Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 09:56 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times

Advertisements

Can't beat corn on the cob ............EXCEPT ...for that half cob that Long John Sivers offered with their specials.

REALLY BAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't gone back since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 10:15 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I love fresh corn on the cob, canned corn (when I cannot have fresh), and corn tortillas (with carnitas or carne asada, of course!)

Old 09-28-2013, 01:38 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
This is one of my favorite ways to eat corn ...

I can't believe I never put corn in salad before, 'til I had dinner at a friend's house and she had corn in hers. YUM!! I think I want this salad for dinner TONIGHT!!

Old 09-28-2013, 01:52 PM

126,279 posts, read 19,053,589 times
I love fresh corn bread,roasted corn on a tawa or corn with lemon juice. Sometimes I make an Indian corn vegetable dish called ,,Makkai'' ( dry spiced sweetcorn) or even Makkai Paneer Pakoras.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:59 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
The farm stands are full of fresh off the stalk sweet corn right now. The only way to eat it! A few weeks ago I got some that the little girl at the stand said had just been picked 20 minutes ago. Wonderful!

Except with my old teeth I don't enjoy eating off the cob anymore - just slice the kernals off, steam them, and throw them in with whatever else I got at the farm stand. Yummmm, fresh tomatoes and peppers and corn with fresh oregano!

I do hate hominy, though. I understand that it was a way to preserve corn for the off-season, but yuck I hate hominy.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:06 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilrepairman View Post
I mean it's tasty, non-offensive, multiple use, non-divisive food. Corn on the cob, corn pudding, tortillas, cornbread, polenta, popcorn, etc. What a great food huh? Gosh, corn is so good I'm gonna grab me some right now. Don't try and stop me.
I love corn, especially corn on the cob. My kids love steamed corn with melted butter on top.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
FTR, I'm fond of organic Silver Queen corn.
Yeah, if you can find it, and can eat it the same day it's picked, it's great. It used to be one of the summer treats that I looked forward to when I traveled through Eastern Maryland. That's the one region where it's still fairly widely cultivated.

But I've read many articles in recent years that claim that maybe 90% of what gets sold as Silver Queen, especially outside Maryland, is not really Silver Queen at all, but other similar, but sweeter white sweet corn varieties. The name has become kind of a generic name for the general type.

If you care to read more about it, here's an article that distinguishes between the three types of sweet corn, and why authentic Silver Queen has fallen out of favor with many growers.

Quote:
Sweet corn comes in three types, the breakdown of which is related to genetics. The categories are regular sugary corn (SU), sugary enhancer (SE) and super sweet (Sh2). Silver Queen is SU, but most foodies prefer SE corn types because these varieties combine the best attributes of the other two. Also, the sweetness in SU varieties tends to break down very quickly and this does not make it a good candidate for sale because it often cannot be picked, sold and eaten within the same day. Farmers are now turning away from Silver Queen for other, sweeter varieties. Silver Queen also has a tendency to be plagued by corn earworms. Plus, other corn varieties are early types that also have a shorter growing season. This allows them to be on the table by the 4th of July.

Silver Queen corn - Baltimore Gardening | Examiner.com

Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,957 times
I love LOVE corn. Ate corn on the cob tonight. I buttered the corn, swiped Sweet Baby Ray's on them, wrapped them in foil and cooked them on the grill. They were so delicious.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
At a certain point in maturity, the sugars in corn undergo a conversion to starch. When harvesting regular corn picked at the prime of sweetness, conversion begins within hours. Conversion can be delayed by lowering the temperature (refrigerating/freezing). SE varieties convert more slowly, and the Super Sweets are designed to convert slowest of all.

I planted about 400 sq.ft. of different varieties, been eating it for weeks. You can put corn in a lot of things...I'm a big fan of one-pot cooking.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
a friend of mine was invited to a corn on the cob feed in Illinois by a corporation.

(He was a farm boy from MN who grew up on a dairy farm)

He was shocked to see MARGARINE as the only thing used to put on the sweet corn.
He said the sweet corn was so juicy and good,he put NOTHING on it instead of MARGARINE.

MARGARINE on sweet corn ?

get real !!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink