Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 10:24 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
No. Not unless we do away with geographical boundaries completely. Wealth, diversity and politics alone do not define geographical boundaries. If they did, CA and HI would be mid-Atlantic.
But Maryland was geographically southern in 1947 (as was Northern Virginia). Nobody then would say otherwise. Between 1947 and 2013, the state boundaries have not changed. The only thing that's changed is the psychological boundary, not the physical one.

So how far down can this psychological boundary go? There are already many people who say that the Research Triangle will be where NoVA is now in 20 years. Will Raleigh be the cut off point? Or can the psychological boundary drift even farther south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 10:29 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But Maryland was geographically southern in 1947 (as was Northern Virginia). Nobody then would say otherwise. Between 1947 and 2013, the state boundaries have not changed. The only thing that's changed is the psychological boundary, not the physical one.

So how far down can this psychological boundary go? There are already many people who say that the Research Triangle will be where NoVA is now in 20 years. Will Raleigh be the cut off point? Or can the psychological boundary drift even farther south?
The difference in NoVa and RT is that NoVa directly borders DC and the rest of the Northeast going north.

Everywhere around RT is completely southern for 100s of miles.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 AM

213 posts, read 323,014 times
Quote:
Here's the difference:

Ask somebody from Boston if they're in the Northeast. The answer will be "yes" without equivocation.

Ask somebody from NYC if they're in the Northeast. The answer will be "yes" without equivocation.

Ask somebody from Philly if they're in the Northeast. The answer will be "yes" without equivocation.

Ask somebody from DC or Baltimore if they're in the Northeast. The answer will be "neither northern nor southern" or "Mid-Atlantic."

The logical conclusion from those answers cannot be that all of them are in the Northeast. At best, you could say that there's overlap between the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. But that's not the same thing as saying Northeast = Mid-Atlantic (especially when the people living in DC/Baltimore don't even claim to be a part of the NE).

It's similar to the way you can be from the Caribbean without being West Indian. Most people assume they are one in the same, but they're not. There's just significant overlap between the two. Dominicans are from the Caribbean, but are not "West Indian." Jamaicans are also from the Caribbean and they are West Indian. It's a similar concept. Let me know if a Venn diagram is required.
Based on one city-data.com thread. According to a study done by the University of North Carolina, approximately 55 percent of Maryland identifies as not being Southern. Proof positive that most Marylanders do not consider themselves to be Southerners. Therefore, all the Northeast is extensive. I'm glad you're ignoring me, I really am. Allows me to backstab you without consequences. Keep pronouncing your b/s. You're a poor salesman.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The difference in NoVa and RT is that NoVa directly borders DC and the rest of the Northeast going north.

Everywhere around RT is completely southern for 100s of miles.
But they'll be able to say the same thing in 20-30 years time. Richmond and Hampton Roads will be even more Democratic in three decades. Then people living in NC will be able to say, "But we're culturally intertwined with a Northeastern state."

And it's not like the Northeast is solidy blue all across. There's a lot of red between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:

How was it geographically Southern in 1947? Besides the Mason-Dixon line, you have no proof. Shut it.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
Based on one city-data.com thread. According to a study done by the University of North Carolina, approximately 55 percent of Maryland identifies as not being Southern.
Nope. Based on living in DC.

Sharon Kelly, Harry Thomas, Oxon Run Park, Turkey Thicket, Backyard, Helen Nannie Burroughs, Sweet Mango, Tuxedo Road, Kenilworth Avenue, Good Hope Road, 36th and Minnesota, etc., etc. are things that mean nothing to you, I'm sure.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
But they'll be able to say the same thing in 20-30 years time. Richmond and Hampton Roads will be even more Democratic in three decades. Then people living in NC will be able to say, "But we're culturally intertwined with a Northeastern state."

And it's not like the Northeast is solidy blue all across. There's a lot of red between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
That's not going to happen. North Carolina and Virginia are Northeastern. Quit being so ignorant...these places are solidly Southern now and will still be solidly Southern years from now. If the case you paint out is true, NC and VA would've been Northeastern by now. North Carolina will NEVER be tied to the Northeast. Just like New York will never be tied to the South. The South doesn't change its natural boundaries. Kentucky will never be part of the Midwest either. Why bother. You're going to speak regardless of what I say. Go ahead, spew your b.s. and see if I care. Get out of New York City and go back to Baja California.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Nope. Based on living in DC.

Sharon Kelly, Harry Thomas, Oxon Run Park, Turkey Thicket, Backyard, Helen Nannie Burroughs, Sweet Mango, Tuxedo Road, Kenilworth Avenue, Good Hope Road, 36th and Minnesota, etc., etc. are things that mean nothing to you, I'm sure.
Oh all those things mean something to me, Mr. I think I know everything about nlst. Based on living in D.C. hahahaha. How does a street make a place Southern? I have family that lives in D.C. They're not Southern. And that University of North Carolina study kills anything you throw forward. So shut up and get lost before I embarrass you.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
North Carolina and Virginia are Northeastern.
Agreed. Just like Boston

Quote:
North Carolina will NEVER be tied to the Northeast.
North Carolina is already tied to the Northeast. Duke, UNC and big pharma have filled the area up with Yankee culture. It's beginning to vote like VA now (they both voted for Obama in 2008). And you can even take Megabus between the RT and NYC.

Like Maryland, North Carolina provided regiments to the Union. It only seceded because it was sandwiched between VA and SC.

And like NoVA, the southern accent is fading away. Give it another 20 years and it will be going, going gone.

Goodbye grits. Hello Bagels!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Just like Boston

North Carolina is already tied to the Northeast. Duke, UNC and big pharma have filled the area up with Yankee culture. It's beginning to vote like VA now (they both voted for Obama in 2008). And you can even take Megabus between the RT and NYC.

Like Maryland, North Carolina provided regiments to the Union. It only seceded because it was sandwiched between VA and SC.

And like NoVA, the southern accent is fading away. Give it another 20 years and it will be going, going gone.

Goodbye grits. Hello Bagels!
You're delusional. Southern culture is still high and prominant. "Yankee" immigration as you put it is not enough to change the fact these states are demographically, culturally, and linguistically Southern. You have no proof to your claims and all you do is make things up to suit yourself. You're nuts and full of it. The South is not going away. Hopefully you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.