Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 07:23 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Once you get into the Appalachians of Virginia, it's pretty southern. Don't troll; you're not making people change their minds. You're just making yourself look incredible.
You don't know a thing so pipe down. YOU are the troll. It's a fact that the South doesn't start culturally or linguistically until you are below DC. NOVA isn't the South.

Last edited by U146; 05-13-2016 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 09:37 PM

89 posts, read 120,530 times
I know for a FACT that the Hampton Roads area in Virginia IS without a doubt, mid-Atlantic! If not, then why would so many businesses down here start off with the name Mid-Atlantic _____? You obviously don't see that in the more western parts of Virginia, so yes not ALL of Virginia is mid-Atlantic. Heck I don't even consider Richmond as mid Atlantic but some do. Virginia Beach/ Norfolk is more mid Atlantic than some places in Maryland or Pennsylvania, please understand that! But you cannot deprive us people of Hampton Roads from being Mid-Atlantic because people down here hear that term and use that term in our daily conversation. In school and/or work we are taught that this is the MidAtlantic, so you CD posters obviously have your facts mixed up. You guys can doubt it all day but I can list numerous places down here with the name MidAtlantic in it, half of you guys can't! Now, I'm going about my business, I'm done trolling.😅

Old 05-13-2016, 10:19 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Your opinion isn't better than mine so quit pretending like it is. VA and WV are culturally and linguistically Southern and different from MD, DE, PA, and NJ. Fact. You cannot refute it because it is a FACT. My opinion, unlike your's, is based on FACTS. You have no facts. It's not an opinion that WV and VA are culturally and linguistically different from most of MD, DE, PA, and NJ, it's a FACT. You are all OPINIONS and no substance. Period. You are also mistaken about linguistics. The vast majority of Maryland and Delaware are in a different accent family than Virginia, AS PROVEN BY LINGUISTICS. I suggest you provide sources to back up your facts. Until then you have no right to speak.
I never said my opinion was better. I'm saying that you can't treat your opinion as fact or elevate it above anyone else's - at best, it's selective fact because as others present you with valid counterpoints supported by evidence, you ignore them. Don't be foolish. In your own admission, linguistics is not the only means to define regions. For example, from a cultural perspective, cuisine is also a big one. Did you know there's no such thing as a Maryland-born crab? All the Maryland Blue Crabs are born in Virginia waters and make their way up the Chesapeake. Ever heard of Mambo or Kimkim Sauce? Did you know Maryland and Virginia dairy farmers have operated a cooperative that dates back to the 1920s? Virginia and Maryland have similar overall demos, sport some of the densest census tracts in the Southeast and are both very historic. There is a spread of Mid-Atlantic architecture that spans from HR and Richmond through DC, Baltimore and on up to Philadelphia. We've already talked about the trend toward inclusion of MD, VA and WV in the Mid-Atlantic region even in light of their southern histories. I mean, NASA has even placed the "Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport" in Virginia. The vast majority of gov't agencies with the exception of the Census Bureau include MD, VA and WV in the Mid-Atlantic region. You could say the Census Bureau is actually fairly conservative in adhering to the traditional concept of "Middle"-Atlantic states (the lower Northeast).

Virginia refers to itself as both a gateway to the South and the Mid-Atlantic: About Virginia - Virginia Is For Lovers
Quote:
Gateway to the South

Located midway between New York and Florida, Virginia is the gateway to the South. It is also sometimes classified in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Richmond VA >Port of Richmond

Quote:
About the Port

The Port of Richmond is Central Virginia's domestic and international multi-modal freight and distribution gateway on the James River serving waterborne, rail and truck shippers throughout the mid-Atlantic states.
Home | Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance | Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance

Quote:
WHAT IS HAMPTON ROADS?
Hampton Roads, Virginia is a vibrant, Mid-Atlantic region with a skilled workforce, world-class port facilities and diverse economy. Our engaging lifestyle appeals to businesses, individuals and families from around the globe. Ready to learn more?
Again the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic are not mutually exclusive, at least from a Virginia standpoint. Perhaps that's just our concept. If you want to argue with NASA, the Virginia Board of Tourism, and dozens of businesses, organizations and federal agencies, have at it! You can explain to them that because the old-fashioned and increasingly difficult-to-find Tidewater accent is not like a MD, PA or NY accent, that the state is actually not what or where they think it is.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:08 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
I grew up in the DC area and always thought the mid-atlantic region was the eastern half of VA (VA Beach to Nova) + Maryland minus the western mountain region + Delaware + Philadelphia + NJ.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romedot View Post
I know for a FACT that the Hampton Roads area in Virginia IS without a doubt, mid-Atlantic! If not, then why would so many businesses down here start off with the name Mid-Atlantic _____? You obviously don't see that in the more western parts of Virginia, so yes not ALL of Virginia is mid-Atlantic. Heck I don't even consider Richmond as mid Atlantic but some do. Virginia Beach/ Norfolk is more mid Atlantic than some places in Maryland or Pennsylvania, please understand that! But you cannot deprive us people of Hampton Roads from being Mid-Atlantic because people down here hear that term and use that term in our daily conversation. In school and/or work we are taught that this is the MidAtlantic, so you CD posters obviously have your facts mixed up. You guys can doubt it all day but I can list numerous places down here with the name MidAtlantic in it, half of you guys can't! Now, I'm going about my business, I'm done trolling.😅
So Louisville has a lot of businesses that start with "Midwest" does that mean it isn't Southern? Hampton Roads is Southern culturally, linguistically, and demographically as well as historically. It is not the Mid Atlantic.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I grew up in the DC area and always thought the mid-atlantic region was the eastern half of VA (VA Beach to Nova) + Maryland minus the western mountain region + Delaware + Philadelphia + NJ.
Only NOVA is the Mid Atlantic. The rest of Virginia is Southern.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:44 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
If you go by demographics, DC isn't much different from other Southern cities especially historically. What separates DC from cities like Philadelphia, New York, and Boston is that they have a far more diverse European population. DC didn't have this at the high level like those cities.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:47 AM

89 posts, read 120,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
So Louisville has a lot of businesses that start with "Midwest" does that mean it isn't Southern? Hampton Roads is Southern culturally, linguistically, and demographically as well as historically. It is not the Mid Atlantic.
Until you have facts to support your opinion, then I'm not convinced. Yes HR is southern at its best, but by no means does that mean it isn't midatlantic. Heck on my way to work this morning, I passed by the MidAtlantic Maritime Academy; a federal government building in Norfolk, VA. So pretty much it's your word against theirs? 🤔 The definition of Mid-Atlantic states that it's situated or occurring in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Hampton Roads is smack dab in the middle, Hello!
Its clear that the "Arch City" education system didn't teach you that, so allow me.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you go by demographics, DC isn't much different from other Southern cities especially historically. What separates DC from cities like Philadelphia, New York, and Boston is that they have a far more diverse European population. DC didn't have this at the high level like those cities.
Demographics are one factor. Culture and linguistics point DC towards the North though.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
I never said my opinion was better. I'm saying that you can't treat your opinion as fact or elevate it above anyone else's - at best, it's selective fact because as others present you with valid counterpoints supported by evidence, you ignore them. Don't be foolish. In your own admission, linguistics is not the only means to define regions. For example, from a cultural perspective, cuisine is also a big one. Did you know there's no such thing as a Maryland-born crab? All the Maryland Blue Crabs are born in Virginia waters and make their way up the Chesapeake. Ever heard of Mambo or Kimkim Sauce? Did you know Maryland and Virginia dairy farmers have operated a cooperative that dates back to the 1920s? Virginia and Maryland have similar overall demos, sport some of the densest census tracts in the Southeast and are both very historic. There is a spread of Mid-Atlantic architecture that spans from HR and Richmond through DC, Baltimore and on up to Philadelphia. We've already talked about the trend toward inclusion of MD, VA and WV in the Mid-Atlantic region even in light of their southern histories. I mean, NASA has even placed the "Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport" in Virginia. The vast majority of gov't agencies with the exception of the Census Bureau include MD, VA and WV in the Mid-Atlantic region. You could say the Census Bureau is actually fairly conservative in adhering to the traditional concept of "Middle"-Atlantic states (the lower Northeast).

Virginia refers to itself as both a gateway to the South and the Mid-Atlantic: About Virginia - Virginia Is For Lovers

Richmond VA >Port of Richmond

Home | Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance | Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance

Again the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic are not mutually exclusive, at least from a Virginia standpoint. Perhaps that's just our concept. If you want to argue with NASA, the Virginia Board of Tourism, and dozens of businesses, organizations and federal agencies, have at it! You can explain to them that because the old-fashioned and increasingly difficult-to-find Tidewater accent is not like a MD, PA or NY accent, that the state is actually not what or where they think it is.
Once again you leave out cultural differences, which separate the vast majority of VA from MD, DE, PA, and NJ. It's not just linguistics but also culture that makes Virginia Southern, not Mid-Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.