Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is exactly how I've survived as a single Mom. I always feel guilty about not clipping coupons or drivng across town to shop at cheaper stores; finding the cheapest gas prices; hiring someone to clean, etc.

But, really, I've survived in this economy by working incredibly long hours and not doing all that other stuff.

IF I cut down my working hours so that I could do my own cleaning or comparison shop, clip coupons, etc - I just don't think it would work out for me.

I'm not saying it's right ~ just that hnsq has a point and that is what has worked for me in an incredibly tough environment.

~ I do imagine that I could give up quite a few things if I lost my job! But I just don't want to unless I have to!
It is good to know I am not alone...

Your time is your most valuable resource, and it seems that most 'frugal' practices are pretty big wastes of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
I won't...
~give up a balanced diet. The "cost" of doing so over the long-term is disastrous.
~Internet. With the internet, I have long distance calling, entertainment, and academic/professional applications.
~my dog's nutrition or medical care. He deserves to be shielded from humanity's problems as much as possible.
~books. These can be acquired so cheaply or borrowed through the library, that giving up books is only a slight against oneself.
~climate control in reason. A fan in the summer, and some heat in winter. In winter, being excessively cold and in the dark will put me into a depression.

I will give up
~TV. Quite frankly, I don't see the need/want.
~excessive/new furnishing. My taste in furnishing is spartan. I despise most knick-knacks. Art is a necessity, however.
~What I call "peripheral" technology: smart phones, MP3 players, and tablets.

Last edited by Amelorn; 07-23-2012 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living