Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 04:36 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

Into the thread before someone shows up yammering about how this stuff is not authentic and real Mexican food is so much better!

3... 2... 1...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 06:10 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
I'm very fond of moles, from guacamole to chicken in that black mole sauce. I made the black mole sauce once at home, but haven't made it again as my wife wasn't fond of it. I'm gonna try another 20 + ingredient recipe again. The one thing we had at home that neither of us liked was huitlacoche (called corn fungus or corn smut). Of course it had been frozen and thawed, so I have no comparison to fresh. I have made Cochinita Pibil, using the traditional wrap of banana leaves. Carnitas are best cooked in manteca or leaf lard. We make tamales several times a year and with the exception of the last ones we made which were vegan, lard is used in the masa. Chili rellenos from fresh pablanos or the reconstituted dried version, anchos, are great. So far, I prefer homemade instead of restaurant Mexican/Tex-Mex/SW food. I only wish I could get my hands on some of the chilis grown in Mexico that aren't commercially available. As far as it being "Healthy", I don't care and don't eat it as often as I would like. Food from my heritage, German, supposedly isn't "Healthy" either. Not gonna stop me from eating it.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:15 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Into the thread before someone shows up yammering about how this stuff is not authentic and real Mexican food is so much better!

3... 2... 1...
I have been to Mexico many times. I like the food down there but I like the Americanized Mexican food just fine.

Just like there are regional differences there, the Mexican food here is different depending on where you get it.
eg Tex-Mex is not like SoCal or Colorado versions.

For the record, my 'so far' favorite American Mexican food was in San Antonio. My favorite Mexican Mexican food was in La Paz.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:32 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I have been to Mexico many times. I like the food down there but I like the Americanized Mexican food just fine.

Just like there are regional differences there, the Mexican food here is different depending on where you get it.
eg Tex-Mex is not like SoCal or Colorado versions.

For the record, my 'so far' favorite American Mexican food was in San Antonio. My favorite Mexican Mexican food was in La Paz.
When in Mexico, I seek out the food that has not been influenced by the Spanish or French, but is made by the native people, that some still speak Nahuatl.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:00 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
although my sisters and most of my friends like Mexican food...i do not. none of it.
when we go out for Mexican, they say "take a bite or mine" or "try this".
it is not bad, it is just not good enough for me to pay for.
so...i order and salad and drink Mexican beer...which is good.
I used to feel the same way! I would go out to dinner with friends and when they asked where we should go, my chronic answer was "anything but Mexican." In a pinch, I'd order fajitas aka Mexican stir fry.

THEN I dated a Hispanic man (I lived in Phoenix then). His mother cooked for me. He took me to authentic Mexican food places (many of which could barely be called 'restaurants '). Not A bit of orange cheese in sight.

I still love THAT type of Mexican food, and I've learned to cook certain things quite well. Often requested for potlucks: guacamole (It's an art, not a science or recipe), enchiladas (green Chile sauce, and no freaking orange cheese!), Pork with green Chile (hatch hot as hell chiles for us, milder for guests), and others. The pork with green Chile is DH's favorite food, except maybe a 1.5 inch thick ribeye.

And when we lived part time in mexico. . . The street taco vendors were heavenly.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:05 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Carne asada anything.
Tacos al pastor
Fish tacos

Old 10-27-2018, 07:07 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I love freshly made salsa with cilantro
Hubby likes beef fajitas, hold the sour cream
I like roasted pork carnitas soft tacos with cilantro and tomato and lettuce. They come with grilled onions, cucumbers and radish on the side.

We do not like melted cheese sauce or runny refried beans, or rice.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
My husband is particularly fond of molletes. Not really my thing, but he loves them. When I eat a Mexican meal, I prefer tortillas to bread.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:54 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:

3... 2... 1...
The best Mexican food on the planet is in a little hole in the wall located in an old rundown strip mall close to where I live. No one would dare go into there though, because they would rather visit the touristy downtown places which have been scamming people for decades.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:37 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
Quote:

3... 2... 1...

That's Me

I would not say " Better " but diffidently not as spicy in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink