Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
According to many sources, the PNW (especially Portland) has the highest concentration of skinheads than any other parts of the country. I can't link on my phone to other sources, but a quick Google search will show you it. Keep in mind I'm only going from my own experience from visiting there and by no means was I saying that it was the normal (I apologize if it sounded like I was). However I drove through a certain part of Portland Oregon and I saw shops and bars with swastika flags above, and some skin heads at the library downtown. They called themselves the "Volksfront". If you think I'm making this up than that's your business, I'm not here to convince you, just giving my experiences from when I was in Oregon.

I'm sure there are interracial couples in the PNW, I never said there wasn't. I said just not very many as compared to the south where I see them all the time. It was just kind of strange to me not seeing as diverse of a population as where I'm from. Same goes for the church comment.

Yes Eugene is very liberal. My brother goes to the University of Oregon and is now basically a brainwashed Marxist. But I don't care about the local politics of a place when I visit. I just try to enjoy the place I'm at and it's people.

You sound like a typical right wing Southerner. I have to laugh at your notion of the South as this racial utopia. Give me a break. The South is hands down the most racist part of this country and you know it. You were pissed off that Oregon is much more liberal than your right wing religious South. Guess what, the South is the odd man out on this. Come to the mid Atlantic and you will find attitudes very similar to Oregon. We don't want religion shoved in our faces, nor extreme right wing politics. The fact that you called your brother a "Marxist" says it all.

Funny that I had a totally diff experience than you. As a Philadelphian visiting Portland I felt very at home. I went out to bars, coffee shops, etc. and met people and had a great time. The people I met were on the same page politically as the vast majority of people in my region. Your region is the crazy place that the rest of the country shakes our head at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 09:29 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except the PNW has more interracial couples than most of the south, except for Florida. Maybe less white-black couples than the south, if only because there are far fewer black people for obvious historical reasons.

2010 Census Shows Interracial and Interethnic Married Couples Grew by 28 Percent over Decade - 2010 Census - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

And the south is more religious than much of the country. If you were from the north of much of the country, the difference wouldn't feel obvious. Eugene is laid back even for PNW standards.
Exactly. I'm not sure, but I thought people from the South knew that the rest of us just aren't into religion as much as they are.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
To me, yes, the PNW sometimes feels geographically, politically, and culturally isolated. The "center" or headquarters of the US is the mid-Atlantic region, and we are stuffed into a corner on the opposite coast. But what a beautiful corner it is.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You sound like a typical right wing Southerner. I have to laugh at your notion of the South as this racial utopia. Give me a break. The South is hands down the most racist part of this country and you know it.
The NE and Chicago probably are the most racist. If the south was so racist, why are so many black people moving there from the NE and midwest? Chicago is probably the most racist city, just look at the racial distribution of the neighborhoods.

Quote:
You were pissed off that Oregon is much more liberal than your right wing religious South.
Oregon isn't that liberal. Fascist/progressivism and liberalism are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,825 times
Quote:
You sound like a typical right wing Southerner. I have to laugh at your notion of the South as this racial utopia. Give me a break. The South is hands down the most racist part of this country and you know it. You were pissed off that Oregon is much more liberal than your right wing religious South. Guess what, the South is the odd man out on this. Come to the mid Atlantic and you will find attitudes very similar to Oregon. We don't want religion shoved in our faces, nor extreme right wing politics. The fact that you called your brother a "Marxist" says it all.

Funny that I had a totally diff experience than you. As a Philadelphian visiting Portland I felt very at home. I sent t out to bars, coffee shops, etc. and met people and had a great time. The people I met were on the same page politically as the vast majority of people in my region. Your region is the crazy place that the rest of the country shakes our head at.
Lol look at the stereotyping. The south is not any more racists than any other part of the country, there may be some people who are racist but not the whole. Have you ever been down here? I see a lot more interracial mingling than any other part of the country.

No I was not mad that Oregon is liberal. Nice jumping to conclusions. I simply found the Christian community out there to be kind of sissy, acting all afraid to be Christians. And the people getting mad because of a cross on a hill? Lol totally stupid (and kind of fascist).

And yes my brother is a brainwashed Marxist now. His professor did it to him. He thinks Fidelity Castro is a humanitarian and that religion should be banned and capitalism is a "poison".

Totally brainwashed commie.

The south is the best region in the country and quite frankly the only region that doesn't have its head shoved up its butt. We are the true Americans who know what this country was founded on and pass it down from generation to generation.

If the south is so bad than why do people from all over the country keep moving here in droves? Because it's better and yall know it.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:17 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
You sound like a typical right wing Southerner. I have to laugh at your notion of the South as this racial utopia. Give me a break. The South is hands down the most racist part of this country and you know it. You were pissed off that Oregon is much more liberal than your right wing religious South.
Yawn. My father is black man that's from Brooklyn and he says he saw more racism in NYC than he's ever seen in Texas. He's been here for almost 30 years now. The rest of my family on his side has said the same thing. They can't believe how nice everybody is down here. And more and more parts of the family are making the move down.

I'm not a right-winger by a long shot (never voted republican a day in my life) and can't stand the crap a lot of the conservative nutjobs spew. The south does have its problems, but so does the rest of the country. I'm sick of these self-righteous northerners and west coasters beating their chest like they're so perfect. Take your ridiculous stereotypes and generalizations somewhere else.

And so what if a region is more religious? I love how these super "liberals" are always talking about people's rights, freedoms, and live and let live, but when someone is religious they openly mock and ridicule them. You just mocked the religious people in an entire region that you've probably never spent any significant time in.

Imma just leave this here.

James Baldwin Take This Hammer Part 1 - YouTube

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 08-15-2013 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Yawn. My father is black man that's from Brooklyn and he says he saw more racism in NYC than he's ever seen in Texas. He's been here for almost 30 years now. The rest of my family on his side has said the same thing. They can't believe how nice everybody is down here.
Not surprised.

Canarsie Real Estate Office Is Firebombed Again - NYTimes.com

A Brooklyn real estate office, which had sold homes to black and Hispanic families in the mostly white section of Canarsie, was firebombed early this morning for the third time in three months, the police said.

Racism in Bensonhurst

The incident sparked outrage among blacks who came to the neighborhood to protest, met with chants of "Useless, Useless" (a play on the name "Yusuf") and racial epithets from residents. One person spat in the face of Hawkins’ father, Moses Stewart.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:05 PM

603 posts, read 877,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Palace = ghost town these days. Seattle is by far a better NBA city than Detroit is a basketball city.

That's nonsense since they long averaged higher than that. The reason they can't go much higher is due to the surrounding neighborhood and its capacity to handle large events. Hopefully the future light rail extension will allow the UW to add seating capacity in the future.

Then get out that cave. There are tons of sports crazed people here.

Look Andy, you can call me all the names you want and it's not going to change my opinion (which is based on facts). I have traveled all over the country extensively and nobody thinks of Seattle as a sports town. There's little national media coverage, and little-to-no fan support when teams aren't winning. That's a fact. I wanted the Sonics to return, but the mayor of Sacramento had a point when he brought up attendance the past couple decades. The Sonics just weren't that strong. If you ask people here to name 5 NHL players they'll give you a blank stare. Plenty of people didn't even know which two teams were playing in the Stanley Cup Finals this past June. As I said before, even columnists for local Seattle newspapers have said the same thing. Many of my buddies at the University of Washington also admit this is not a sports town, but they still love their teams. The sports culture out here is just not very strong. Several publications including Forbes have named Seattle "America's worst sports town" for several years now. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Look at all the other benefits of this city though. It has a great economy, beautiful landscape, educated populace, and is just a couple hours from one of the best cities in the world; Vancouver, BC. These are much more important than sports culture, so chill out.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
Look Andy, you can call me all the names you want and it's not going to change my opinion (which is based on facts). I have traveled all over the country extensively and nobody thinks of Seattle as a sports town.
Most Americans are ignorant about Seattle. The facts show Seattle is a great sports town.

Quote:
I wanted the Sonics to return, but the mayor of Sacramento had a point when he brought up attendance the past couple decades. The Sonics just weren't that strong.
That's garbage. Seattle is a better NBA city than Sac. Compare the last 4 years of Sac. attendance with the "Thieving Okies" era in Seattle. In the last couple of decades the Sonics sold out a majority of their games and were above 90% capacity every single season until the the last one when the team was gone for sure. Every single Sonics game was sold out from the inception of Key Arena until the NBA lockout, and that was with the NBA's 2nd highest average ticket price.

The Sonics set numerous NBA attendance records and Seattle led the NBA in total attendance multiple seasons. Their sellout streak in the 90's was one of the longest in the NBA.

Quote:
The sports culture out here is just not very strong.
Nonsense. It is a great sports culture known for America's loudest fans.

Quote:
Several publications including Forbes have named Seattle "America's worst sports town" for several years now. Look it up if you don't believe me.
The Forbes thing is for on the field performance. A few years ago with the Sonics being stolen away, the Seahawks on a post Super Bowl lull, the Mariners sucking, and the Ty Willingham, it was easily the worst sports on the field/court. It just further proves how great a sports city Seattle is with the fan support.

Quote:
These are much more important than sports culture, so chill out.
Stop slandering the great sports fans of Seattle with your lies and I'll "chill out."

Old 08-16-2013, 07:31 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Yes, I fell that the PNW is an isolated corner of the country. After Hawaii, Alaska and the Northern Rockies/Dakotas it's the most isolated region. You have to go out of your way to get there and most people are only after two cities, Portland and Seattle. If you're not going to one of those two places the odds of you ever venturing into that region are slim.

I agree with posters at the beginning of this thread that PNWeners seem to have more of an aloof attitude. I grew up in the Midwest and have spent the last 10 years in Montana. I can't say I have anything in common with my neighbors to the west. I'm not saying it's a bad place but I can't see myself ever feeling at home there. It is beautiful though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.