Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 06:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
So when is the decision actually gonna be made? Tired of speculation.
2018, but the company is being vague on any exact date.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:48 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
People keep bringing up the local talent pool, but that doesn't seem terribly relevant. Or at least it hasn't been to Amazon before. If this is about paralleling the types of jobs they have at HQ1 (my assumption), they want to hire the world's best. Even a huge city like Chicago is only 0.13% of the world.

I also think that any location with regulatory hurdles or political uncertainties is unlikely to get far. My bet would be on a place, probably an urban district, where 8 msf is already planned for.

Interesting you say this when something interesting happened with the Atlanta office of planning on Monday. An "Impact Fee estimate request" was filed today with some information regarding the infamous "Gulch" site in downtown Atlanta, a huge vast sea of parking lots and nothingness.

Quote:
2,100 Units of Multi-Family
1,000,000 sq ft of Commercial
9,350,000 sq ft of Office
1,500 Hotel Rooms
https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

You can click the link above, click the "More Details" dropdown menu, then the "Application information" table to see the numbers to confirm it. The fees due are 9.8M!

Most likely this doesn't have anything to do with Amazon as we've been hearing rumours and small, vague information about this area for a couple of years now, but regardless of whatever it is, it's HUGE.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:19 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
I bet a number of cities have people furiously working on proposals like that!

Props if your city has a relatively streamlined process and promises can be made quickly enough for the next proposal phase. Mine wouldn't have a chance.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:01 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
The city proposals are important and non-important. Amazon is looking at all proposals, but the company already has it nailed down. Could some of these city proposals change their mind? Of course. But not likely.

The genius of this process is to pit city against city. What a great place for this thread!

So, we can see how this will play out. Amazon already has perhaps three finalists, but they are trying to see who can beat these proposals. I still believe the decision has already been made, but they are keeping the competition open. And that is genius. I can't remember a company with so much leverage in recent times.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:16 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Amazon just announced they are Putting a 4th Distribution Hub in the Macon Metro Area, about 80 miles South of Atlanta in the Center of the State of Georgia! Could this be a hint, hint sign of things to come and that Amazon's Bezos may be leaning more Atlanta and Georgia's way for deeper roots and for H2Q Headquarters?? Makes you wonder

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...in-macon-80974

Old 11-01-2017, 07:06 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Amazon just announced they are Putting a 4th Distribution Hub in the Macon Metro Area, about 80 miles South of Atlanta in the Center of the State of Georgia! Could this be a hint, hint sign of things to come and that Amazon's Bezos may be leaning more Atlanta and Georgia's way for deeper roots and for H2Q Headquarters?? Makes you wonder

Amazon announced it's adding “hundreds of new jobs” in Delaware a few months back (the location is closer to Philly btw, than Macon is to Atlanta): Amazon adding 'hundreds' of new jobs in Delaware. The article goes on: “Amazon has added about 500 new warehouse jobs in the state each of the last three years. The company declined to provide the exact number of positions being created as part of the current hiring spree.”

I wouldn’t read to much into either of these announcements, other than demand for Amazon delivery is growing by leaps and bounds.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:07 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Interesting you say this when something interesting happened with the Atlanta office of planning on Monday. An "Impact Fee estimate request" was filed today with some information regarding the infamous "Gulch" site in downtown Atlanta, a huge vast sea of parking lots and nothingness.

https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

You can click the link above, click the "More Details" dropdown menu, then the "Application information" table to see the numbers to confirm it. The fees due are 9.8M!

Most likely this doesn't have anything to do with Amazon as we've been hearing rumours and small, vague information about this area for a couple of years now, but regardless of whatever it is, it's HUGE.
I wouldn't be so sure.

The financing for a project of this magnitude (the proposed commercial space is about 40% of Midtown's!) would never go forward unless the developers had a commitment from a very large tenant. There is a relatively short list of companies that would require that kind of space, and Amazon would certainly be one of them. Plus, I've said before that it's highly unlikely that all Amazon is doing at this point is perusing proposals in a conference room. I believe they're already out there, moving aggressively but in a covert manner.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:27 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post

Not really. Amazon builds a new distribution center practically every other week these days.

Here are some other Amazon distribution centers that have opened or been announced since the HQ2 announcement:

Amazon adds more than 1K jobs at new Phoenix-area distribution center
Amazon hired 900 workers in about a month to ramp up new Aurora fulfillment center
Amazon: Fulfillment center to open in 2018, hiring for all positions | SILive.com
Amazon bringing 1,000 more jobs to Ohio with new fulfillment center | fox8.com
Amazon planning Memphis distribution center | WREG.com
New Amazon Fulfillment Center In Sacramento Up And Running - capradio.org
Amazon beginning operations this weekend in Livonia
Amazon: Shelby Twp. fulfillment center to create 1,000 new jobs
Amazon confirms plans for Euclid fulfillment center, replacing another dead mall (photos) | cleveland.com
Amazon to open North Portland fulfillment center, hire 1,000 | OregonLive.com

And this isn't even an exhaustive listing; I just didn't feel like going past page 5 of my Google search.

Atlanta is still a top contender for landing HQ2 I think, but the Macon fulfillment center doesn't really hint at anything.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:09 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Clever/funny: Philly launches ad blitz - in Seattle - to woo Amazon HQ2

Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I actually like that. Hopefully it will encourage more tourism to Philly from the PNW as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.