Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't say there weren't intra-city differences. I said it didn't make any sense to provide nothing but examples of people who aren't even from Philadelphia. Why use examples of the suburbs to represent the city of Philadelphia? And the guy in those videos didn't even sound like someone from Philadelphia. Read the comments in the videos.
If you are referencing the videos I posted I think he sounds like someone from the far NE or lower Bucks based on my esperience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
If you are referencing the videos I posted I think he sounds like someone from the far NE or lower Bucks based on my esperience
The last guy in particular sounds like someone straight out of the Northeast. And that's because, I suppose, he is straight out of the Northeast.

I prefer these types of videos that catch people in their natural element rather than ones where people are trying to do a certain accent.

Mystery Loud Bang Shakes Northeast Philadelphia [May 28 2011] - YouTube

Old 09-19-2013, 01:27 PM

213 posts, read 323,259 times
Quote:
50 Cent has even more a southern twang. But guys like 50 are the exception in Queens, not the rule. And you don't hear guys in Philly and NYC making Down South rap either.

This one is even funnier. LOL. Whole Lat!!!

Comp: Whole Lat - YouTube

The big difference is that (1) nobody up North would ever make a song like this and (2) nobody up North would ever listen to a song like this. We're more into Sheek Louch, Memphis Bleek, Just Blaze, Swizz Beats, DJ Clue, Kay Slay, Cassidy, Styles P, Mobb Deep, Cam'ron, DMX, Foxy Brown, Eve, N.O.R.E., Fat Joe, Beanie Sigel, Hov, Nas, Ruff Ryders, Jadakiss, etc. Y'all are more into Rick Ross and southern rap (and Go-Go and Baltimore Club Music) than you are into that stuff.
Baltimore Club music isn't Southern. Please just stop. You've also gone through a bi-polar shift...you've gone from claiming Baltimore and D.C. are border to claiming they are full blown Southern. Either learn to be consistent or shut it. The fact you change your consistency shows how incredibly full of crap you are.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Philadelphia and New York City are actually part of what makes up the Mid-Atlantic Region. But when most people think of Mid-Atlantic cities Washington DC. and Baltimore come to mind. Most people seem to forget that New York City and Philadelphia are also Mid-Atlantic cites too, just like Baltimore and Washington DC are. Why do most people think of them as not being part of this region.
NYC is definitely part of the Northeast. Philadelphia might be borderline Mid-Atlantic.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
NYC is definitely part of the Northeast. Philadelphia might be borderline Mid-Atlantic.

The Mid Atlantic is part of the Northeast

And will be honest, I dont think I have ever heard anybody say Philly is not part of the Northeast - DC, even Baltimore but never Philly

I am pretty sure if you people in Philly if they lived in the NE, 99+% would say yes

Old 09-19-2013, 04:47 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
50 Cent has even more a southern twang. But guys like 50 are the exception in Queens, not the rule. And you don't hear guys in Philly and NYC making Down South rap either.

This one is even funnier. LOL. Whole Lat!!!

Comp: Whole Lat - YouTube

The big difference is that (1) nobody up North would ever make a song like this and (2) nobody up North would ever listen to a song like this. We're more into Sheek Louch, Memphis Bleek, Just Blaze, Swizz Beats, DJ Clue, Kay Slay, Cassidy, Styles P, Mobb Deep, Cam'ron, DMX, Foxy Brown, Eve, N.O.R.E., Fat Joe, Beanie Sigel, Hov, Nas, Ruff Ryders, Jadakiss, etc. Y'all are more into Rick Ross and southern rap (and Go-Go and Baltimore Club Music) than you are into that stuff.
Anyone that follows Hip-Hop knows that cities like Baltimore is not considered part of Southern Hip-Hop. Nice attempt at trying to distort the truth.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Anyone that follows Hip-Hop knows that cities like Baltimore is not considered part of Southern Hip-Hop. Nice attempt at trying to distort the truth.
Actually, it's more like anybody who follows Hip Hop knows Baltimore really doesn't do Hip Hop at all. But when they do, they put out stuff that sounds like ATL trap music. Or St. Louis rap.

Nelly - Country Grammar (Hot...) - YouTube

Not too different from this.

B. Rich - Whoa Now - YouTube

Old 09-19-2013, 05:37 PM

This is "Up North" hip hop. Baltimore and DC have never made anything close to resembling this. It's too hard and grimy.

Amil;Beanie Sigel;Memphis Bleek;Jay-Z - 4 Da Fam - YouTube

Cassidy - I'm a Hustla (HD / Dirty) - YouTube

Old 09-19-2013, 05:42 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Actually, it's more like anybody who follows Hip Hop knows Baltimore really doesn't do Hip Hop at all. But when they do, they put out stuff that sounds like ATL trap music. Or St. Louis rap.

Nelly - Country Grammar (Hot...) - YouTube

Not too different from this.

B. Rich - Whoa Now - YouTube
B. Rich was largely a copycat and just following what's hot at the time. Lets face it, he wasn't that creative. By the way St. Louis isn't considered part of Southern Hip-Hop. Just to clear up any speculations you could have.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:45 PM

My favorite Brooklyn/Philly collaboration. Who were the Baltimore rappers on Roc-a-fella, btw? You may be too young to remember the ROC, though. Just look it up on Wiki.

Jay-z, Memphis Bleek, and Freeway - 1-900 Hustler - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.