Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
But why the need to vent about it if there are other stores available? Whole Foods is not the only game in town. This entire thread reads as class envy, and you're going to have a hard time convincing me that it's anything but that.
I don't think its class envy, as much as misinformation,
we've had numerous threads on trader joe's and whole foods on here- its a food forum,

and this is fine, but what rubs many of us the wrong way is this - moralizing food choices

" I only buy organics, I wont buy the crap at most grocery stores, with the gmo's, the factory farming,
the chemicals, etc,"

which implies, only ignorant people buy anywhere else (other grocery stores)
the thing that frustrates me is- the one time I went there they had many fruits and veggies mislabeled
and charging double of any other grocery stores

then when family members go- its similar to on here, whole foods is so great, and its clean- the smelly people go to Walmart and other grocery stores

in fact,, I've heard people say "at whole foods, you don't have the riff-raff, the food stampers"
and its also true, they don't have the bargain shopper, im one of them-

so,, that class warfare someone mentioned is a two way street

their's a lot of misinformation about organics (along with mislabeling) so when many have a "holier than thou" attitude towards whole foods and trader joes- and then start moralizing food choices-then yes it rubs many the wrong way
no different, than if I went to the most expensive restaurant I can find and say " the grass fed, organic tenderloin I had was the best, but then add "i don't know why most of the people go to any other restaurant and eat that "other" factory farmed, chemical laden crap" (and of course, I fail to mention I paid 80.00 for the steak I had)
im essentially being a food snob (not everyone can afford an 80.00 meal) and looking down/making judgements upon the masses for making unhealthy choices

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 06-28-2014 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 05:36 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwitch View Post
I personally don't shop at Whole Foods since they don't cater to my needs as a Paleo eater. You can buy millions of low-fat sugar-laden garbage but try getting them to stock real healthy food like lard. They won't do it. Meanwhile Americans keep falling for these lies that fat is bad and they keep getting fatter.

A true "health foods" store would have only the following items in it:

Meat
Animal fats (such as lard, butter, or even beef tallow)
Eggs
Vegetables
Coconut oil

No grains, no sugar-containing foods (including fruit), no dairy (except butter), and no nuts (since they are highly inflammatory).
I can't find lard or tallow at any of my local grocery stores (shortening doesn't count) but I can get duck fat from my local Wholefoods.

In an ideal world, grocery stores would have far less processed products on the shelf but your concept of healthful eating isn't the next person's. I know quite a few people who are Paleo and eat nuts, fruits and even some dairy beyond butter and they're fit and healthy and say they feel great for the changes they made in their diet.

Other than the lard or tallow, you can find everything you need in any grocery store across the country. Beyond that, it comes down to price and quality of what you buy.

ETA: There isn't even a consensus within the Paleo community about what is considered "okay."

Last edited by ozgal; 06-28-2014 at 05:56 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we've had numerous threads on trader joe's and whole foods on here- its a food forum,

and this is fine, but what rubs many of us the wrong way is this - moralizing food choices

" I only buy organics, I wont buy the crap at most grocery stores, with the gmo's, the factory farming,
the chemicals, etc,"

the thing that frustrates me is- the one time I went there they had many fruits and veggies mislabeled

then when family members go- its similar to on here, whole foods is so great, and its clean- the smelly people go to Walmart and other grocery stores

in fact,, I've heard people say "at whole foods, you don't have the riff-raff, the food stampers"

their's a lot of misinformation about organics (along with mislabeling) so when many have a "holier than thou" attitude towards whole foods and trader joes- and then start moralizing food choices-then yes it rubs many the wrong way
no different, than if I went to the most expensive restaurant I can find and say " the grass fed, organic tenderloin I had was the best, but then add "i don't know why most of the people go to any other restaurant and eat that "other" factory farmed, chemical laden crap" (and of course, I fail to mention I paid 80.00 for the steak I had)
im essentially being a food snob (not everyone can afford an 80.00 meal) and looking down/making judgements upon the masses for making unhealthy choices

I have my issues with organic labeling but I see no issue with someone looking for quality over quantity in their food. It doesn't make me a food snob if I prefer my eggs to come from chickens scratching in dirt to eat bugs and worms rather than in crowded cages fed who knows what, or even all vegetarian feed because eggs from roaming, dirt scratching chickens tastes delicious and ethically I feel better supporting that kind of farming over factory farming and horrible living conditions of the animals who provide my dairy, eggs and meat etc.

It's none of my business what you do or why you do it but because I choose differently and if I am asked why I shop where I do and buy as I do, it is not a judgment against you or where you shop or why you shop there.

I don't go around telling people I shop at Wholefoods or anywhere else I shop and making snide comments about how superior I am for doing so.

If I had an $80 grass fed steak at a high end restaurant, and it was truly an amazing steak, sure I'd mention it was amazing and how great it was to see them offer grass fed beef on the menu, but with my next breath I'd be commenting on how ridiculously expensive it was and while it was a great experience, I wouldn't be doing it again anytime soon.

Even if I was a millionaire I couldn't see myself regularly going out for $80 steaks. I'd rather go to a local farm, pay a premium that likely exceeds what I'd pay at a Wholefoods butcher counter, and cook that steak up myself.

Ok, maybe I'd have my personal chef cook it for me...

Old 06-28-2014, 06:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

the chemicals, etc,"

Here's the thing, though: I have outlined why I shop at WF -- it's where I do 99% of my grocery shopping -- and not one of my reasons has anything to do with organics. Besides, a wide variety of organic products can be found at every grocery store in town. I resent being painted as a naive spendthrift because of where I purchase my food, and I won't stand by and let it pass here on the forums or elsewhere. This whole thread reeks of class envy. It's not about the damn organics, and you know that as well as I do.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-28-2014 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 06:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I have my issues with organic labeling but I see no issue with someone looking for quality over quantity in their food. It doesn't make me a food snob if I prefer my eggs to come from chickens scratching in dirt to eat bugs and worms rather than in crowded cages fed who knows what, or even all vegetarian feed because eggs from roaming, dirt scratching chickens tastes delicious and ethically I feel better supporting that kind of farming over factory farming and horrible living conditions of the animals who provide my dairy, eggs and meat etc.

It's none of my business what you do or why you do it but because I choose differently and if I am asked why I shop where I do and buy as I do, it is not a judgment against you or where you shop or why you shop there.

I don't go around telling people I shop at Wholefoods or anywhere else I shop and making snide comments about how superior I am for doing so.
You just did, to a membership of over 2million people. You just told us that WE - the people who don't shop where you shop, choose less ethically, and settle for inferior products.

Sometimes, people are so wrapped up in their own superior ethics, they don't realize how snobbish they come off when they make statements.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You just did, to a membership of over 2million people. You just told us that WE - the people who don't shop where you shop, choose less ethically, and settle for inferior products.

Sometimes, people are so wrapped up in their own superior ethics, they don't realize how snobbish they come off when they make statements.
I disagree.

It's where I, personally, feel comfortable with what I eat and feed my family and what I enjoy about the food I eat. Where you choose to shop and what you choose to buy and what you wish to eat is not my business. I don't go around in person, telling people about my choices. I explain if they question. I don't look down my nose at people in stores who fill their carts with food I don't eat and honestly, I rarely even glance at what is in other people's carts.

I don't ask a host where their food came from when they put a dinner plate in front of me, I buy "what I can afford" when my grocery budget is tight and accept that I'm doing the best I can, for me, and my family and that what everyone else is doing is what works for them.

I think people should be informed about the source of their food, and that they should be able to read and understand nutritional labels and ingredient lists, but not everyone does or even wants to and that's their prerogative.

It has little to do with where I shop because I can often find what I need at many of my local grocery stores or independent local businesses.

The whole, "you stating what you choose to do makes me feel inferior," is a tired and misguided notion. You hear it all the time, from choices in child rearing, to exercise to diet, to how people choose to invest, or even what they do for leisure. I'm not denying that there are people who flaunt labels, or people who preach to the disinterested, but I'm sitting here in my PJs from Walmart, so make of it what you will.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:05 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Reminder to keep posts on topic and within TOS.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Reminder to keep posts on topic and within TOS.

I actually recently read an article about how often stores charge more in $/weight than you actually get, even when you discount the "x% of this product is water weight," disclaimers.

Things like buying 2 lbs of chicken, and once you discarded the packaging, the water soaked padding under the chicken and drained off excess water, you'd end up with something like 1.6lb of chicken.

It's why I have a hard time getting up in arms about it, regardless of what store it happens at. It's not cool, but it's utterly unsurprising.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:36 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have been in WalMarts all over the country and in Mexico; I have never been in one that smelled: I have seen a few that have stuff piled in the aisles and are messy, but, to me, there is a huge difference between dirty, smelly and cluttered. Even the only one I have been when cruising the Mexican Riv wasn't dirty. We had to get sun screen and it was cheaper than on the ship. The same in RI when we had been on a ship. I don't remember what we needed but we did pop into one. It was close enough to the port to walk/
Well perhaps you have a different threshold for what is dirty and smelly. That's why they were MY reasons for not shopping there. No judgements of anyone who finds them clean enough to shop there.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Well perhaps you have a different threshold for what is dirty and smelly. That's why they were MY reasons for not shopping there. No judgements of anyone who finds them clean enough to shop there.
boy if that is not a direct insult I never read one!!!!! BTW, I think we are beating a dead horse. Like Berretta has said, we are getting off topic altogether. The subject, if I remember right was: Wholefoods over charge and many of us feel the same, but I think I will just bow out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink