Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Never say never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:10 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Cleveland is not the upper Midwest.
And yet you say it includes Chicago. I'm from Ohio, my mom is actually from Euclid. I still consider Cleveland Midwestern. I don't know what the cutoff for "upper" is but Cleveland is most certainly Midwestern despite some wishing it were part of the Atlantic region.

Either way, this is your list and if you're happy in Cleveland, great! I have nothing against Cleveland but I love the Midwest.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
New York City

Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Never say never.
Touche. When my husband first sent me a job posting in Petersburg, AK my kneejerk reaction was 'hell no'. Only one week later and we're starting to like the idea. We want to eventually get back east to raise our kids but a 2-4 year stop on a remote Alaskan island won't kill us (One of the highest concentrations of Brown Bears might though ). It may be a fun adventure.

I stand by my answer of Texas though. I don't care how much money is involved.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:30 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
It's still pretty vanilla.
Hardly. Have you been here? Lots of character and originality.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Hardly. Have you been here? Lots of character and originality.
Yes, I was there a few weeks ago. My impression is that its trying hard to revive itself and kudos for that. It reminded me a lot of a smaller Detroit. I think when you say character I hear grit and yes Cleveland has a lot of that.

I guess I was speaking of the demographics. Its one of the least ethnically diverse places Ive been. The only exception is really Shaker Heights.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Yes, I was there a few weeks ago. My impression is that its trying hard to revive itself and kudos for that. It reminded me a lot of a smaller Detroit. I think when you say character I hear grit and yes Cleveland has a lot of that.

I guess I was speaking of the demographics. Its one of the least ethnically diverse places Ive been. The only exception is really Shaker Heights.
What do you mean? We have a lot of diverse suburbs. Practically all of the inner ring Eastern suburbs are diverse in terms of a mixing of black and white. The West Side has a lot of hispanics, especially Puerto Ricans. There are a lot of Russian immigrants living here as well. There are many Jewish people here. There are so many European ethnicities represented here, it's crazy; and these groups hold on to their heritage. Every week in the summer there is a festival for a different European ethnicity. There are also Slovenian Sausage shops scattered in certain neighborhoods, a Little Italy, a Slavic Village neighborhood, Polish shops and restaurants, a Hungarian community. One walk or drive through our Cultural Gardens will tell you of the diversity of ethnicities represented here.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:52 PM

132 posts, read 545,830 times
Any sprawling, vapid, tasteless city. I'm thinking Phoenix (my least favorite city by far), Las Vegas, OKC, Orlando, and Jacksonville.

I've never been Dallas, Houston, Denver, Miami, SLC, or Sacramento, so I'm not sure how well they'd stack up. And it would be unfair to judge without visiting.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Never say never.
Agreed.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Any sprawling, vapid, tasteless city.
LOL. A city is an inanimate object and cannot exhibit qualities of vapidity or tastelessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.