Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 09:36 AM

213 posts, read 322,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I've always understood the Northeast as a whole to be comprised of New England and the Mid-Atlantic states.
So I guess Mid-Atlantic is the middle ground when the states change from Northern to Southern. I would include New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia.
The whole state of Virginia? Sorry, but that doesn't jive. Maybe Northern Virginia could be considered part of the Northeast, but not the remaining 3/4 of Virginia. Virginia is a decidedly Southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 09:38 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
The whole state of Virginia? Sorry, but that doesn't jive. Maybe Northern Virginia could be considered part of the Northeast, but not the remaining 3/4 of Virginia. Virginia is a decidedly Southern state.
True, I guess I meant just the DC area, so yes NOVA only.
On the other hand, all of New York should probably not be considered Mid-Atlantic, such as Buffalo and Rochester and parts of Western PA and maybe even Western MD as well.

Maybe the only states that are completely Mid-Atlantic are New Jersey and Delaware.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
True, I guess I meant just the DC area, so yes NOVA only.
On the other hand, all of New York should probably not be considered Mid-Atlantic, such as Buffalo and Rochester and parts of Western PA and maybe even Western MD as well.

Maybe the only states that are completely Mid-Atlantic are New Jersey and Delaware.
I would say Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, and Delaware are the primary Mid-Atlantic states.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Keep in mind that there really are people who think this way.

Quote:
North Carolina and Virginia are much closer culturally than North Carolina and South Carolina, and NC and VA (nowadays at least) have far more in common with states north to new england than they do states south toward the gulf. South Carolina is 100% a southern state. North Carolina never was historically, and certainly is not today.
This guy's opinion is ostensibly based on his experiences in the Research Triangle. That area today undoubtedly feels less southern. Alexandria, Virginia feels even less southern than the Research Triangle. But we quickly forget how southern Alexandria was back in 1972, and if you had asked people living in NoVa then whether it was southern, you'd probably get a "What the hell you think?" response. A whole entire movie was based around Alexandria being a southern, segregated town. The residents living there at the time probably had no idea that their city would change so radically in a mere 20 years.

Remember The Titans- Sermon Lesson- Who's Your Daddy.mov - YouTube

Charlotte, NC and Greenville, SC are southern cities today. Fast forward 40 years and people in those cities may take offense to the label. You never know.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
lmao @ NC not being southern.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:50 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
North Carolina is definitely Southern. Even Maryland has areas today that are very Southern in culture, accent, etc.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lmao @ NC not being southern.
I said the same thing. It's a minority opinion, for sure, but that minority is not as small as you think. I'm sure people would laugh out loud if you said that Alexandria, VA was anything less than southern in 1972 (the year Remember the Titans took place) when the region was chock full of southern accents. But that statement doesn't seem so ridiculous now, does it?

People have short memories and assume that things have always been the way they are currently. It's kind of like when a neighborhood gets gentrified. It's given some new, more euphonious-sounding name, it gets swanky restaurants, and then the stigma of the neighborhood completely disappears within a decade or two (as well as the memory of displaced residents).

Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Keep in mind that there really are people who think this way.

This guy's opinion is ostensibly based on his experiences in the Research Triangle. That area today undoubtedly feels less southern. Alexandria, Virginia feels even less southern than the Research Triangle. But we quickly forget how southern Alexandria was back in 1972, and if you had asked people living in NoVa then whether it was southern, you'd probably get a "What the hell you think?" response. A whole entire movie was based around Alexandria being a southern, segregated town. The residents living there at the time probably had no idea that their city would change so radically in a mere 20 years.

Remember The Titans- Sermon Lesson- Who's Your Daddy.mov - YouTube

Charlotte, NC and Greenville, SC are southern cities today. Fast forward 40 years and people in those cities may take offense to the label. You never know.
Oh, please....those cities are Southern forever. Quit trying to make your case of Maryland being a Southern state from a modern standpoint. Greenville, SC is the Deep South. If you're suggesting the Deep South or North Carolina or even Virginia will take offense to being Southern, you're mistaken. Those states are Southern to the core even today.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
North Carolina is definitely Southern. Even Maryland has areas today that are very Southern in culture, accent, etc.
Agreed. The southern parts of the state below D.C. are very Southern.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I've always understood the Northeast as a whole to be comprised of New England and the Mid-Atlantic states.
Here's the difference:

Ask somebody from Boston if they're in the Northeast. The answer will be "yes" without equivocation.

Ask somebody from NYC if they're in the Northeast. The answer will be "yes" without equivocation.

Ask somebody from Philly if they're in the Northeast. The answer will be "yes" without equivocation.

Ask somebody from DC or Baltimore if they're in the Northeast. The answer will be "neither northern nor southern" or "Mid-Atlantic."

The logical conclusion from those answers cannot be that all of them are in the Northeast. At best, you could say that there's overlap between the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. But that's not the same thing as saying Northeast = Mid-Atlantic (especially when the people living in DC/Baltimore don't even claim to be a part of the NE).

It's similar to the way you can be from the Caribbean without being West Indian. Most people assume they are one in the same, but they're not. There's just significant overlap between the two. Dominicans are from the Caribbean, but are not "West Indian." Jamaicans are also from the Caribbean and they are West Indian. It's a similar concept. Let me know if a Venn diagram is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.