Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After California, which state has the best 1-2 punch in public u's
AZ: UA, ASU 0 0%
CO: CU, Colo Mines 3 3.33%
TX: UT, A&M 12 13.33%
IN: IU, Pur 8 8.89%
MI: U-M, MSU 23 25.56%
OH: OSU, Miami 0 0%
FL: UF, FSU 6 6.67%
GA: UGA, GT 16 17.78%
NC: UNC, NCSU 12 13.33%
VA: UVA, W&M 27 30.00%
PA: PSU, Pitt 11 12.22%
NY: Bing, Sny Bro 4 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times

Advertisements

I never said Georgia Tech is 'better'. I linked to enrollment numbers. I was making a point about the US News rankings in general. The largest engineering programs don't match up with the top ranked US News universities. I think this shows that trying to rank colleges without considering the major doesn't make sense.

If I was allowed to modify US News rankings, I would give colleges that have engineering, architecture, agricultural majors, etc more weight. I think offering more STEM and practical majors at the undergrad level should be reflected in rankings. You would see all the land grant universities move up in the rankings. I can't see how a small college like William and Mary is better than the larger and more comprehensive Virginia Tech, Clemson, Iowa State, Oregon State, Auburn, etc.

I don't see any reason to believe G Tech is superior to Michigan Tech and other engineering schools though, at least at the undergraduate level. It does graduate more engineers but I think engineering employers are aware of Michigan Tech. I've worked with several MT grads.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-22-2018 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 09:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Uh, brother--

University of Michigan is not far better than the Georgia Institute of Technology.

So...

Georgia Institute of Technology = University of Michigan

University of Georgia > Michigan State University

The State of Georgia wins.
NO.

Georgia tech does not = Michigan. Michigan is a globally respected university across nearly every field and a top 25 global university. Georgia Tech is certainly an upper level engineering school, and good overall, but it ain't Michigan.

Start over.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Ok, it is cool if you think that. I didn't attend any of these colleges so it wouldn't matter to me if you were knocking them.

I was only wondering if you can elaborate. What is your basis for that assertion? I assume it is the US News rankings but you have not mentioned them.

Can you give some specific reasons for why Georgia and G Tech are better schools?

I tend to view all large 'flagship' and land grant universities as being similar. G Tech is pretty unique with it being over 70 percent STEM graduates a year, but Michigan Tech is a similar polytech college.

OK, Georgia Tech and the University of Michigan are on the same level as part of the "Public Ivy League."

The University of Georgia is higher caliber and has a better reputation than Michigan State...even though MSU is still a great school.

So, just by a bit, Georgia's 1-2 punch beats Michigan.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
The difference is in the rankings.
Georgia Tech is 4th in the US for Engineering. It also has great internship and career finding opportunities.
Michigan Tech isn't even in the top 25.

Source: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ring-doctorate

US News Ranking
-University of Michigan- #4 for public schools and #28 nationally
-Georgia Institute of Technology- #7 for public schools and #34 nationally
-University of Georgia- #16 for public schools and #54 nationally
-Michigan State University- #33 for public schools and #81 nationally
This shows that the Georgia schools are better based on rankings.

Source: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ies/top-public

^^^^^^
And what he said...

Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
NO.

Georgia tech does not = Michigan. Michigan is a globally respected university across nearly every field and a top 25 global university. Georgia Tech is certainly an upper level engineering school, and good overall, but it ain't Michigan.

Start over.

Uh, YES.

The Georgia Institute of Technology is also a globally respected university across many fields. It is definitely more than just an upper-level engineering school.

Case closed.

Georgia Tech

Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Interesting thread. I guess reading it one question that I had was how many top-notch schools does one state need? For a large state like California, having multiple good in-state schools makes sense. For a state like Texas, Florida, or New York, it would also make sense, but while the schools listed are pretty good, it is surprising they don't have a better rated flagship university, especially Texas with it's large endowment.

Most of these other states don't have a large enough population to warrant having two top-notch state universities, so they employ one of two strategies:

1. They have two pretty good schools, or schools that are really great in a few departments but more mediocre in other areas: See Indiana or Georgia.
2. They have one really good school that is highly ranked in most departments, and a significant drop off to the second tier school but still some highly rated individual departments: See Michigan or North Carolina.

Virginia is kind of interesting: UVA is a great school, and William and Mary has a really good reputation, W&M but has more of a regional than national name recognition outside the Mid-Atlantic/Upper South.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Michigan St is not that highly rated. I agree. Michigan is a great school but slightly over rated.
of course, in your state it is referred to as "the school up north"

Old 02-23-2018, 04:04 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It also has two state schools with other state names

California University of PA
Indiana University of PA
Strange state, apparently weird when it comes up with university names. It's almost like you'd expect it to have a school named "Soapy Stone"

Old 02-23-2018, 07:08 AM

340 posts, read 321,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Interesting thread. I guess reading it one question that I had was how many top-notch schools does one state need? For a large state like California, having multiple good in-state schools makes sense. For a state like Texas, Florida, or New York, it would also make sense, but while the schools listed are pretty good, it is surprising they don't have a better rated flagship university, especially Texas with it's large endowment.

Most of these other states don't have a large enough population to warrant having two top-notch state universities, so they employ one of two strategies:

1. They have two pretty good schools, or schools that are really great in a few departments but more mediocre in other areas: See Indiana or Georgia.
2. They have one really good school that is highly ranked in most departments, and a significant drop off to the second tier school but still some highly rated individual departments: See Michigan or North Carolina.

Virginia is kind of interesting: UVA is a great school, and William and Mary has a really good reputation, W&M but has more of a regional than national name recognition outside the Mid-Atlantic/Upper South.
That is true. In fact, Georgia was having problems keeping state residents in their public unversities. They started the HOPE Scholarship and Zell Miller. This made cheaper to to attend college if you got one, and almost nothing if you get two. Thats how Georgia has gotten much more people to stay in Georgia for college. I do agree though, Georgia Tech gets a lot of people out of state.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Strange state, apparently weird when it comes up with university names. It's almost like you'd expect it to have a school named "Soapy Stone"
Those two (California of PA and Indiana of PA) are named for the towns they are located in, as is Slippery Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.