Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:25 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Oooh, pork rinds...chicharron! Another polarizing goody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 10:00 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm neutral on licorice. It's not a craving, but I won't spit it out, either. My husband inadvertently brought back a bag of the ammonium chloride salty licorice from Europe, and he won't touch it (and he loves traditional black licorice). I haven't tried it yet, but I might.
It's definitely an acquired taste (especially the diamond shaped ones and the ones shaped like coins. They can be a bit acrid).

Salted licorice quickly became a favorite of mine after my father brought me back a bag of salted licorice cats from Germany. Something about the hardness of the candy that becomes chewier as it sits in your mouth and the combination of saltiness and vague sweetness makes it borderline addictive.

I watch how much I eat though, as eating too much licorice isn't good for you.

My dad had a habit of bringing me interesting foods from foreign countries. Outside of the German salted licorice, this habit of his lead to me discovering that I liked salted dried plums and shrimp flavored rice crackers (not at the same time, of course). I don't think that he realized what they were when he bought them for me (he was in Hong Kong and just bought whatever looked interesting to him in the market), but thanks to the local Asian markets here in Pittsburgh, I'm able to treat myself to a bag of either once in a while.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:04 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Mmm, foie gras. How could anyone not like foie gras?!? But I have to admit the guilt factor is high.
I'm not a fan of foie, unless it's been cured first. At that point, it's quite good shaved on a toast point with something acidic to cut the richness.

Foie reminds me of liver whipped with butter. I like butter; I will eat liver--I just don't want them at the same time, lol!

I also loathe the smell of foie as it's being seared.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
It's definitely an acquired taste (especially the diamond shaped ones and the ones shaped like coins. They can be a bit acrid).

Salted licorice quickly became a favorite of mine after my father brought me back a bag of salted licorice cats from Germany. Something about the hardness of the candy that becomes chewier as it sits in your mouth and the combination of saltiness and vague sweetness makes it borderline addictive.

I watch how much I eat though, as eating too much licorice isn't good for you.

My dad had a habit of bringing me interesting foods from foreign countries. Outside of the German salted licorice, this habit of his lead to me discovering that I liked salted dried plums and shrimp flavored rice crackers (not at the same time, of course). I don't think that he realized what they were when he bought them for me (he was in Hong Kong and just bought whatever looked interesting to him in the market), but thanks to the local Asian markets here in Pittsburgh, I'm able to treat myself to a bag of either once in a while.
Yes, my spouse is an 18-year Navy vet, with lots of travel (mostly in the far east, but increasingly Europe of late), and also an adventurous eater and shopper, so it's always fun to see what he beings back. Japanese candies are really popular with our kids (and Korean facial masks, for me, lol).

Old 06-24-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I'm not a fan of foie, unless it's been cured first. At that point, it's quite good shaved on a toast point with something acidic to cut the richness.

Foie reminds me of liver whipped with butter. I like butter; I will eat liver--I just don't want them at the same time, lol!

I also loathe the smell of foie as it's being seared.
I like pate in general, but have only had foie gras once...I was at a dinner at a NYC restaurant with some people who were trying to impress, and it was their call. I'm all for rich stuff, and thought it was grand, but I don't see a time when I'd get it of my own accord.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:10 PM

65 posts, read 50,233 times
Spam, it's a good breakfast meat.

And teriyaki eel.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post

I do HATE cream of wheat with a passion. The thought of it makes me nauseated.
I'm iffy on hot cereals. I grew up loathing oatmeal, but learned in adulthood that my dislike of oatmeal really only applies to rolled oats and its associated consistency and wateriness. Some hearty porridge of steel cut oats is a game-changer for me. I'll even use them to make uncooked, overnight oats. The nutty character and thicker consistency is far more to my liking than oatmeal made with rolled oats.

I don't care for cream of wheat, it just tastes very bland to me.

I LOVE.LOVE. LOVE Malt-o-Meal (though I rarely eat it). The toasted barley flavor is really the key, there.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:48 PM

239 posts, read 156,088 times
Unsweetened grapefruit juice, the sourer the better. Sometimes, I like to dilute it with water (50-50).

Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
gefilte fish and chopped liver (which is chicken liver), although I'm not a fan of calf/beef liver.

brussel sprouts as long as they are roasted or fried, not steamed or boiled.

Cream of Wheat although perhaps because I add a LOT of cinnamon to it

steamed clams

Old 06-24-2019, 01:50 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times
Prunes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink