Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times

Advertisements

Are there seriously people who believe Delaware is a southern state? I mean, I thought that state was just a giant suburb of Philly, am I right? Only joking, but still. The Potomac is the updated Mason-Dixon line, as far as I'm concerned. I've met folks from Maryland towns like Waldorf and Salisbury and they don't even sound southern. Get up to Baltimore and you're clearly out of the South.

KY and WV haven't been impacted by tons of transplants, and they're nowhere near the BosWash corridor. People in those two states tend to come across as more southern in a stereotypical way, meaning they're more conservative, religious, etc. Also, accents are twangy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 10:52 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,275 times
Maryland has been discussed enough on this forum but the elephant in this room is Delaware. Unlike MD, DE never had a claim of being Southern. Middle Colony that has always been joined at PA's hip....Wilmington is Philadelphia's "Nova." I understand that DE may have parts that mirror MD (as it should) but these states have drastically different backgrounds. MD, WV, and KY I understand why the Census lists them as Southern but I genuinely don't understand DE being called Southern.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:53 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Maryland has been discussed enough on this forum but the elephant in this room is Delaware. Unlike MD, DE never had a claim of being Southern. Middle Colony that has always been joined at PA's hip....Wilmington is Philadelphia's "Nova." I understand that DE may have parts that mirror MD (as it should) but these states have drastically different backgrounds. MD, WV, and KY I understand why the Census lists them as Southern but I genuinely don't understand DE being called Southern.
I think from a Census perspective, Delaware is considered Southern due to its geography and status as a border state. Culturally, it's most definitely Northern because 77% of its population lives within the Philadelphia CSA and media market (New Castle County, Kent County). But geographically, 47% of the state is Sussex County, which is largely rural and agricultural (and part of the Eastern Shore's metropolitan area). Kent County is the transitional zone between the two, but it's also largely rural and agricultural, save for Dover and its immediate suburbs. And Delaware's history as a border state was largely driven by the very few slaves left in Sussex County. If Sussex County (and to a lesser extent, Kent County) wasn't so geographically large and jutted so far south (Delaware is only ~40 miles from Virginia at their closest points ), I don't think the Census would consider Delaware as Southern.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:08 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Maryland and Delaware are basically in the same neighborhood, though. You won't find southern culture in Baltimore or Wilmington.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:42 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,698,843 times
People, it's obvious Most folks agree Maryland/Baltimore, while having southern traits are in modern day terms Mid atlantic/northeastern except for kodeblue. Delaware? Really... is that even worth a conversation? Shluld we start discussing if its on a coast?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,091,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Maryland and Delaware are basically in the same neighborhood, though. You won't find southern culture in Baltimore or Wilmington.
Not everyone defines regions by culture. Some people prefer using history or more concrete demographic data, such as ethnicity, race, or religion. Not saying it is better, but I think both are valid ways to define the South.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Ethnicity and religion seem like terrible ways to describe the south. Houston would be on the west coast and NO would be on the east coast.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:15 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Ethnicity and religion seem like terrible ways to describe the south. Houston would be on the west coast and NO would be on the east coast.
I have to agree with this.

Religion in particular. Most of southern Louisiana would be considered northern based on dominant religion. That's just silly.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
To clarify, it holds some value in the discussion, but shouldn't be the end all.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,091,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I was talking about regions in general, not the South specifically. For instance, "China Proper" is a historic region that was defined by the majority Han Chinese population, as opposed to many other parts of what formed Chin at times. The "Islamic World" is one region defined largely by religious demographics

For the South, I just prefer to do so based on history, considering the Slave States, and Oklahoma, to be the South. Since I don't see there being an actual demographic trait holding together the entire South yet no parts of bordering states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.