Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
All signs (demographics, dialect, architecture, hardiness zone) point to Washington as a Southern city. The feds consider it southern. Southern Living magazine considers it southern. I understand and accept that on CD it isn’t considered southern but the folks on these message boards are not the authority on such matters.

BTW, Amazon chose Arlington County. The county is named after Rober E Lee’s plantation. Arlington House sits above Arlington Cemetary. The North buried their dead in his rose garden while he was away, which was pretty f’ing rad and now the country has a beautiful cemetery.
Sorry but I'm from the area and have never heard of anyone claiming to be Southern. In todays terms the culture, accents, local cuisine, urban layout, voting patterns, sweet tea line etc... none of them point to it being Southern. You can choose to go off old arbitrary delineations if you want but NO. The locals disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 10:36 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Sorry but I'm from the area and have never heard of anyone claiming to be Southern. In todays terms the culture, accents, local cuisine, urban layout, voting patterns, sweet tea line etc... none of them point to it being Southern. You can choose to go off old arbitrary delineations if you want but NO. The locals disagree with you.
Sweet tea line? Come on now. In today's terms, there's no such thing as a sweet tea line is it?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Sweet tea line? Come on now. In today's terms, there's no such thing as a sweet tea line is it?
it's just another "cultural" element you can look at.... there does exist a clear line of where sweat tea starts though

Old 11-16-2018, 11:31 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Quote:
it's just another "cultural" element you can look at.... there does exist a clear line of where sweat tea starts though
It just seems silly and, wonder who came up with that. There are better ways of gauging a region....

Old 11-16-2018, 11:32 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,695 times
Well my brother lives in the PNW and looks at me and my wife with disdain because we are not born again. Basically, according to him, we are going to Hell. He also voted for Trump, although he claims to want a government that sounds a lot more like what the democrats have in mind than what the Donald has in store. He lives in a suburb/small town off interstate 90 and commutes to Seattle.

Most of the rest of my relatives are in Georgia and have been for decades. They were all born in Connecticut, but you wouldn't know it now. They have Georgian accents, smoke (which I gag on), drink, have pick up trucks with gun racks and voted for Trump, which, since they are not wealthy, was against their own interests, but they don't see it.

While I was in Georgia my family was initially discriminated against because we were Yankees, not because we were Catholics, but they are all Baptists now, so I guess they're officially good ole boys now.

Like with anything else I think people in cities have a lot more in common then the people in suburban and rural areas. I think that it's fair to say that the farther you get from a city, the more conservative and religious it gets, no matter where you are.

Personally I would not want to live in the South again. It's too conservative, too religious for me generally, and if someone were to say, Bless your heart, directed at me, I would likely be pissed off, because I know I've just be insulted, but like most things in the South, in the most friendly way.

When I retire in a few years I expect to relocate to the PNW to be near at least one family member who is a non-smoker, even if it is apparently just a way station before Hell. I'm looking forward to less snow and maybe a more liberal culture, but not the defecating on the sidewalk is OK, SJW/PC kind of liberal.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post

Personally I would not want to live in the South again. It's too conservative, too religious for me generally, and if someone were to say, Bless your heart, directed at me, I would likely be pissed off, because I know I've just be insulted, but like most things in the South, in the most friendly way.
Well you’d be pissed off for no reason, because “bless your heart†isn’t always used in a bad way. Many times it is sincere, like when you’re sick, or maybe your pet just died. It’s another way of saying “I’m so sorryâ€.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
It just seems silly and, wonder who came up with that. There are better ways of gauging a region....
sure.. there's plenty to show DC's cultural proximity to the it's northern peers vs. any in the south. Sweet tea line sounds silly but it does show culinary preferences and does show a distinct pattern of where consumption starts to reach a critical mass.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:06 PM

513 posts, read 499,454 times
Depends on what you want. Advantages of PNW are mild weather, natural beauty, plenty of jobs. Disadvantages are that it is expensive, a more introverted culture, a lot of homeless and street people (in the cities), very dreary winters, overly sanctimonious liberals (and I say that as a liberal myself, but it gets ridiculous here, just like the bible thumpers in the Southeast).

For me, the PNW is the right choice but it is not for everyone.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:37 PM

923 posts, read 665,549 times
Quote:
No sorry but DC is not SE and I didnt lump it in with the SE when I voted. Don't need to use DC when its convenient for you. Not one forumer from DC on CD has yet to claim being Southern. If DC was Southern in the psyche of regular Americans then Nova winning HQ2 would be touted as win for the South but you don't hear any of that do you?
Lol.
Explain please

Last edited by Be Proud; 11-16-2018 at 04:57 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 04:47 PM

923 posts, read 665,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Let's hear an example...or is this the typical be proud accuse-then-nothing?

My last post about the South was about Atlanta having a good plan for HQ2.

Otherwise I've said stuff like above-grade garages aren't urban. Again, if that's condescending, or you don't know the difference between opinion and insult, that's you not reading well.
Right. Im sure you think that because maybe you dont realize how you sound. Supercilious and full of nastiness when someone disagrees with you.
Ive never gotten more reps responding to you than any other post. At least 6 people so far agreeing with what ive said to you. So im gonna let it go and let you be you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.