Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I've often wondered if Canadians get upset when people mistake them for Americans, because I'm sure that happens all the time.
Not at all and it doesn't happen as much as you think!.. I'm Canadian and have travelled quite extensively around the world - Central/South America, Europe, Africa, Asia you name it and sometimes i'm mistaken for American, British, Australian, Canadian - heck even Russian, German and Eastern European etc.. It all depends on what part of the world i'm in.. Most people however, simply ask where are you from without making assumptions about nationality as many are used to seeing foreigners from many different places.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-02-2015 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 10:55 PM

769 posts, read 1,006,782 times
Why do so many Canadians have such an ingrained and seemingly constant obsession with the US?!? It gets really old (and really creepy) pretty fast. I've lived in 6 countries on 3 continents, and have traveled extensively around the world. In my experience, no other country on earth has such an unusual obsession with another country as Canada does with the US. I used to laugh when I lived in Paris and especially London, when the Brits (or whoever) would ask a Canadian where in the US they were from. You could virtually see their heads explode.

Maybe try focusing on yourselves and try to create more of your own national identity instead of 'Canada: we're not America'. After all, it is very much a one-sided obsession. The overwhelming majority of Americans-while very fond of Canada- don't really give a rat's *** about it.

After all, the state of California is more important than their entire country

Old 07-02-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Why do so many Canadians have such an ingrained and seemingly constant obsession with the US?!? It gets really old (and really creepy) pretty fast. I've lived in 6 countries on 3 continents, and have traveled extensively around the world. In my experience, no other country on earth has such an unusual obsession with another country as Canada does with the US. I used to laugh when I lived in Paris and especially London, when the Brits (or whoever) would ask a Canadian where in the US they were from. You could virtually see their heads explode.

Maybe try focusing on yourselves and try to create more of your own national identity instead of 'Canada: we're not America'. After all, it is very much a one-sided obsession. The overwhelming majority of Americans-while very fond of Canada- don't really give a rat's *** about it.

Talk about an over the top and juvenile post...

Seriously though, why are you even posting in this thread? Doesn't make any sense.. If what you say is true on a personal level you wouldn't have even posted and just ignored this thread. The obsession with the obsession is possibly kind of creepy as well - no?

Last edited by fusion2; 07-02-2015 at 11:49 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 04:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:

If you go over many of the posts and topics in the Canada section you'll soon realize its not Canadians talking about America but Americans talking about Canada,usually in a rude ,disrespectful and condescending manner.Not sure why Americans feel the need to do this but i suspect it has something to do with the bully syndrome whereby those in the big all powerful USofA get some pleasure out of deriding the much smaller population of Canada. Your post CityLover9 being a perfect example.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:47 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,171 times
Quote:

Nobody that I know is obsessed with the States. Why this topic is constantly brought up, mainly by Americans, is beyond me. One sided obsession? Sorry pal, but you're the one that sounds obsessed! Now go troll somewhere else please.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:56 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
^ True about media and culture and so forth (there are many legit reasons for this), but it's a fact that Canadians in general are quite obsessed with the US while in general people in the US rarely even think about it (which makes Canadians even more angry - see posts all over C-D etc).

Old 07-03-2015, 12:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Nobody that I know is obsessed with the States. Why this topic is constantly brought up, mainly by Americans, is beyond me. One sided obsession? Sorry pal, but you're the one that sounds obsessed! Now go troll somewhere else please.
I suspect because Americans are most likely the unfortunate ones that have to listen to the Canadians who are obsessing over America... trust me we don't just make this sh-t up, there are reasons why the "Why are Canadians so obsessed with America?" question will pop up in our heads.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I suspect because Americans are most likely the unfortunate ones that have to listen to the Canadians who are obsessing over America... trust me we don't just make this sh-t up, there are reasons why the "Why are Canadians so obsessed with America?" question will pop up in our heads.

I'm not seeing this obsession from Canadians over America. if its such a common occurrence it should be easy to put forth examples of this phenomenon. just to give us some idea of what you are on about.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm not seeing this obsession from Canadians over America. if its such a common occurrence it should be easy to put forth examples of this phenomenon. just to give us some idea of what you are on about.
I agree and what one has to take into account is that online forums attract a certain niche group that likes to discuss a wide range of international topics. I talk about the U.S in these forums but as a world traveller, I also talk about many many other nations. I would say, particularly in my 30's I've become a whole lot more curious about peoples, cultures and nations the world over.. I have no particular obsession with the U.S other than I like the country and on many many visits I find the people very friendly and accommodating and its a beautiful country - particularly the U.S Southwest imo... I'm not sure what is wrong with that.. I certainly find most Americans in real life nicer than some on these forums who talk down to Canadians or say we are unhealthily obsessed with the U.S.. Truth is - in day to day life the topic of the U.S doesn't really come up much in Canada. Like most people, we are busy with the day to day, family, work, friends and rarely do we talk about the U.S other than an occasional trip to Vegas or Florida or a noteworthy news event like Gay marriage in the U.S..

This may be boring and burst a lot of individuals obsession bubble but its a true story..

One thing I will say is that Canadian media is certainly more 'focused' on U.S issues than U.S media is on Canadian issues but i'd say focused is a better word than obsessed. Otherwise, Canada as a people obsessed with the U.S - its a rather tired notion that can only be dispelled by some in here if they actually travel to Canada and get to understand the country and its people better. Otherwise they are getting their information from rather limited online sources where many many trolls lurk.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:31 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
I'd say Canadians like the USA more then they like Canada. Just look at all the Canadian license plates at Costco in Bellingham, Washington. They got lots of Costco's in BC but still the Canadians flock across the border in the USA. If they liked Canada all that much it seems like they'd like to keep their consumer dollars their and support their own country.

Every Canadian I've spoken to in northern BC and the Yukon say they wish Canadian gun laws were more like the US. And they complain about Canadian taxes and the health care system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.