Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times

Advertisements

I love it! even the mop drying on the fire escape.

Well I don't love the blank grey wall but see the owner has worked to buffer it with plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I recently came across this picture that conveys what I consider to be an aesthetically pleasing example of grittiness.

It is the entrance area to a restaurant somewhere in lower Manhattan. The Bowery, maybe?

<edit: It is Freeman's Restaurant, Lower East Side off of Rivington: Bowery/Chrystie & Stanton/Rivington. Across the street from Loreley Beer Garden.>

Source:https://i.redd.it/m4jh0z85foxz.jpg
Thank you! I’ve been here before. Found this place by accident while walking around aimlessly with a friend day-drinking and forgot where it was exactly.
It’s at the end of a graffiti-filled alley and it’s beautiful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/en321/...-4czo2U-73nMfC

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnh...-7o22Uz-goYpcb

https://www.flickr.com/photos/map-kr...-65SDsx-374X4E

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lizaco...-J9bf5K-8fPwEb

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ravikj...-5dvbHt-82ZQ2C

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kellyb...-51p7BP-5dvbHt

Old 11-13-2017, 10:36 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Some pretty cool Atlanta grit exists at The Goat Farm Arts Center, a collection of old industrial buildings in West Midtown.

VISIT the Goat Farm | the FEED Atlanta

Old 11-14-2017, 02:30 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I recently came across this picture that conveys what I consider to be an aesthetically pleasing example of grittiness.

It is the entrance area to a restaurant somewhere in lower Manhattan. The Bowery, maybe?

<edit: It is Freeman's Restaurant, Lower East Side off of Rivington: Bowery/Chrystie & Stanton/Rivington. Across the street from Loreley Beer Garden.>

Source:https://i.redd.it/m4jh0z85foxz.jpg
That is so cool to me! I would love to live in that area, but I can't afford it.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:29 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I love it! even the mop drying on the fire escape.

Well I don't love the blank grey wall but see the owner has worked to buffer it with plants.
Nothing gives the feeling of grittiness like fire escapes.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:49 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
So true! Especially if there's man dressed in boxers and a tank top, sitting quietly on the metal steps, smoking a cigarette. People on the street below simply tune him out. That's gotta be as gritty as it gets.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 11-14-2017 at 08:58 AM..

Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That is so cool to me! I would love to live in that area, but I can't afford it.
Agreed, and I wonder how many of those people hating a few pages back would actually be able to afford it too.

Quote:
YES! I love fire escapes. I’ve always wanted to have one, but I never have. Those things are basically balconies for people that can’t afford balconies (which are usually crazy money in NYC). So many fun times were had on my friends old fire escape in LES that one Summer. Great place to have a smoke sesh, a few beers, and just hang out and watch all the people go by on the street.

Someday I hope I can have one....

Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Agreed, and I wonder how many of those people hating a few pages back would actually be able to afford it too.

YES! I love fire escapes. I’ve always wanted to have one, but I never have. Those things are basically balconies for people that can’t afford balconies (which are usually crazy money in NYC). So many fun times were had on my friends old fire escape in LES that one Summer. Great place to have a smoke sesh, a few beers, and just hang out and watch all the people go by on the street.

Someday I hope I can have one....
Fire escapes and five story walkups. True grit.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:52 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Fire escapes and five story walkups. True grit.
Have you ever watched that movie? I grew up with true grit. My mother used to wash the window sills and porches. Coal town.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Its hard to describe the reason some people may like a gritty neighborhood. Perhaps it is because a gritty neighborhood may seem more "real" in a way or the local people may seem nicer and have less of a superiority complex that sometimes comes with wealth and education.
That's part of it.

Another part is a feeling of "old" and "classic" that is waning each and every year all over the US. Gentrification can be done anywhere. It is not difficult to have a Starbucks, Panda Express, Banana Republic and an Athleta store be added to your street and survive. Corporate stores are anywhere and everywhere. What is difficult? Having a bodega, local deli, boutique shoe store, and a sausage shop, thrive for 50-60 years. So when they do, there is a feeling of wonderment and respect. Where people still have accents but make no mistake know your language and can talk politics, sports, and food with anyone.

Those kinds of places only exist in long-tenured locales where things have gotten older and "grittier". Gritty areas also sometimes go bad. Economy can tank and force the entrepreneurs to flee the area, leaving a bad element to swoop in and do things some people in gritty areas do. So "grit" by itself doesn't define good or bad, but it brings the possibility of authentic people, food, conversation, and history that you can't get from gleaming glass buildings, pristine public spaces, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.