Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:20 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I see on these forums all the time that people say they're "sick of the weather" where they are and that they want to move, and others turn up their nose in disdain, saying that "there's more to life than weather".

For me, living in Ohio with fibromyalgia is a nightmare. My life practically ceases to exist beginning in October, and doesn't come back until May. I get about 5 months a year where I feel like I actually LIVE. Once the weather starts to turn and the barometric pressure starts swinging wildly, I'm miserable. I need to be somewhere that it is hot all the time, or at the very least, rarely dips below 60.

Now, I know that my situation is on the extreme end of the pendulum, but before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 8 years ago, I STILL always wanted to live in warm weather near the beach. The atmosphere of tropical living brightens my soul and it's where I feel I belong. I've always hated cold and winter weather, and hate how 6+ months out of the year, I'm stuck inside.

WHY is that not acceptable to people?

Some people will move anywhere for a new job that gives them a better daily life, in their opinion, so why is weather the red-headed stepchild when people just want that same better life? I've lived in places that I've had cruddy jobs, but the daily life was better, and I've lived in places where the job was good and the daily life sucked. Who's to say what's an "acceptable" reason to move?
It's not any better living in Florida with fibro , I would know . It's still near 90 and it's two weeks before Christmas. It's been that way since may. The heat just makes you swell and then you hurt all over. I haven't been able to do diddly squat for 9 months. The humidity will make your symptoms horrible. It's still near 90% (humidity) added to the 87 degrees = fibro misery. Believe me you won't be living at the beach in Florida.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:06 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
There's a difference between wanting to move and needing to move for health reasons.

These forums are littered with people who got sucked into moving to some area for things like sunsets, artistic communities, or some other reason that looked so good when they vacationed there. Shortly after moving, they found out that the area sucked, they couldn't get decent jobs, couldn't deal with the people, so they ran back "home" and are happy again.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
When my wife and I decided we could move, we put together a list of the qualifications we would use to evaluate cities. Weather was #1 on the list. Any city with bad weather was removed immediately / not allowed onto the list.

It worked out wonderfully. She is a RN with experience and excellent references from one of the top hospitals in the country, so she could find work anywhere. I was about to start working on my Master's degree, and I didn't care if the university had the highest ratings in the country. I figured a local degree would get me great connections so long as it was local to the area that I planned to live in. (Being local to a different state would be largely useless, clearly) So we picked a city, and I found an MBA program there that would work. Weather is DEFINITELY an acceptable reason to move. It doesn't hurt that the new city has much better traffic, lower housing prices, similar to slightly better pay, half the tax burden, and beautiful views.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:17 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Weather was the reason after 66 years of Minnesota winters the wife and I moved to the Ozarks of north Arkansas in January of 2012.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:13 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,708 times
For me weather is the only reason to move. I could never deal with a cold climate ever, EVER again.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:33 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
For me weather is the only reason to move. I could never deal with a cold climate ever, EVER again.
Yep.

I've only been in Arizona for a couple of weeks, but I can't tell you what a relief it is to not worry about the weather. No SAD. No stress about January and February to come (typically the worst months where I am from). Just a peaceful feeling and open toed shoes every day!

Weather is an excellent reason to move, and I am not alone. I have met many people who moved here for the same reason, and when I say the weather is why I am here, the response has been "Yes, that is a good reason!"

Old 12-13-2013, 01:39 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
Moving because of health reasons is perfectly acceptable. I had to do it, my body & mind could not stand brutally cold St. Louis winters.

I no longer hurt living down here & don't need to take antidepressants either!

Old 12-13-2013, 04:01 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I can remember Northern 20-somethings wanting to move to Tampa or Myrtle Beach because of the weather, and for a lot of them, we said not to be foolish because they barely had skills to hold down minimum wage jobs.

It's an entirely different matter when someone older is moving for weather that helps his/her health problems.

Oddly enough, I just moved to Des Moines which ElleTea left. I moved here for work, but I'm reaping the benefits of more sunny days. In Central Ohio, we could go for 19 days without seeing the sun. Here, I've been seeing the sun around noontime on average of every three days, with is a great improvement for me.

I'm also losing weight. I think shivering burns lots of calories. LOL!

Old 12-13-2013, 04:15 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I see on these forums all the time that people say they're "sick of the weather" where they are and that they want to move, and others turn up their nose in disdain, saying that "there's more to life than weather".

For me, living in Ohio with fibromyalgia is a nightmare. My life practically ceases to exist beginning in October, and doesn't come back until May. I get about 5 months a year where I feel like I actually LIVE. Once the weather starts to turn and the barometric pressure starts swinging wildly, I'm miserable. I need to be somewhere that it is hot all the time, or at the very least, rarely dips below 60.
If you can do it, I would say go for it. Absolute truth--I had mild fibromyalgia out of the blue for about a year living in NY--enough to be annoying and impinge on my activities. Moved to Miami and it totally disappeared in about 6 months. Cannot say medically why, but the sunny beautiful weather and increased activity being outdoors worked wonders! Also cold gray winters have a depressing affect on me. Have not had a repeat of it since I've been in Florida.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I can remember Northern 20-somethings wanting to move to Tampa or Myrtle Beach because of the weather, and for a lot of them, we said not to be foolish because they barely had skills to hold down minimum wage jobs.

It's an entirely different matter when someone older is moving for weather that helps his/her health problems.

Oddly enough, I just moved to Des Moines which ElleTea left. I moved here for work, but I'm reaping the benefits of more sunny days. In Central Ohio, we could go for 19 days without seeing the sun. Here, I've been seeing the sun around noontime on average of every three days, with is a great improvement for me.

I'm also losing weight. I think shivering burns lots of calories. LOL!
It is true that Des Moines does seem sunnier in the winter than other places in the midwest. But Phoenix is sunnier than that! Just took the dogs for a nice walk. Short sleeves and capri pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues