Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,577,925 times

Advertisements

There are a few items that I occasionally need that I can only find at Whole Foods so I go there every few months just to buy one or two things. I tend to buy a lot of organic but there is another natural food store near me that is much cheaper and is higher quality then WF. Many identical items are twice as much at WF compared to my preferred store. I think WF is hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 AM

730 posts, read 1,293,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Some of their items are actually cheaper than regular grocery store items.
I've seen WF price even non-365-brand items cheaper that my regular grocery store (Stop & Shop) for the same item. Not a lot, but certain things WF prices either the same or less.

One thing that WF does is to offer a 10% "case discount", which none of the regular grocery stores in my area will do. For example, I regularly buy the Eden brand canned chickpeas, kidney beans, etc because they are the only brand using a BPA-free can lining. A can of these chickpeas is priced at $2.49 at both WF and at the local Stop & Shop grocery stores in their natural foods section. So, same price at both stores BUT at WF I have the option to buy a case of 12 (which is what I usually do) and so it comes out to $2.25 each instead. I can't even buy a case of them via Amazon for that low a price, LOL

I only buy certain items at WF: the aforesaid Eden brand canned beans; the 365 brand imported Basmati rice (I've tried all the other brands and this one for some reason performs best in my Zojirushi cooker and tastes best too); Lapas brand Greek EVOO which nobody else in my area stocks; and the 365 brand unsweetened organic applesauce. WF does have an excellent cheese department, though, which far outstrips any of my other local stores.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,679,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I've seen WF price even non-365-brand items cheaper that my regular grocery store (Stop & Shop) for the same item. Not a lot, but certain things WF prices either the same or less.

One thing that WF does is to offer a 10% "case discount", which none of the regular grocery stores in my area will do. For example, I regularly buy the Eden brand canned chickpeas, kidney beans, etc because they are the only brand using a BPA-free can lining. A can of these chickpeas is priced at $2.49 at both WF and at the local Stop & Shop grocery stores in their natural foods section. So, same price at both stores BUT at WF I have the option to buy a case of 12 (which is what I usually do) and so it comes out to $2.25 each instead. I can't even buy a case of them via Amazon for that low a price, LOL

I only buy certain items at WF: the aforesaid Eden brand canned beans; the 365 brand imported Basmati rice (I've tried all the other brands and this one for some reason performs best in my Zojirushi cooker and tastes best too); Lapas brand Greek EVOO which nobody else in my area stocks; and the 365 brand unsweetened organic applesauce. WF does have an excellent cheese department, though, which far outstrips any of my other local stores.
Yup, their 365 brand is very good IMO. And yes their prices are cheaper on items like eggs, real butter, blue corn chips, etc.

They also surprisingly have great sales. One a week they will have sales on their meats and that is when I stock up.

Their wines are cheap as well and they offer free 6-pack bags and give you a 10% discount on all wines, even the ones that are on sale. I picked up some of my favorite wine, regularly 20$/bottle, on sale for 9.99$/bottle, purchased 6 with the 10% and paid only 54$. The same bottle was for sale at the local grocery chain for 20$/bottle, no sale.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:34 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
There are a few items that I occasionally need that I can only find at Whole Foods so I go there every few months just to buy one or two things. I tend to buy a lot of organic but there is another natural food store near me that is much cheaper and is higher quality then WF. Many identical items are twice as much at WF compared to my preferred store. I think WF is hype.
I agree, for the most part, organic is hype and you are correct their organic selection is super expensive (6.99$/lb) for grapes.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I agree, for the most part, organic is hype and you are correct their organic selection is super expensive (6.99$/lb) for grapes.
I don't think all organic is hype. I do think a lot of it is though and you can't always just trust labels because some companies will do the absolute minimum to get that organic label and they can and do get away with it. I think WF sells a lot of organics that meet the absolute minimum. And they charge an arm and leg for them. Another thing is a lot of what Whole Foods sells is not organic at all.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don't think all organic is hype. I do think a lot of it is though and you can't always just trust labels because some companies will do the absolute minimum to get that organic label and they can and do get away with it. I think WF sells a lot of organics that meet the absolute minimum. And they charge an arm and leg for them. Another thing is a lot of what Whole Foods sells is not organic at all.
It's not all organic, however, they aren't riddled with steroids and that is why I like to shop there. Milk, butter, eggs, etc. They use cows and chickens that aren't fed steroids, and that is what I pay a little extra for.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:48 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,038,312 times
If you eat vegan and shopping only for one person, I think WF is a great place to shop for healthy, ready made vegan food. The WF near me also has excellent produce.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
It's not all organic, however, they aren't riddled with steroids and that is why I like to shop there. Milk, butter, eggs, etc. They use cows and chickens that aren't fed steroids, and that is what I pay a little extra for.
Agreed. I feel the same way. There are things that I look for in certain foods and organic is not always my top priority. And I will pay a little extra to get what I want.

I'm just saying that researching different companies is a good thing. Sometimes there is more to the story then the organic label, or the store that a product is purchased in. Whole Foods has done an excellent job with branding and marketing. There are people who walk into Whole Foods and assume that everything is natural and organic and it's just not the case. Savvy consumers will notice that fact and/or do some research into the products before buying.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,259,385 times
Why all the concern about what other people believe? I don't understand it. Nor do I understand the purpose of this thread. Lots of faux outrage. It's a grocery store. Some people like to shop there. What is the big deal?

Old 06-25-2014, 11:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,147,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think most people who shop there already know their products are way more expensive than other stores but just don't care. Now it seems there was some misrepresentation as well. Will you stop shopping there now?

Whole Foods Overcharged Customers, Investigation Finds
AH and this is news?? Eyery time I buy advertised specials a our local supermarket chain I check the receipt before leaving the store. Strange after the ad has been running for a few days they are still "surprised" to find the computer error. No one else noticed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink