Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:03 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have a professional level job too, and there is always something above you. Do you have a boss? Does your business have an opportunity to expand? Claiming you are 'at the top' is a somewhat ignorant statement in my mind. It is the second time I have said this because you time is more valuable than saving $0.10 washing out a plastic bag. You ARE wasteful. That is my point. You are wasteful of your time, which is hopefully worth more than the value of a plastic bag.
I have a simple standard for washing plastic bags - if I can get it clean in 2 seconds or less I do it, otherwise it goes in the trash.

2 seconds is 1/1800 of an hour. At $0.10 per bag (from your post) that means the time I spend washing bags is worth $180/hour - significantly more than the $20-75/hour people earn at most professional level jobs.

Besides all that, many people prefer to spend their time saving/earning money or enriching their lives in all kinds of ways rather than focusing solely on their profession. In financial terms this is known as a "diversification."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
I have a simple standard for washing plastic bags - if I can get it clean in 2 seconds or less I do it, otherwise it goes in the trash.

2 seconds is 1/1800 of an hour. At $0.10 per bag (from your post) that means the time I spend washing bags is worth $180/hour - significantly more than the $20-75/hour people earn at most professional level jobs.

Besides all that, many people prefer to spend their time saving/earning money or enriching their lives in all kinds of ways rather than focusing solely on their profession. In financial terms this is known as a "diversification."
You honestly get a bag clean in 2 seconds? Using soap/rinsing, putting away, etc?

I seriously doubt that. I will say it again, washing plastic bags is cheap, not frugal. Wouldn't you want to spend time with friends/family than wasting time washing plastic bags and stealing toilet paper from work?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,536 times
Quote:
I have a professional level job too, and there is always something above you. Do you have a boss? Does your business have an opportunity to expand? Claiming you are 'at the top' is a somewhat ignorant statement in my mind.
I do not have a boss. I have a corner office, and a staff.

Now that I've established my "credentials" ... Lets get back on topic.

Things you won't do to save money

P.s. I don't wash the bags. If they contained dry things, slice of bread, a cookie, then they are reused.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:10 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Things Gnutella won't do

- Turn the air conditioner off during the summer
- Take shorter showers
- Let yellow toilet water "mellow"
- Leave the house completely dark when nobody's there
- Slow down on the highway
- Stay at home if my favorite football team isn't being broadcast locally
- Forfeit the internet or basic cable

Things Gnutella will do

- Turn off the lights and electronics in empty rooms
- Drive a few extra miles for gas that's more than 10 cents cheaper per gallon than the nearest gas station
- Use coupons from time to time
- Purchase from the "dollar" menu at fast-food restaurants
- Arrive at the local all-you-can-eat buffet just before 4PM to enjoy a steak dinner for the price of lunch
- Buy store brand soft drinks
- Save styrofoam cups for the refill discount at the local convenience store
- Buy clothes from the discount racks
- Pay more up front if money is saved over the long term
- Use heat sparingly during the winter
- Wash any dishes by hand that won't fit in one dishwasher load
- Eat Ramen noodles
- Eat leftovers
- Go to Tuesday movie matinees when refreshments are more than half off
- Combine errands in one trip

Of course, I'd have to adjust more in crisis mode, but this is what I normally do (or don't do).

Old 06-26-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I do not have a boss. I have a corner office, and a staff.

Now that I've established my "credentials" ... Lets get back on topic.

Things you won't do to save money

P.s. I don't wash the bags. If they contained dry things, slice of bread, a cookie, then they are reused.
You have a corner office, a staff and you re-use plastic bags? Are you completely ignoring my point about wasting time? If what you say about yourself is true, you might want to think about treating your time as a more valuable asset.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,268,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
10 Things I Just Won

What are some things you won't do to save money?
Some of mine:
- I won't clip coupons.
- I won't cut health insurance.
- I won't hypermille (drive in very unorothodoxed and potentially dangerous ways to save a few MPG.)
- I won't go out of my way to drive to a gas station that 10 cents cheaper.
- I won't cut Internet access (I rely on the Internet to keep informed of deals and to communicate. Internet access also enables me to not have to pay so much for phone service.)
- I won't share a room with someone else (I'm ok with sharing an apartment or house as long as I have my own room.)
- I won't reuse zip locks, trash bags, aluminum foil, saran wrap, etc.
- I won't buy lottery tickets (I'd rather invest sensibly.)
- I won't refuse to turn on the fan (I can understand not turning on the AC, but not turning on the fan when it's 90+ to save a few cents is overboard.)
- I won't get rid of my car and use public transportation (my old paid-off fuel efficient car is cheaper to drive than paying $1.50 every time to ride the bus.)
Good Post. Ok, 10 things (or more) I won't do to save money:
1. Use cheap toilet tissue
2. Buy no name shampoo or conditioner and end up looking like carrot top
3. Get an inexpensive haircut at Cost Cutters and have one side shorter than the other
4. Not iron my clothes to save on electricity
5. Give up my inground pool
6. Not turn up the AC when the temps hit 90 plus
7. Pump my own gas to save pennies...hate the smell of gas so have it pumped
8. Not get my nails done because it is frivilous and expensive; I'm worth it.
9. Not donate to the Animal Shelter. They need money and supplies badly.
10. Shop at unknown grocery stores and buy unknown brands..never good.
11. Buy and use no name wax paper, saran wrap and baggies..never hold.
12. Give up my hair appointment every 6 wks with a professional; worth it
13. Spend less time on my computer...enjoy my new friends on CD
14. Will continue to donate to charities Big Brothers, Easter Seals, Homeless.

Hope to see more lists on CD, this was truly a breath of fresh air!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:09 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,550,572 times
Things I won't do to save money

buy "white" bread
buy cheap and unhealthy food
give up drinking spring water - it has no chlorine or floride
buy cheap shoes - aching legs and feet can make life miserable
hire someone to mow the grass, paint the woodwork or clean my house
give up an occasional movie at at real theater
give up seeing a live play several times a year
taking daily bath or shower to save water
buy a "new car"
pay for cable or dish
Pay for a "smart" phone - I only need a cell to use to make and recieve calls

Last edited by Newdaawn; 06-26-2012 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
I have a professional level job too, and there is always something above you. Do you have a boss? Does your business have an opportunity to expand? Claiming you are 'at the top' is a somewhat ignorant statement in my mind. It is the second time I have said this because you time is more valuable than saving $0.10 washing out a plastic bag. You ARE wasteful. That is my point. You are wasteful of your time, which is hopefully worth more than the value of a plastic bag.
No, I don't have a boss, and no matter how rich I get, that will NEVER make me wasteful or any less responsible to our environment.

It's not always about the money.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No, I don't have a boss, and no matter how rich I get, that will NEVER make me wasteful or any less responsible to our environment.

It's not always about the money.
So you think washing a plastic bag is going to save the environment? If you are serious about saving the environment, I assume you don't own a car, live in an apartment, not a house, etc...

Or are you just washing a few bags so you feel better about 'doing something' without sacrificing the true luxuries?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
If you're reaping in some serious $$$ and reusing plastic bags is important to your own environmental values, then you could always hire some bums at minimum wage to wash them for you instead of taking up your valuable time. May not be a frugal use of money but a frugal use of time. Just a thought..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living