Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To me, experiencing snow and all the things related to it is almost a staple of what it means to be American. Who doesn't dream of a white Christmas? You would rather have a warm and sunny Christmas? Yuck.

If someone hates snow, then they'd be better off living in an actual tropical country.
I do like the idea of a nostalgic white Christmas. It's having a long winter dragging into February and March (sometimes April in some US cities) that totally sucks. A late winter tropical vacation is usually a good remedy, though I remember leaving the beach in Florida on the last day of my vacation in March having to go back to the brown dead looking trees, muddy, slushy, and the potential of another snowstorm in New England was one very melancholy moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
ONe or two snowfalls a year is enough. And no I don't really dream of a white Christmas. I know its funny when they play that song on the radio in Louisiana but I'm sure it was written by someone up north. I don't see how experiencing snow is part of being American as someone said. Many of the states seen as true Americana, including South Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma rarely see that much snow. In North Carolina and Tennessee only the mountainous areas gets high amounts of snow fall. Even Maryland and Virginia have limited snow most of the winters except for the mountain portions. Its also the warm Sunbelt that's increasing population year after year.

I do not enjoy winter sports but like doing outdoors things in the summer like hiking, jogging outdoors, swimming outdoors, and boating. I also enjoy sitting outside reading books and having picnics. Its miserable in the winter when I am cooped up indoors. Anything below 45 degrees I will not be able to comfortably take a walk or jog in my neighborhood, and that's when I have to park as close to the store as possible wheras in the summer I'm not caught up on parking spots and don't finally walking a little extra good workout anyway. In the winter I can only go to gyms and indoor pools while when its warm I can swim outdoors and jog and take walks through my neighborhood. I do not ski nor snowboard. I do not ride snowmobiles.

I can't handle places where you get freezing temperatures all the way into April and where snow falls all the way into April, and where the first freeze happens in early October. I need at least 9 months of the year where I can be outdoors comfortably. Speaking of which I must add anywhere in Alaska to the list.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:35 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I really don't understand people that seriously HATE cold weather. I understand if it's not your favourite but honestly, y'all can't find nothing to do? Nothing enjoyable? Is a white landscape decorated with beautiful snow and ice that HORRIBLE? No ice skating? Skiing? Snowboarding? Making snowmen? Winter photography? Winter walks? Y'all can't do none of that?

I'm moving from Florida to Minnesota. I don't hate the heat, I hate it when it overstays it's WELCOME! What I want is seasonal variation. And to be able to ice skate in a park
Spot on!! Rep!

Applause Crowd Cheering sound effect - YouTube

Old 11-10-2013, 11:48 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To me, experiencing snow and all the things related to it is almost a staple of what it means to be American. Who doesn't dream of a white Christmas? You would rather have a warm and sunny Christmas? Yuck.

If someone hates snow, then they'd be better off living in an actual tropical country.
Exactly. The very thought of it just feels weird. One day I want to book at a hotel up in the NYC around Christmas week (Before X-mas Day) and go Christmas shopping on 5th Avenue, SoHo, and 57th Street and I hope that one of those days, it will snow.....Enchanting the NYC with the beauty of winter, as well as turning Central Park into a winter wonderland of sorts, which would make for a perfect romantic activity with me and my lovely girlfriend (I'm an Autumn person, she's a Winter person) And yes, the amount of times that I have watched the Home Alone 2: Lost in New York movie to this very day has inspired me to make such a move!

Even though Winter is my least favorite season (I don't hate/dislike Winter, I just prefer Fall, Spring, and Summer in that order more), I can definitely see the beauty of Winter and most of us here on the East Coast and those out in the Midwest and the Rockies know how to have fun in the snow

Dashing through the snow.....Yep, it's that time of year again!

Old 11-10-2013, 01:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Hey, all I can say is that last year in northeast Texas, we had a white Christmas. One day. Two inches. That's about all I want all year long!

Old 11-10-2013, 02:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
I really don't understand people that seriously HATE cold weather. I understand if it's not your favourite but honestly, y'all can't find nothing to do? Nothing enjoyable? Is a white landscape decorated with beautiful snow and ice that HORRIBLE? No ice skating? Skiing? Snowboarding? Making snowmen? Winter photography? Winter walks? Y'all can't do none of that?
For me it makes life pretty hard, it is nice coming home to a nice heated house and drink some hot chocolate. Snow is BEAUTIFUL when it first falls but after awhile the snow gets all dirty and slushy.

Skiing and showboarding is fun but expensive, Winter photography and walks? in subzero temperatures? no thank you.

Quote:
I'm moving from Florida to Minnesota. I don't hate the heat, I hate it when it overstays it's WELCOME! What I want is seasonal variation. And to be able to ice skate in a park
Buy a hot tub, thats the only thing i miss.... laying back in the hot tub while the snow is falling

Old 11-10-2013, 02:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I love nippy weather in the wintertime, but I do NOT love snow and ice. I mean, I like it as a fluke, sort of like we have it here in Texas - it's unusual, unique, and exciting - and we only have to deal with it once a year or so. That's perfect for me. The rest of "winter" (late November thru February) is cold enough for coats and boots and scarves, but the days are usually bright and chilly and "snappy" - not wet, dark, icy and dreary. I love the crisp blue-skied days and cold, starry nights of a Texas winter - I can enjoy our fireplace and our hot tub but I don't have to shovel any snow or dig my car out of a snowbank.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Phoenix, Arizona. Hot, polluted, sprawling, it's like living in LA without the ocean or the glamour.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,271 times
Quote:

just as you feel that heat "overstays it's welcome", there are those of us that feel the same way about cold weather and snow. It just boils down to preferences. Some prefer cold and snow, some heat.....

Old 11-10-2013, 05:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:

I despise cold weather. Every second of it. Its not that Im bored with it, I absolutely HATE being cold. I live in Dallas and this is the absolute threshold for me as far as cold weather is concerned. I dont think I could deal with a city colder than this long term.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.