Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 04:59 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,013,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
A dish that was a regular part of my mom's rotation is Tuna Rockefeller. I assume (based on the name) that that is a recipe you could find by searching the web. It was cooked in a pie plate, had no crust, and had frozen spinach in it. I think it was topped with grated cheddar and paprika. To be honest, not one of my favorites... but warm, comforting, and edible.
The only "Tuna Rockefeller" I found on line called for fresh tuna fish cut in chunks.....but the recipe was simple and could be adapted for canned tuna......It is essentially just tuna and creamed spinach and cracker crumbs......so I would butter a pie plate, put drained white tuna on it cover with frozen creamed spinach and sprinkle with parmagian and cover with buttered ritz cracker crumbs perhaps seasoned with some garlic powder and parsley and perhaps a little mozzerella or cheddah cheese over that and bake till hot and bubbly.....about 30 mins at 325*.

Or you could make fried tuna cakes.....a variation of crab cakes.

to a can of tuna add 1/4 cup each of chopped onion, bell pepper, and bread crumbs (either seasoned bread crumbs or add a little Old Bay Seasoning or garlic or onion powder) add a beaten egg and mix well and form into 2 cakes and fry in a mix of oil and butter till brown...turn and brown other side. Could serve with a mixture of a little mayo and chopped onion and sweet pickle relish and perhaps a chopped hard boiled egg.....or a commercial tartar sauce, or chili sauce or ketchup. (This recipe could be doubled or tripled easily; and why couldnt you use canned salmon or crab meat?)

OR

WE love to quickly cook some tuna in garlic butter and olive oil mix, add parsley and serve over spaghetti. serve with parmagian cheese. Some chopped black olives would work in the tuna and butter mix....and if it seemed too dry...a little chicken broth or some of the water from the can of tuna.....play that by ear.

Last edited by elston; 02-27-2009 at 05:13 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 05:03 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Good morning Jax.

Vichel-a glass of each would be fine-thank you. The aromas wafted thru my screen.

MWBW-those are long hours-yu must love your job.

Kimba-the tomato sauce has sugar added-that's probably why.

Noma-do happy you're happy.

SKBS-great meal, lucky kids.

Molochai-I love lobster and boy am I jealous.

Cyn,Elston,Kats,Kelsie,YLisa,Kshe and all-Happy Friday.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Yes, Happy Friday!!
Oh goodie--tonight DH is making up some Talapia with his special sauce and I picked up some dirty rice the other day and may give that a try! Never had it so I'm curious. Probably have some asparagus along with that!
Jaxson, I have heard about people using Wellbutrin to stop smoking and it may help---I can't say for myself because I've been taking it for a few years so I don't know if it helped or not. It sure can't hurt to try it though!
Lacey, it's good to hear Mr. L will probably get to come home this week-end...Sounds like he is getting better--yes!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:14 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
TGIF!!! I always loved fridays...when I worked and I when I retired. Just my favorite day of the week.

Cyn........sounds great. What special sauce does he make?

I have heard Wellbutin working too. Not sure what it was but one man took something and he was amazed how he did stop. I think that was wellbutin.

We are drivng into Philly today to visit friends. While we are there, we will stop inour favorite fish place. Not that many great fishes places here in DE. You would think being so close to the water they would be all over the place. Theres a few but nothing to die for as far as I am concerned.

Have a great day all.........And lacey......glad Mr. L is doing good

Old 02-27-2009, 07:41 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
EM you are going into Philly and not getting a cheesesteak?

Lacey saw pictures of your state on our local news this morning. Girl I will pray extra hard your buyer comes.......soon.

Also heard some part of TX is going to get in the triple digits today! Crazy un-normal weather I am telling ya.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Jax 10" here and bless our lawn guy he plowed us out and shoveled during the night. Now they say snow Tues/Weds/Thurs and ice Fri. "Calgon take me away!"

Off to hosp shortly, not sure if it's welcome home day.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
TGIF

Opening night went pretty well -- some characters forgot a few lyrics but oh well. They came through on the dancing part and that's what I am in charge of so I was happy.

I had a bowl of soup and carrots for dinner last night......got home at 10 and went straight to bed.

Today I am going to get some Panera for dinner between the school day and the show. Also going to kill some time shopping at Target ... one of my favorite places!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
kimba- Sorry about your kruat. I'm with you Bavarian is the best. Next time buy a couple of cans so you have a back up.

burdell- You always make me miss the NY food I grew up with specifically Italian Subs. Oh Yum.

skbs- Wow that is great that Diva loves those veggies. I ate everything when I was a kid and I still didn't do brussel sprouts until I was older.

[quote=elston;7651992]Or you could make fried tuna cakes.....a variation of crab cakes.

to a can of tuna add 1/4 cup each of chopped onion, bell pepper, and bread crumbs (either seasoned bread crumbs or add a little Old Bay Seasoning or garlic or onion powder) add a beaten egg and mix well and form into 2 cakes and fry in a mix of oil and butter till brown...turn and brown other side. Could serve with a mixture of a little mayo and chopped onion and sweet pickle relish and perhaps a chopped hard boiled egg.....or a commercial tartar sauce, or chili sauce or ketchup. (This recipe could be doubled or tripled easily; and why couldn't you use canned salmon or crab meat?)

Thank you Elston. I think I might try that tonight.

OR

WE love to quickly cook some tuna in garlic butter and olive oil mix, add parsley and serve over spaghetti. serve with parmagian cheese. Some chopped black olives would work in the tuna and butter mix....and if it seemed too dry...a little chicken broth or some of the water from the can of tuna.....play that by ear.

Hmm, I need to be braver for that. I love all the ingredients I'm just not sure if I would like them together. Kind of like Fish Taco's. I just can't get over the combo even though it might be delicious.

Hi all. It's raining here so it's wet and soggy. Well it's better than snow. Jaxson- did you say triple digits in TX? OMG, I can't stand when it gets higher than 80. I would melt. Wee used to live in FL and from May until October I didn't leave the air conditioned house.

I think I might try elston's recipe for tuna cakes. Pasta and sauce for hubby.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
We'll probably have hot dogs for dinner tonight.

I get to work possibly both days this weekend so I am planning to reward myself by putting a chuck roast in my dutch oven on low heat and roasting it all day until it falls apart into beautiful shredded beef taco filling goodness.

I'll give it a dry rub of some of both smoked sweet and hot paprikas*, salt, pepper, and a bit of cayenne. Then I'll pour a can of tomato sauce in the pot and a cup or so of water and then put the roast in and one sliced onion.

* this stuff is awesome. I have "caliente" and "dulce."

http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop...0la%20vera.jpg

Last edited by Debsi; 02-27-2009 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: * forgot the onion! :)

Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,670 times
Good Morning!

Wow, it's warm outside today...51...great winter weather. I love it!

I'm making for dinner tonight, Angel Hair Pasta with Shrimp & Pesto Sauce.
I might even throw in a small piece of bread to wipe up all that good pesto sauce.

Have a wonderful Friday everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink