Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times

Advertisements

Dining with anal vegans/vegetarians. I'm not saying ALL vegetarians...just dining with the ones that make a big production out of it. They scrutinize every item on the buffet. They tell their children "No, **** you can't order that, it has meat in it." And feeling guilty as said kids look longingly at your burger or baby back ribs.

Then there are the different stages of vegans - you can't order a pizza because they can't' eat cheese made with dairy. Then the ones that only eat organic...or only eat raw.

My oldest was such a holier-than-thou-pain-in-the-butt when she became a vegetarian. Anywhere we went, it was always "There's nothing here I can EEEEEAAATTTT."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 04:22 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I know it should not matter, but I can't help but feel miffed if someone accepts an invitation to dine out, let's say for pizza, and they only eat the cheese because they are dietting!@! or they order hot wings and leave most of the meat on the bone!

Duh, why did they accept the invitation if they were going to ditch half the food?
The point was the opportunity to enjoy your company. The food was just an excuse to do so. Be flattered that they wanted to spend time with you.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Dining with anal vegans/vegetarians. I'm not saying ALL vegetarians...just dining with the ones that make a big production out of it. They scrutinize every item on the buffet. They tell their children "No, **** you can't order that, it has meat in it." And feeling guilty as said kids look longingly at your burger or baby back ribs.

Then there are the different stages of vegans - you can't order a pizza because they can't' eat cheese made with dairy. Then the ones that only eat organic...or only eat raw.

My oldest was such a holier-than-thou-pain-in-the-butt when she became a vegetarian. Anywhere we went, it was always "There's nothing here I can EEEEEAAATTTT."
im glad you mentioned this- years ago, i had a vegan sister in law -who loved to "go out to eat" and we'd let her pick the restaurant, and she would spend 15 minutes trying to tell us what to eat, and what not to eat, and then she would comment on what others were eating (ewwww & icks)
so, by the time we were ready to order most of the table was quite irritated-we wanted a pleasant evening, not a lecture

Old 05-04-2014, 06:09 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
im glad you mentioned this- years ago, i had a vegan sister in law -who loved to "go out to eat" and we'd let her pick the restaurant, and she would spend 15 minutes trying to tell us what to eat, and what not to eat, and then she would comment on what others were eating (ewwww & icks)
so, by the time we were ready to order most of the table was quite irritated-we wanted a pleasant evening, not a lecture

About 15 years ago, DH was listening every night to "Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM'. The radio show featured a lot of conspiracy topics, and one at that time was "Mad Cow Disease". DH became so PARANOID about eating beef and contracting Mad Cow Disease. At our office Christmas Party (at a country club), DH was the only one who declined the prime rib (the best I'd ever tasted) that my boss had ordered for the party. He wouldn't even taste it. When we were invited to a friend's house for dinner, he refused to eat the lasagne our hostess prepared because it had ground beef in it. The ultimate LAST STRAW was at his company picnic, where he wouldn't let our daughter have a hamburger. He wouldn't let her have a hot dog either - he went to the caterers and asked if there was beef in it. They were 100 percent beef, so no go. She had to eat cheese and pickles in a hot dog roll. Of course, I wasn't going to torture her by eating one in front of her. I gave him an ultimatum - I wouldn't go to any more parties, picnics, or dinners with him if he was going to continue to be such a jacka**.

You don't hear about Mad Cow Disease anymore. DH feels bad about acting so silly, and eats beef now (although he still is a little bit skittish about hamburger).

Old 05-04-2014, 07:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
About 15 years ago, DH was listening every night to "Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM'. The radio show featured a lot of conspiracy topics, and one at that time was "Mad Cow Disease". DH became so PARANOID about eating beef and contracting Mad Cow Disease. At our office Christmas Party (at a country club), DH was the only one who declined the prime rib (the best I'd ever tasted) that my boss had ordered for the party. He wouldn't even taste it. When we were invited to a friend's house for dinner, he refused to eat the lasagne our hostess prepared because it had ground beef in it. The ultimate LAST STRAW was at his company picnic, where he wouldn't let our daughter have a hamburger. He wouldn't let her have a hot dog either - he went to the caterers and asked if there was beef in it. They were 100 percent beef, so no go. She had to eat cheese and pickles in a hot dog roll. Of course, I wasn't going to torture her by eating one in front of her. I gave him an ultimatum - I wouldn't go to any more parties, picnics, or dinners with him if he was going to continue to be such a jacka**.

You don't hear about Mad Cow Disease anymore. DH feels bad about acting so silly, and eats beef now (although he still is a little bit skittish about hamburger).
ive been accused on here as being heavy handed and overly defensive

but because i work in the industry, the food nazis and anti-meat crowd scares the hell out of people by design,,, i still get questions on pink slime-tho i've never had it in my stores
sensationalism, is what the media is all about

burger is fine,,,just cook to internal temp of 160 this will kill any bacteria-if any

Old 05-04-2014, 07:10 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
Reading this thread, I am glad my dad was a so strict with table manners.
I think men with baseball caps at any place other then a picnic, or adults who cut all their meat at once , cell phone gabbers, are just ill mannered. Folks rude and condescending to staff, tend to be that way with others, and no one I would associate with.
I knew an elderly man who often looked like hes conducting an orchestra, fork in one hand, knife in the other, talking with his hands during dinner. Yes, he's Italian. You could wind up with an eyeful of gravy.
People sharing the digestive process with an openmouth full of potato salad are a great dinner companion when you are dieting

Old 05-04-2014, 07:19 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
people who take way more than they can eat at a buffet and throw the food out. Seriously I was raised to clean off my plate.. if you know you cannot finish it than don't take the food.

People who are overly picky and have to pick stuff off of things like pizza. I don't particularly like Olives but if they are on a pizza I will eat them.. I guess I have too much pride in my willingness to eat anything.. picky eaters do annoy me though unless they are that way for a specific reason (gluten free, diabetic, vegetarian, paleo, or whatever)

Other than these two maybe chomping food with mouth open, just like people who chomp gum with their mouths open, making that loud gum chomping noise...

Old 05-04-2014, 07:45 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I know it should not matter, but I can't help but feel miffed if someone accepts an invitation to dine out, let's say for pizza, and they only eat the cheese because they are dietting!@! or they order hot wings and leave most of the meat on the bone!
Duh, why did they accept the invitation if they were going to ditch half the food?
Well, to be fair. They didn't necessarily know what the food would taste like, or what it would exactly be like, when they accepted the invitation.

And if they're only eating the cheese because they're dieting ... they're not going to be successful in their diet.

But I'll give you one that irritates me. I can't stand people who are dining out, in a restaurant, on someone else's dime, and order the most expensive, biggest thing they can find, and then take three-quarters of it home.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:01 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
I can agree with those of you who mentioned holier than thou vegeterians/vegans/pescatarians/ethical omnivores, etc. I don't have a problem with people who make those kinds of choices. Don't want to eat meat? Fine with me as now there is more for me. Just don't make a big deal out of it. You eat your food and I'll eat mine. It's the same with people who make a big deal with dieting. Don't go out to eat if you're going to be a pill.

I also get annoyed by adults who are picky eaters. I have a cousin who has the food preferences of a nine year old and nobody likes going out to eat with him.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:05 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
people talking with their mouths full (causing them to spit their food out) gag me!
someone blowing their nose at the table
coughing without turning their heads and covering their mouths
slurping soup
loud chewing/smacking
elbows on the table, slouched over, shovelling the food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink