Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times

Advertisements

Overall, this thread is becoming kind of a joke. Yes, New England is known for vibrant fall colors. But so are a number of other regions, which apparently surprises many people on City-Data. Anyone driving on (or trying to book a hotel along) the Blue Ridge Parkway- from Great Smoky Mountains to Shenandoah, or a ton of other places around the country that have peak fall foliage pricing- knows that vibrant color isn't limited to one particular region, at all. And some places have more of one color than another, and the colors last much longer in some places than others.

I have to remember that there are a ton of people on C-D that don't actually visit- or have any firsthand knowledge of- many of the places they argue about.

Last edited by bartonizer; 08-15-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:37 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
When America was discussed, not sought out, they only cared for select parts. You think I specifically asked?

This thread was started because I've read a few threads about this topic and wondered what was so great about New England's fall foliage because the rest of the Northeast is pretty great for it too.

Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire. Two of which are famous for granite. One of which for the coast. All of which for hiking and fall foliage. I enjoy all three very much. All I am doing is raising awareness for other areas. There are a lot of trends on this website when you snoop around enough and then you raise a question as to why.

I do think other than those factors, most people don't know much about those states. Maine is picked on sometimes for being in the middle of nowhere. One night out several years ago I remember my friend met this group of guys that were acting like pricks at the bar around here and he asked where they were from, they said "Maine!". My friend asked "yeah? what do you do up in Maine, **** caribou?"
How can a state that is within a 5 hour drive of about 30 million people, be picked on for being in the middle of nowhere?

And I do not believe that your friend met Mainers who were being pricks at a bar in New York. Mainers just do not act that way...period!

Old 08-27-2016, 08:39 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Well, different maps say different things:
That's true. I had I posted that map because I generally agreed with it and because it was more or less in accord with the other image results. My only issue with it is that it doesn't show that there are a lot of evergreens reducing fall color along coastal SC/GA and the gulf coast.

The map you posted seems rather deviant from the norm, actually. I know that where I live mid-October is not peak foliage time at all. Late October is one thing (there isn't much difference between Oct 30 and Nov 3), but two weeks makes a big difference!

Old 09-02-2016, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 602 times
Default because people are idiots and I like it that way

Even in our great state there are millions of people who think New York is paved from Long Island all the way to the Canadian border. I will stack up fall in Sackets Harbor against Freeport maine any day of the week. Lets be honest here for natural beauty would you choose connecticut over the finger lakes? I kind of like it when I am driving to Old Forge in uninterrupted pristine peace and quiet knowing that there are leaf peepers stuck in traffic in New Hampshire breathing the exhaust of fellow leaf peepers So my advice is SHHHHHHHH

Old 09-02-2016, 06:46 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
I think of Northern MN, WI, MI.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:55 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
The mix of tree species (deciduous vs.evergreen) varies greatly from one location to another, and weather conditions, particularly the amount of rainfall before the leaves turn, also has a lot of effect regarding the outcome from year to year. I'm somewhat suprised that this phenomenon / process hasn't gotten tht much attention from the weather media as yet.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:33 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The mix of tree species (deciduous vs.evergreen) varies greatly from one location to another, and weather conditions, particularly the amount of rainfall before the leaves turn, also has a lot of effect regarding the outcome from year to year. I'm somewhat suprised that this phenomenon / process hasn't gotten tht much attention from the weather media as yet.
I remember some pretty sad foliage years in northern PA after a drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.