Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:17 AM

420 posts, read 704,716 times

Advertisements

I rewash my ziplocs, not because of frugality but just that is what my mom did, so that is what I do. I won't rewash them if they held any raw meats, especially chicken. Blech!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 06:18 AM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I won't reuse saran wrap or aluminum foil generally but I will reuse a zip loc bag on occasion if it was holding dry goods.

But those aren't necessarily to save money, they are really more to save resources.
Exactly. I do a lot of things people may consider "cheap", but what I'm doing is trying to hold down my consumption of resources, not hold down my costs. Cash savings is just a positive byproduct of washing Ziploc bags.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:41 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times
hmm what I won't skimp on..

A/C-it's hot as hell in Florida..no way
Internet-I'm in school now full time so I'll need it.
I did however get rid of my DVR-I'm not a huge tv watcher and I tried it...never even watched some shows I thought I would.
I won't clip coupons-most of the coupons are crap I don't eat anyway.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh, I don't know. I'm not sure that I could come up with ten things. Here's one - I will not prostitute myself for room/board.
Congratulations, I really thought no one was going to mention this.

To which you could add: I will not put out for dinner date.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post

I won't skimp on my pet's food. She eats a home cooked diet and has the choicest cuts of meat
I won't skimp on car maintenance -- I take care of my things so they last a long time
I won't do without a car. There is no public transportation where I live and work and it's a long walk
And you call yourself frugal?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:03 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,297 times
I will not do without A/C in my home or my vehicle.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:59 AM

58 posts, read 219,413 times
- I won't sacrifice the quality of food for something cheap
- I won't get something cheap if it's meant for long term - quality is an investment - i.e. car, computer
- We won't go without internet.
- We won't go without smartphones.

We don't have cable, only internet, apple tv and netflix. It works out with a baby - we barely watch tv anyway I think there's a balance between quality of life and quantity (money). We try to keep the balance lol but indulgences happen!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:04 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
I'm a hot-natured person, so when it gets above 80 degrees outside, the air conditioner goes on. I can get by fine in the cooler months without much heat, and my power bills from October to May are low. Typically they range between $35 and $55 during those months, but from June through September it skyrockets to between $90 and $120.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,797,090 times
--I won't turn down my heat down at night in the winter - never ever ever. Nothing worse than being cold while I sleep.
--I won't buy no-brand cereal - I've tried, and they're awful. Rice Krispies are the exception.
--I won't stay at a Travelodge or any really cheap motel
--I won't wash dishes by hand

All of the above are true in normal conditions - in times of crisis, I may change my mind.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
1. Wont get roommates
2. I wont go by that "if its yellow, let it mellow" mantra.
3. If my local public transportation was better, Id consider giving up my car, but as is, even on a good day, if would take nearly 3 hours to get to my job one way by bus. Not remotely worth it.
4. I will not reuse plastic bags,tinfoil or paper towels, but to be fair, I dont use many of these any how
5. I wont give up access to the internet
6. I will not buy any used clothing articles that have a main function of absorbing bodily fluids.
7. I will not buy off brand for certain things, such as Band Aids. Some off brand things are worthless, and not remotely an equivalent substitute for the name brand.
8. I will not skimp on pet food, but to be fair, one of my cats has a health condition that requires special food, and another will only eat one certain type of food without puking.
9. When applicable, I will not get substandard electronics, especially computer and computer parts. This obviously isnt a day to day thing, but still.
10. I will never stay at a hotel that isnt at least 3 stars (since I rarely travel, this isnt a big giant deal either)

I have however done many of things others wont
- I do clip coupons,
- I have been without health/dental/vision insurance most of my adult life
- If its economically feasible, I will drive out of the way for significant savings
- I have given up heat/air for long swaths of time.
- I havent had cable in years
- I have given up nearly every expensive food for a time, which is mostly healthy items such as fresh fruit and vegetables
- I have given up eating out for the most part, and even then its something like Subway
- I have given up nearly all forms of entertainment that cost money to get to, or in themselves, most days and weekends are spent at home.
- I have and do still wash dishes by hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living