Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 10:02 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
skbs, I think it was a name people in the service gave it. Seems anybody who's ever been in the service called it that.

Say, now that I have you....how come I think of you every time we have broccoli???
LOL there could be worse things to be associated with I guess LOL

Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Too funny. My Dad called it the same thing. Was you father in the service? Mine was in the Navy. Maybe that's where it came from.
No, but his Father was.... maybe that is where he got it??? Long Time Army guy my grandpa.... makes sense then....

Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Yes it was a service thing.

I haven't made it in awhile and we get great dried beef out here.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Well so much for plan A. Pork chops. I found some odd and ends chicken parts that have been in the freezer long enough and need to be used up. Guess I'll boil them up and then shred the chicken to make Ambers Chimichangas. I do need some certain ingredients still from the store to make it but since we have to go back to town again today I will get it then.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
I didn't know there were different kinds of dried beef---I have only found Armours dried beef. What are the names of the dried beef by you lacey??

Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,947,287 times
Happy Monday! Boy did this weekend fly.......I could have used one more day. Dinner last night was shrimp stir fry with tons of veggies and white rice. It was pretty tasty, and no leftovers. I just ate leftover mashed potatoes for lunch....totally boring but I can't waste food.

Tonight I have no idea what is for dinner. I hope BF cooks because I want to work out when I get home from musical rehearsal, and that is not until 5.30. I can exercise while he cooks......and then I can pig out as a reward

Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Cyn ours is from the local butcher shop and they make it there. It's delicious.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
I learned the SOS for cream chipped beef while at college.....my most proper father never called it that! I do believe it is military..(but I went to a most non military quaker college?????...

Almost everybody likes it. I found out when cooking it for myself...you need to freshen the dried beef in clear cold water to reduce the salt content. Havent cooked that for a long while.

I did some research on home made french fried potatoes....lots of techniques Paula Deen par boils her cut up potatoes...then cools and dries them.....someone else does soak in ice water and then dries thoroughly on tea towel...and both suggest the potatoes should be limp before frying. I think I will go with your suggestions of Ore Ida.

My DP partner came home from the fish market with 3 lobsters (about 1 3/4 lb size); several pounds of absolutely beautiful fresh sea scallops, (like the large plastic container they use for potato salad at the deli) and a large fillet of artic shad and another large salmon fillet plus a gorgeous fresh fillet of Haddock! I am in fish heaven!!!! We will have the lobstah tonight and tomorrow scallops...I froze the fish fillets. I best be going for asparagas, and a tomoto and ore ida potato and some ritz crackers and butter for my baked stuffed haddock! Gawd, I love living near the ocean.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Too funny. My Dad called it the same thing. Was you father in the service? Mine was in the Navy. Maybe that's where it came from.

Wasn't just the Navy, my dad was in the 'brown-shoe' Air Force and it was SOS there too!

Maybe it was just what they had to work with during the war, I've always liked it when I've had it.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I learned the SOS for cream chipped beef while at college.....my father never called it that! I do believe it is military.....but almost everybody likes it. I found out when cooking it for myself...you need to freshen the dried beef in clear cold water to reduce the salt content. Havent cooked that for a long while.

I did some research on home made french fried potatoes....lots of techniques Paula Deen par boils her cut up potatoes...then cools and dries them.....someone else does soak in ice water and then dries thoroughly on tea towel...and both suggest the potatoes should be limp before frying. I think I will go with your suggestions of Ore Ida.

My DP partner came home from the fish market with 3 lobsters (about 1 3/4 lb size); several pounds of absolutely beautiful fresh sea scallops, (like the large plastic container they use for potato salad at the deli) and a large fillet of artic shad and another large salmon fillet plus a gorgeous fresh fillet of Haddock! I am in fish heaven!!!! We will have the lobstah tonight and tomorrow scallops...I froze the fish fillets. I best be going for asparagas, and a tomoto and ore ida potato and some ritz crackers and butter for my baked stuffed haddock! Gawd, I love living near the ocean.
I had to go get a new key board since I shorted mine with all the drool. Oh Elston, I would really like to come stay with you for a few days. All of that sounds so wonderful. I think it's time to pickup some fresh seafood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink