Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times

Advertisements

I have made my own fries in the past.....but never was that thrilled with them and I hate it when the local fast food resturant has better fries than my home made.....maybe putting them in the oven as NMS says would improve them.......but I might go Ore-Ida. Would soaking the raw cut potatoes in water to take out some of the starch improve them? I wonder.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have made my own fries in the past.....but never was that thrilled with them and I hate it when the local fast food resturant has better fries than my home made.....maybe putting them in the oven as NMS says would improve them.......but I might go Ore-Ida. Would soaking the raw cut potatoes in water to take out some of the starch improve them? I wonder.

I think that is supposed to help. I don't make homemade very often, too much trouble. I usually use the ore-ida frys.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I have a hankering for creamed dried beef on toast, or maybe sausage and gravy...neither of which I ever eat, so I wonder what brought this on? It's really cold here, so maybe it's the weather that makes me want something creamy, starchy, and soothing.
Maybe I'll decide on something after I get to the store.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Those potatoes sounds AMAZING!!!! and my kids would totally approve of your veggie choice btw....
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I agree Debsi, can you ship some of those potatos down here to me????? I think they would go great with my spaghetti. lol

You girls are welcome to come on over!
I had these potatoes at the Sunday-after-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving I was invited to, and I've been thinking of them ever since. She didn't give me a recipe, I'm just going to wing it. With those ingredients they can't turn out bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I don't make them because I love them too much. I don't WANT to know how to make them!!!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You girls are welcome to come on over!
I had these potatoes at the Sunday-after-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving I was invited to, and I've been thinking of them ever since. She didn't give me a recipe, I'm just going to wing it. With those ingredients they can't turn out bad.

I don't make them because I love them too much. I don't WANT to know how to make them!!!!!
LOL I might just come on over 'cause it is most likely warmer at your house than mine! LOL and the smell of those potatoes is probably just as amazing as they sound.... unfortunatly I couldn't eat them... But I would be warm watching you eat which would be good enough for me and my cold bones....

Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a hankering for creamed dried beef on toast, or maybe sausage and gravy...neither of which I ever eat, so I wonder what brought this on? It's really cold here, so maybe it's the weather that makes me want something creamy, starchy, and soothing.
Maybe I'll decide on something after I get to the store.
I agree.... cold weather food. We would have that if my Dad cooked on a cold winter stormy night. Except he called a horribly foul name... Sh** on a Shingle.... I don't know why.... I have never heard anyone call it that. But he did.... and I grew up never saying it but I knew when he said "we're have sh** on a shingle" we were having chipped beef on toast....i can't believe I am telling that story.... he really isn't a trashy man either... oh man....

Old 01-26-2009, 09:56 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
Elston, now that you mention it, I did used to put them in cold water before I cooked them to keep them from turning brown, but I don't know if it made them better.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Quote:
I agree.... cold weather food. We would have that if my Dad cooked on a cold winter stormy night. Except he called a horribly foul name... Sh** on a Shingle.... I don't know why.... I have never heard anyone call it that. But he did.... and I grew up never saying it but I knew when he said "we're have sh** on a shingle" we were having chipped beef on toast....i can't believe I am telling that story.... he really isn't a trashy man either... oh man....
My Grandfather always called it that too. I think it is a name that they called it in the Army.

The acceptable way of calling it that was SOS. LOL (Although my Grandmother would shoot me a dirty look when I said it.)

Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
Quote:
skbs, I think it was a name people in the service gave it. Seems anybody who's ever been in the service called it that.

Say, now that I have you....how come I think of you every time we have broccoli???

Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,779,493 times
Quote:
Too funny. My Dad called it the same thing. Was you father in the service? Mine was in the Navy. Maybe that's where it came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink