, gorgeous. And the menu, well, I wouldn't make it past all the appetizers! Glad you enjoyed it.

As for me, I had a small bowl of homemade turkey & rice soup, with a nice slice of crispy, buttered italian bread, and a wonderfully creamy slice of homemade chocolate cheesecake, which i just reviewed in the cheesecake thread. Yummmmmm.

Have sweet dreams everyone.
Goodnight.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:22 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
We had Baked Bean Casserole (ground beef, baked beans, potatoes, brown sugar, and ketuchup mixed together. It sounds and looks nasty but is pretty good.) and Carrots.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:57 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
cake and ice cream!
Well, it was my birthday, so I splurged. Not like I ate a lot of it, never eat much at once.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:18 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,097 times
Depends.. If My mom comes to visit I'll make a very small pot roast I got at the store yesterday.
Bottom round @ $9.00. If she dont come then most likely an omlett or something easy.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:53 AM
B4U B4U started this thread

3,612 posts, read 8,295,799 times
Quote:
Well, it was my birthday, so I splurged. Not like I ate a lot of it, never eat much at once.
1 year younger! How nice for you! Hope you had a wonderful day and your birthday wishes come true.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:25 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Hubby requested spaghetti with sausage sauce, and garlic bread.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:07 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We had Baked Bean Casserole (ground beef, baked beans, potatoes, brown sugar, and ketuchup mixed together. It sounds and looks nasty but is pretty good.) and Carrots.
My hubby loves what he calls beans and hamburger. There are no potatoes in it but it uses pork and beans to make baked beans in it. It is served open faced over buttered toast. We use brown diabetisweet instead of brown sugar.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
Please submit a recipe for the mujaddara. That sounds good and I have some lentils. Can you use brown rice with it??
Yes, you can use brown rice - IMO, you'd just need more water/broth - I've made it with brown or white rice. Ok, so here's the 'recipe' - I don't measure everything and you can be flexible with the seasonings. There are variations available on the web for other ideas too...

Mujaddara (Lebanese lentil, rice, onion)
Lentils - 1 C - any kind, I usually use the generic greeny/brown ones
Onion - 1 large sliced - any kind, I usually use white or yellow
Olive or veg Oil - 2 Tbs or more - for frying so I wouldn't use extra virgin
Rice - 1 C - white or brown, med or long grain
water/broth - 2 C if white rice - I used a can of chicken broth
seasonings - s&p, ground cumin, ground cardamom, ground cinnamon

1. Soak the lentils in warm water a little before and while you prep the rest

2. I used an 8 inch non stick pan - drizzled enough olive oil to cover the bottom, added the sliced onion, cooked them down over medium-low flame (sometimes covered sometimes not). Later, I added some more oil - by the end you want to see some oil but it shouldn't be floating in it. Stir occasionally til they're how you like them - some people like them really brown, I like mine with plenty of brown but still soft with some translucent bits. This takes at least 30 minutes.

3. While the onions are cooking, drain most of the water from the lentils and add them and the rice to a rice cooker. Add enough water or broth to cook it as if it's all rice. Or cook it on the stove top all together as if it's all rice.

4. Once the rice cooker pops, let it sit and then add your spices to the onions. I'm generous with the kosher salt and then just sprinkle some of the others across the top. Stir it up in the warm pan but not too long - don't want the spices to get bitter.

5. Dump the rice/lentil mixture into a bowl, pour spiced onions over it, stir it up - eat

This is good as a side dish or main dish with a salad. Some people serve it in pita bread and drizzle lemon/garlic/olive oil over it to brighten the flavor. The little bit of cumin/cardamom/cinnamon warms it nicely but, if you don't like those or have them on hand, you can improvise with whatever herbs/spices you do like

Quote:
cake and ice cream!
Was gonna ask if it was your birthday and read later that it was - Happy Birthday! Next year, try to remember to tell us what kind of cake, icing, and ice cream, please

Old 11-20-2010, 10:08 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,445 times
Thanks Toosie. Although I don't have a rice cooker I am sure I can do it on a slow stove top. When I cook white rice I use the Mt Fuji method of adding liquid. When I cook brown rice I use what I call the Mt Everest method. Liquid to my wrist. So I think if I cook the lentils with the brown rice that it will work too.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,418,792 times
Quote:
Happy belated Birthday wishes Cake and ice cream, what more can you ask for

Tonight's dinner.........going out for pizza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink