Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 01:44 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston left Chicago behind in diversity as well as those others cities you mentioned.
You continue to not do Houston any justice. Especially when you make untrue comments like this. Yes, Houston is very diverse. But it has not ever left Chicago behind in diversity. Chicago has more Asians, more Blacks, a more diverse White population, and a similar size Hispanic population.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You continue to not do Houston any justice. Especially when you make untrue comments like this. Yes, Houston is very diverse. But it has not ever left Chicago behind in diversity. Chicago has more Asians, more Blacks, a more diverse White population, and a similar size Hispanic population.
You Houston posters need to put your colleagues on a leash. Thy continue to make erroneous claims about Houston.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yet Houston has arguable the worst urban core experience of any of the top 10 metros. It's downtown is almost nothing but office towers. At Least Dallas has uptown and West Village which is a decent urban experience. That's why Dallas to me feels larger.
Dallas may look more urban than Houston, but the density figures are almost identical with Houston being slightly denser.

Houston's rail has higher ridership per mile.

Outside of Dallas' core the city starts to appear rural quick especially the further south of downtown you go. North Dallas is built up & East Dallas retains its old feel. West Dallas is all industrial blight for miles.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Dallas may look more urban than Houston, but the density figures are almost identical with Houston being slightly denser.

Houston's rail has higher ridership per mile.

Outside of Dallas' core the city starts to appear rural quick especially if you head south of downtown.
That's not really saying much because Houston only has one rail line while Dallas has several. There is only one rail line in Houston, so people living there either have that or nothing. When looking at it from that perspective it's not that surprising that Houston would have a higher ridership per mile. People in Dallas still have more transit options though.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
For me, what makes a city are theater seats in a concentrated area. Never mind number or type of performances. Just the seats.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:50 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
^^^^^^^
LOL! Truly, I did just now @dal @ 4:17.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You Houston posters need to put your colleagues on a leash. Thy continue to make erroneous claims about Houston.
Houston posters have already said he's not from Houston. Notice nobody else from Houston has not participated on this thread since it was brought back up from the dead except for H-Town and that poster only posted in here once.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Houston will probably be larger than Chicago in the not so distant future. Whether people want to accept the fact Houston is becoming a global city is another thing.

Houston was recently ranked as the most diverse city in America, not Chicago, NYC, or LA. That speaks volumes about the city itself.
Did you read my post, I said I accepted the fact that it COULD be larger than Chicago, but it will NEVER be more important than Chicago!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:34 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Did you read my post, I said I accepted the fact that it COULD be larger than Chicago, but it will NEVER be more important than Chicago!
Cali is right.....even if, in the year 2040, metro Houston surpasses the 13 million plus of metro Chicago (having finally taken over Harley-Davidson...err Milwaukee)......will it be the capital of a region of 75 million people?

Houston (and LA's) challenge is to become more than a Node city. Chicago is a HUB city, it will always be at the middle of 10's of millions (1oo's) of people, travelling, doing commerce.

Houston sits at the middle of what?
Texas? Wouldn't that be Dallas?
the Caribbean? Wouldn't that be Miami?
the Gulf Coast? Wouldn't that be New Orleans/Mississippi River?

If the suppressed energy technologies (cold fusion) ever see the light of day, Houston, we have a problem!

Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

If the suppressed energy technologies (cold fusion) ever see the light of day, Houston, we have a problem!
To be fair, if it's about energy, Houston will be in on it. Houston basically has their hands in everything dealing with energy. Have to give it up for that. That's the number one industry. It isn't just an oil town anymore. Houston is a leader in other energy aspects as well. I wouldn't be quick to say Dallas is the center of Texas either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.