Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 01:09 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
To me, most of the tech guys prefer the coasts, but again, people will go anywhere for money.
I disagree. If people would "move anywhere for money" then you would have cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis, and similar cities with explosive populations due to their ultra cheap housing but such is not the case. These are highly educated workers that can get a job anywhere they like and yet they are not going to these cities because they don't offer the quality of life they are looking for. Shrinking and stagnant cities are just that not due to a lack of opportunities but the simple fact that people don't want to move there and those raised there don't want to stay. How can you convince Amazon that they could get their needed workers to move there when they don't offer the quality of life to even keep the people they've got?

Old 11-07-2017, 04:03 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I disagree. If people would "move anywhere for money" then you would have cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis, and similar cities with explosive populations due to their ultra cheap housing but such is not the case.
Those cities don't have explosive population growth because they don't have robust job markets. It doesn't matter what your rent or mortgage is if you don't have a job to pay it.

People will move to cities with good paying jobs, which is why places like the DC metro, Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston and Raleigh have grown so much. A lot of these cities were nothing to write home about from an urbanism perspective, but an influx of younger professionals in these cities has created demand for more walkable urbanism. Atlanta today is not the Atlanta of 20 years ago and I'm sure the same is probably true for Austin, Dallas, Charlotte, etc.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:23 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
I disagree. If people would "move anywhere for money" then you would have cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis, and similar cities with explosive populations due to their ultra cheap housing but such is not the case. These are highly educated workers that can get a job anywhere they like and yet they are not going to these cities because they don't offer the quality of life they are looking for. Shrinking and stagnant cities are just that not due to a lack of opportunities but the simple fact that people don't want to move there and those raised there don't want to stay. How can you convince Amazon that they could get their needed workers to move there when they don't offer the quality of life to even keep the people they've got?
First off....
- you knocking of American cities IS GETTING OLD.
- corporate America CHOOSES relocation sights on PROFIT MARGIN EDGE GAINS and Sunbelt US states offer them MOST in this era. So Northern Americans have been relocating there.
- it also helps a benefit of much milder winters are there too.

But its not all is ..... NO investment in the Northern US. Just less and a few cites gain most and generally more OFFICE and higher-end jobs over blue-collar and manufacturing. They are more likely to head to less corporate and Personal tax US Sunbelt states.

You want to push Toronto.... fine. But every post reeks of demeaning US cities vs Canadian ones (especially Northern US ones. We surely know your goal and aim and reasons ( crime, racial issues ..... but you can't say winters LOL.

But nobody here is going to convince Amazon. We are not choosing. But cities :
- put their bid in
- have worthy sights to offer
- may have made tax incentives NOT made public by city's and there state's including those you lessen.
- this steering of Americans more southward ..... is tax incentive based.... but may not last forever.

Different Nations and differing issues including racial.

As you know .... even the state of NJ gave a incentive package to relocate to Newark (surely you would demean it) region..... but it is also very close proximity to NYC. Other cities made their pitches (most not fully made public in details) and OMG a city like Chicago has PITCHED no less then 10 LOCATIONS. One is suburban, most in or next to its core. We also know TEXAS is TOPS for giving Corporate America WELFARE in incentives to locate there regularly. It reasons.... they will do NO LESS PITCHED TO AMAZON TOO.

We can debate between
- individual cities sights being offered
- if they MEET the claimed by Amazon criteria
- can offer both HIGHER-END In-city accommodations to Amazon EXECUTIVES to Suburban ones. To live and access to where they might work there.
- if transit availability is reasonable too.

Again a BEAST of a Corporation as Amazon has become. Would SURELY HAVE MANY WILLING TO RELOCATE TO EVEN THE CITIES YOU LESSEN.... If Amazon were choose one of them. EVEN WITH A REAL WINTER.

But NO REAL CHOICE DO WE MAKE in this thread for Amazon. There is really just 2 or 3 Canadian cities possible and ALL are near the US border. Their quality of life still comes with a price and real winters.

The Amazon SHORT LIST IS NEXT. But keeping this demeaning US Northern cities and reading between the lines is ENOUGH already. What if every post on a Canadian city had a lessening on COLDER AND LONGER WINTERS that others kept lessening them by .... you would surely say enough of that rhetoric too.

Stagnant and steady city populations still have their BOOMING SECTIONS and Suburban regions. Always NORTHERN US CITIES YOU keep citing as if nothing to offer but negatives .....

Old 11-07-2017, 09:03 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times
This is not a demeaning of Northern US cities. Actually in terms of personal taste I would rather live in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, or Philly over almost all the Sunbelt cities any day of the week. The Northern cities have more history, architecture, culture, character, and gritty urbanity while most of the Southern ones are just a series of malls connected by freeways encircling downtowns that close at 5 o' clock while the churches run 24/7.

Considering your previous comment, does this surprise you that I prefer Northern cities? If I had to move to the US I wouldn't even consider any areas of The South or even West except possibly Denver.

As for your comment about businesses only being interested in where they can make th most money and nothing else then the competition is over..........the winner is Montreal. Cheap housing, medical that will save $600,000,000 a YEAR, wages that will be 30% cheaper, the lowest Hydro rates in NA, $7/DAY government daycare, corporate tax rate 40% below the US average, and post-secondary education tuitions of less than $2000/year in some of the world's highest rated universities.

Of course it isn't always just about the money or this conversation would be over and Montreal would already be building for Amazon.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:56 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
This is not a demeaning of Northern US cities. Actually in terms of personal taste I would rather live in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, or Philly over almost all the Sunbelt cities any day of the week. The Northern cities have more history, architecture, culture, character, and gritty urbanity while most of the Southern ones are just a series of malls connected by freeways encircling downtowns that close at 5 o' clock while the churches run 24/7.

Considering your previous comment, does this surprise you that I prefer Northern cities? If I had to move to the US I wouldn't even consider any areas of The South or even West except possibly Denver.

As for your comment about businesses only being interested in where they can make th most money and nothing else then the competition is over..........the winner is Montreal. Cheap housing, medical that will save $600,000,000 a YEAR, wages that will be 30% cheaper, the lowest Hydro rates in NA, $7/DAY government daycare, corporate tax rate 40% below the US average, and post-secondary education tuitions of less than $2000/year in some of the world's highest rated universities.

Of course it isn't always just about the money or this conversation would be over and Montreal would already be building for Amazon.
Don't forget the 22% tax credit businesses get and how we're a leader in tech now + N.A top city for millennials. And yes thank god for that cheap tuition, $1600 a semester at a top 20 school, while a crap community college in the U.S is $4K+.... yikes. And according to KPMG we're the most competitive city in N.A for big businesses (tax wise).

Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:

Montréal WAS Canada's Première city TILL the Separatist movement of Québec in the 70s. Then Brink's trucks at its culmination high-tailed Canada's banking to Toronto. Along with other of Canada's financial sector and more.

It probably preserved though more of French Canada and Montréal's French flavor intact today. Finally, Montréal has come into its own again. Though Toronto remains the Première city now and in the future.

But still your post kept using the same rhetoric as if ..... Northern US cities cannot gain Amazon vs. Canadian ones as .... way more worthy and less of the US problems? Though Amazon IS A American Company. It just was ongoing in post that really seemed overkill.

So now you like these cities..... but only over OTHER US cities. In our fast growing Sunbelt states? Makes it much better now. Even with their crime, racial segregation degrees and make-up, population stagnation, etc ..... you still like them better then a Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Austin? But they are not Toronto and Montréal for a WIN? But we still do not decide for Amazon

"Ce sera vite fini" . Amazon will choose not us in the end that is only months away.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Interesting article about how socially draconian legislatures in Texas and Georgia might put a damper on their chances for HQ2, particularly in light of the fact that Bezos was just given the HRC National Equality Award last month. I’m not sure how much he wants to set up camp in Trump country, as liberal as certain cities within His realm may be.

http://fox2now.com/2017/11/07/the-co...q2-contenders/

Old 11-10-2017, 02:57 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Interesting article about how socially draconian legislatures in Texas and Georgia might put a damper on their chances for HQ2, particularly in light of the fact that Bezos was just given the HRC National Equality Award last month. I’m not sure how much he wants to set up camp in Trump country, as liberal as certain cities within His realm may be.

The controversy that could hold back some Amazon HQ2 contenders | FOX2now.com
Bingo. It would seem that the red politics of GA and TX would be one of those intangibles that any one with
any social conscience at Amazon might have a hard time with. Atlanta and Austin cannot just be islands in a sea of backwardness.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:59 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Bingo. It would seem that the red politics of GA and TX would be one of those intangibles that any one with
any social conscience at Amazon might have a hard time with. Atlanta and Austin cannot just be islands in a sea of backwardness.
Blueberry in tomato soup.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:02 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
Atlanta is the fav right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.