Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times

Advertisements

Tonight we had skillet beef 'n beans..sided with some green peas...

Old 01-25-2009, 05:28 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Just realize the deer are doing a number on my landscaping.....but they have to eat too. will look for replacements in the spring that are deer resistent. Whatever is growing in the woods must not be to their liking as my cedars are like an AYCE buffet for them.
There's not much they don't like, Elston. Good luck finding some. I'll ask my friend who lives summers in the Adirondacks if she knows of any deer resistent plants. I know she's had a heck of a time trying to keep them away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I put them in the fridge once they are ripe, so they don't get any riper - or start going black. It halts the ripening and they stay 'just right' for quite a number of days

To ripen a hard avocado I put them in a brown paper bag along with a banana somewhere dark for a day or two... like in a drawer - an Israeli friend told me to do that years ago - she worked on an avocado farm so I believed her - seems to work but I am sure leaving them in a fruit bowl does the trick too!
SD, the bananas give off a gas that ripens the avacados and the bag traps the gas. They would ripen in a fruit bowl, but not as quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have trouble getting a ripe avocado or bringing one to ripeness when I need it.....it seems I have thrown away a lot of avocados because when they were ready I wasn't or when I t hought they were ripe they were nasty brown inside. I do like avocado...but never got good at picking a good one....and I did live out in California whre people had them growing in their yards..... I have pretty much given up on fresh avocado.
We have a fellow here that gives them away. He has a tree, too, and is sick of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I am roasting some chicken that was brined. For the side, we are having roasted carrots with curry and honey. Wish I had smell-a-posting
I wish you did, too, George!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
This morning at 9:00, a Boston butt (pork shoulder) was rubbed down with spices, placed into my cast iron dutch oven, and left at 200 degrees to cook all day.

I also boiled up some small white navy beans (because I forgot to soak them overnight) and once they had boiled and rested, I put them in the crock pot. In the pot went a good squirt of ketchup, dry mustard powder, half a diced onion, a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and salt.

Just before dinner I made slaw. (cabbage, onion, carrots, cider vinegar, sugar, salt mayonnaise)

5 hours after the pork went into the oven, I drained the fat off the pork and saw that it shredded easily. Seasoned it up with some cayenne, cider vinegar and salt.

BBQ, baked beans and slaw with plenty of leftovers.
arsbad, did you put anything else in the dutch oven with the roast? Water maybe? Did you cover it? I'd like to try your recipe.

OK, the haddock was wonderful. We did have steamed broccoli and cauliflower, canned green beans, but instead of brown rice, we had some packaged noodles alfredo. They were quite good.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:33 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
arsbad, did you put anything else in the dutch oven with the roast? Water maybe? Did you cover it? I'd like to try your recipe.
Covered, yes - but nothing else. There's so much fat in there I wasn't worried about it drying out. I probably drained off 3 or 4 cups of fat. It was rubbed down with this stuff first is all.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Sounds great. I may just have to fix that some night this week! Thank you.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:36 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,014 times
Hello all, hope everyone had a great weekend. I think today is the first time I have cooked in a couple of weeks, hubby has been doing most of it. Tonight we had breaded pork chops, peas and rice that I added sauteed onions and mushrooms to it. I have a sweet tooth right now so I am off to search the fridge and cupboards!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Spouse is inventing something that's loosely (very loosely) based on a couple of different recipes he's found recently. It includes orzo (rice-shaped pasta), garbanzo beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, basil, garlic, onion and red and black pepper, with fresh-grated Parmesan cheese over the top. Not quite Vegan, but definitely vegetarian, and I suspect it'll be delicious. I'm lobbying for the inclusion of some of the rosemary-olive oil bread we picked up this afternoon as a dipping agent.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:42 PM

Sounds wonderful. I bet it smells great, too, MWBW.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:45 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Hey all-long roasted hunk of sirloin/vegs was great-just salad on the side for me-biscuits for Mr L as "lookers" were here a very long time. Tired, drained, cold-night all!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:49 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Hey all-long roasted hunk of sirloin/vegs was great-just salad on the side for me-biscuits for Mr L as "lookers" were here a very long time. Tired, drained, cold-night all!
Ooohhh, I hope that means that the lookers liked what they saw! Hoping hard for you, Lacey, hoping hard indeed.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:49 PM

THat's a good sign, isn't it, that they were there a long time??

Have a great night, Lacey. I'm headed to the sofa soon, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink