Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM

253 posts, read 558,204 times

Advertisements

Just an observation but people here seem to really like their pork.

For me I had a foot long veggie sub sandwich and a yummy homemade caramel apple cream cheese bar (or 2)

Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,179 times
I'm eating dinner right now.

It's so yum.

korma sauce w/baked tofu and chili peppers over brown rice
Roasted green beans tossed with EVOO, himilayan sea salt, crushed black pepper, and pistachios..broiled until the green beans are perfectly toasted.
Steamed swiss chard w/ a lemon & garlic dressing.
Dish of blueberries for desert.

Very satisfying dinner.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 PM

38,901 posts, read 22,892,149 times
Same thing I had last night since it was so delicious. Pot roast with steamed rice. This time I had some baby carrots for the vegetable.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
for DH salmon filet for me left over chicken from last nights dinner, going to make some roasted yukon gold potatoes to go with it and broccoli florets.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:14 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,698,138 times
Shrimp,baby corn,broccoli in a korean teriyaki sauce along with some rice is on tonight's menu.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,552,647 times
Baked Pork Chops covered (half way done, drain the fatty juice, mix 1/2 cup water with Lipton's Onion Soup mix, pour over pork chop, cont. cooking until golden brown), mashed potatoes or rice, brocolli, squash, kernal corn, garden salad, Italian Bread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I'm sorry for the weird colors in the photo. I took this photo using a new camera app that I'm playing around with...

I cook my beans from scratch (I buy them dry in bulk) in my slow cooker. I don't add anything to them during cooking, because in our family we have some who don't like pork, some who don't like spice, and some with sensitive stomachs. So I make them bland/plain and then we add the toppings ourselves to our own liking. Some beans need soaking and some do not. There's a really great book called Fresh from the Vegeterian Slow COoker that tells all about the different varieties of beans and how to cook them in your slow cooker. I have really found using the slow cooker to be the easiest way to cook beans. Amazon.com: Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are (9781558322561): Robin Robertson: Books

The rice in the above photo is Jasmine rice. My hubby is Thai so fragrant white rice is pretty much a daily staple in our home - we have it every day. We have a Zojirushi rice cooker and it makes awesome rice. It's a very handy appliance, at least when you cook as much rice as we do. (It also makes brown rice, which I personally prefer...)

So... in the above bowl of beans and rice... I topped it with mashed avocados (guacamole), a bit of sour cream, sliced cherry tomatoes, chopped fresh cilantro, a bit of rooster sauce (sriracha hot sauce), and some Yumm! sauce which is a very "Oregon" thing... Café Yumm! | Our Story

You can also pour your favorite soup or chili over the rice and beans, or serve the rice and beans over greens like a salad topper... you can wrap them up in lettuce leaves or tortillas... do some shredded cheese with them... my youngest son (a bit of a weirdo sometimes ) likes his with a bit of BBQ sauce. Our oldest likes his with salsa and shredded cheese.

You can season either the rice or beans with whatever spices or flavors you like... garam masala, curry, saffon, chinese 5 spice, whatever...

I LOVE coconut rice, but it doesn't really go good with beans unless you do small red bean like anasazi with a little sugar... which is more a dessert than a healthy meal.
^^^ Looks awesome!!!

I love coconut rice (like in "Nasi Lemak" back at home)... as well also the dessert mango / coconut rice pudding using palm sugar...
BTW is the "anasazi" bean the same as "azuki" bean (little red bean) Asian loves using in dessert dish???

I do my rice & bean dish in the usual way of the "chili" served w/ rice dish (not the one pot meal).

Old 02-16-2012, 07:44 AM

DH tired of "Asian"... so am left to enjoy my abalone chicken congee (porridge) by myself for lunch...
He wants Italian tonight... so its pasta w/ pesto, a side of steamed broccoli, pickled olives & maybe topped w/ some bacon bits (don't really want bulk meat tonight; won't be "defrosted" enough)....

Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I'm eating dinner right now.

It's so yum.

korma sauce w/baked tofu and chili peppers over brown rice
Roasted green beans tossed with EVOO, himilayan sea salt, crushed black pepper, and pistachios..broiled until the green beans are perfectly toasted.
Steamed swiss chard w/ a lemon & garlic dressing.
Dish of blueberries for desert.

Very satisfying dinner.
Nice dinner.

I have the "white" regular seasalt & the "pink" Himalayan seasalt for on the table at all times... my pepper shaker also contain a regular black & another of mixed (white, black, green & red) peppercorn plus another for Asian cooking (Sarawak white pepper, z best in SEAsia)...

Himalayan seasalt is the best.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
turkey pot pie with veggies and green salad. I had the turkey in the freezer and wanted to use it before it became about 5 years old. (only kidding) it is from Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink